GrayModern for Firefox

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Bernie

GrayModern for Firefox

Post by Bernie »

A sign of things to come...?

Last edited by Bernie on February 18th, 2004, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernie Zimmermann
http://www.bernzilla.com
storm119

Post by storm119 »

uuhhh...nice work.But i like the `Modern' one. :)
scratch

Post by scratch »

someone already did this.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

scratch wrote:someone already did this.

As far as I can tell, the current GrayModern themes for Firefox are "colorless" copies of a port of the Modern (or maybe Phoenity Modern?) theme that was done beforehand. I'm a little too picky to settle for a copy of a copy, so I've been spending some time porting the actual GrayModern theme from Mozilla 1.6 over to Firefox 0.8. However, it sounds like people are happy and content with what's available, so I won't have to worry about packing this thing up and distributing it. It's not anywhere near done anyway...yet.
Bernie Zimmermann
mommajoan

Post by mommajoan »

I am not happy and content with what is available. I would very much like to be able to use this theme in Firefox and will be anxiously awaiting it.

And thank you for being picky. This looks like a very nice theme.
storm119

Post by storm119 »

Yeah,I second that.Maybe you might see what sailfish did http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 4&start=45 .Very nice touch and maybe you can get some idea for your project then :)

Anyway i like more to the `blue' version.

Good luck...and looking forward for your unrelease theme :)
rob08

Post by rob08 »

i am interested in this too, i am not a fan of the other copied version of "modern"
snyggve
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Well, I'm glad to hear there are at least a few people out there who are theme perfectionists like me ;)