This download has been blocked by your security zone policy

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
VanillaMozilla

Re: This download has been blocked by your security zone policy

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Qmarx,
You DO NOT want Phoenix. It's very old, very outdated, and very vulnerable to security problems. Just read the Knowledge Base article again, VERY carefully. And if that doesn't work, then and only then, post back here with a careful description of what went wrong.

Post by Guest »

Just realized anything served as an attachment is blocked for me, not just .exe files. There were other things in my download history but they were all downloaded prior to the FF3 upgrade (should I really be calling it an upgrade?). I am not seeing anything in the linked KB article or bug report that would help me fix it.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Guest, since you have told us NOTHING about what you have tried, no one can possibly help you. And from what you wrote, it sounds like you didn't actually try anything.

But from your description, it sounds like you have a problem with security software, and not necessarily the Windows security zone. Unfortunately, misguided, out-of-control security software is usually the cause of this sort of problem.
James

Post by James »

Qmarx wrote:Why do the Firefox developers insist upon turning it into Internet Explorer?

They are not doing such. Firefox is a cross platform browser as it can be used on a variety of OS's besides Windows as Mozilla provides Mac OSX and Linux builds also. Firefox would not be such a popular browser if it was trying to be IE, especially on Linux and Mac.
hrdubwd

Post by hrdubwd »

Solution found:
Set HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3\1806 to 0 or 1
and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3\1806 to 0 or 1
You may have to restart FF3 for this to work. A reboot does not appear to be required, but it remains possible.
These are the permissions for the Internet Zone - and it works for me. Whether this has opened anything else up or not, I am not sure, but FF3 is now working. How CU was set to 3 I have no idea (beyond the IE7 speculation earlier) when LM was 1. On the machine that has always worked, both were at 1 (= ask).

See http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archiv ... tting.aspx
Many thanks to Jim Mathies.

It would be good to know whether this is the solution for others as well.
Last edited by hrdubwd on July 15th, 2008, 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alice

Post by Alice »

hrdubwd wrote:Solution found:
Set HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3\1086 to 0 or 1
and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3\1086 to 0 or 1

You may have to restart FF3 for this to work. A reboot does not appear to be required, but it remains possible.
These are the permissions for the Internet Zone - and it works for me. Whether this has opened anything else up or not, I am not sure, but FF3 is now working. How CU was set to 3 I have no idea when LM was 1. On the machine that has always worked, both were at 1 (= ask).

See http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archiv ... tting.aspx

From your earlier posts in this thread, the problem machine had IE6 (WinXP. SP2) but it previously had IE7 installed, which you later uninstalled, (restoring IE6). To quote from your post,
...if that installation left what are now inaccessible registry values, it could account for the problem..

Good to hear that you fixed the problem without needing to reinstall IE7, by editing the registry, so that the inaccessible value for "Launching applications and unsafe files" (1806... not 1086!) was either Enable (0) or Prompt (1) in both HKCU (HKEY current user) and HKLM (HKEY local machine). I'll add that to the KB article.

I'm quoting your previous replies, below, in order.

hrdubwd wrote:I have two machines, side by side - same Internet connection through a switch - both XP Pro, SP2, fully patched, both IE6, both FF3. One works, the other does not. I have compared all the Internet Options, and the one that works is either the same or MORE conservative than the other. Something is corrupted somewhere. I simply cannot download anything unless the source is explicitly added to the Trusted sites list (tedious, but at least a feasible solution). The trouble is, I have no idea what else such a designation allows - I want to be able to decide what I download and from where, item by item. I think I am more reliable in that regard than Bill's spawn.
Can anybody say where in the Registry the relevant "Security Zone Policy" is defined? Resetting the machine that does not work to Low in Internet Options | Security has no effect. Neither does restoring defaults under the Advanced tab.

hrdubwd wrote:Now, I do recall that something I did a while ago installed IE7 for me - without announcement or option - and I promptly uninstalled it because everything was then broken; however, it was not a beta. But, if that installation left what are now inaccessible registry values, it could account for the problem.

I note this remark:
"This was more for average users who run into trouble on os's that set that exe download restriction flag by default."
from https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=425946#c16
All we have to do is find that flag, which I assume is in the registry.

I also note this: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=425946#c21

hrdubwd wrote:Testing: config: browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone -> false has no effect on this problem.
I can download .pdf, .zip, .dll.zip, but no .exe (unless from a trusted site). (Finding other file types to download directly is difficult - anyone have a test set of innocuous files?)
Again, in IE6 the 'Launching' option does not exist. Downloads | File download is enabled.
An .exe download (that is, from a trusted site) can be run from the download list in FF3; likewise in IE6.
The restriction on .exe download exists in IE6 as well (no problem with .zip or .pdf).
I cannot test the long filename, URL issue, but the filenames I am attempting are not particularly long (10 characters).
Sorry, nothing in the referenced documents helps.
The ADS / Zone identifier item has no effect.

It seems that adding a site to the trusted zone is the key for that one machine, <snip>
Alice Wyman
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

So it's looking like a Windows bug?

Thanks for fixing that, Alice. Do both MozillaZine KB and Sumo have something on this?

For the record, the link to the registry fix came from bug 425946, comment 29.
Alice

Post by Alice »

I added the registry fix to the MozillaZine KB article, Unable to save or download files under Reset system Internet security settings - Windows

The related SUMO article (which I also wrote) is:
Unable to download or save files (under "Reset system Internet security settings"

SUMO articles are geared towards "basic" users so I'm not going to add the registry fix there (although someone else might). The article does include a "credit" at the end, "Based on information from Unable to save or download files (mozillaZine KB)"
... so users should be able to find the registry edit solution if they click that link.
Alice Wyman

Post by Guest »

hrdubwd wrote:How CU was set to 3 I have no idea when LM was 1. On the machine that has always worked, both were at 1 (= ask).

There is a difference between the keys of CU (current user) and LM (local machine) and that's normal in most cases. This is how there can be differences in settings for different accounts on the computer. And maybe creating another account could solve the problem... at least to download the fixes/programs... By default, new accounts get the settings of LM + custom dirs/names...
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Alice wrote:SUMO articles are geared towards "basic" users so I'm not going to add the registry fix there (although someone else might). The article does include a "credit" at the end, "Based on information from Unable to save or download files (mozillaZine KB)"
... so users should be able to find the registry edit solution if they click that link.

I don't think a credit at the bottom is adequate. No one checks the credits when they are trying to solve a problem. Why not just give the information? You could just say, "Advanced users can solve the problem by editing a Windows Registry entry.[link to the KB section]"
Alice

Post by Alice »

VanillaMozilla wrote:I don't think a credit at the bottom is adequate. No one checks the credits when they are trying to solve a problem. Why not just give the information? You could just say, "Advanced users can solve the problem by editing a Windows Registry entry.[link to the KB section]"

Why not register at SUMO and give the information yourself? :)

Seriously, go get a SUMO account. At the very least, you could add a comment to the Contributors forum, requesting that the information be added to that article with a link back to this thread or to the MozillaZine article.

VanillaMozilla wrote:So it's looking like a Windows bug?

Looks that way, if uninstalling IE7 removed UI access to any customized settings for "Launching applications and unsafe files, which is not available in IE6 via Internet Optiions .... Sort of like in Firefox, when you change an option in the UI and then the UI is removed in a new version, and you have to use about:config to fix it? (example ... due to bug 287571)

The thing is, there are other circumstances in which IE7 is installed and the "Launching applications and unsafe files" option is already set to "Prompt", but downloading any exe file still results in the Fx 3 error, This download has been blocked by your security zone policy in the Downloads window. Reinstalling IE7 does seem to work in such cases and is safer for inexperienced users then editing the registry. The registry edit solution (or even simply toggling the setting via the UI) may also fix the problem when IE7 is already installed, although no one has specifically confirmed that it does.
Alice Wyman
xplogos

Post by xplogos »

I had this problem with FF3, IE6 and IE7 standalone on a machine. I'll be honest - Read through the first couple of page of this thread, and tried the registry key solution and it still didn't work. If someone posted this solution in one of the other pages I didn't read - sorry.

Then I went into Security settings for the internet zone, and changed "Installation of desktop items" to enable, saved, then set it to prompt, and saved again. Finally! this sorted the problem in IE6 and FF3.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Hi, xplogos,

Thanks for the information but could you explain some more?

You said that "I had this problem with FF3, IE6 and IE7 standalone on a machine". I don't understand. Do you have both IE6 and IE7 installed on the same computer at the same time, or what?

The IE7 setting that causes downloads to be blocked in Firefox 3 is "Launching applications and unsafe files", which is directly below "Installation of desktop items" in the Internet Options Security settings. The default setting for both is "Prompt (recommended)".

Did you first try the other solutions suggested in the MozillaZine KB article, Unable to save or download files under Reset system Internet security settings - Windows ... such as toggling "Launching applications and unsafe files" (assuming you had that setting) or resetting all Internet Security zones to the default levels?

I have IE7 installed. I set "Installation of desktop items" to "Disable" and I had no problems downloading exe files in Firefox 3 (I used http://port25.technet.com/videos/downloads/wmpfirefoxplugin.exe as my test download), so I'm not sure what happened in your case. You also said that toggling the "Installation of desktop items" setting, sorted the problem in IE6 and FF3. ... does that mean you didn't have a problem with IE7 exe downloads, or that you still can't download exe files with IE7?

Thanks again.
Alice Wyman
thecowhaspoken

Post by thecowhaspoken »

go into internet options security and reset all zones to default level, then move the level down to medium. worked for me
cupidsqueen420

Post by cupidsqueen420 »

I'm having similar issues. I recently updated one of the computers in my office to FF3 and I cannot download our VPN software via firefox anymore. It doesn't even bring up the downloads page at all... also my company developed a site strictly for use with FF2 (hasn't been tested in FF3 yet)and certain downloadable xls documents are not able to download with FF3 it says "the download has been blocked by your security policy" or something like that. Very much annoying.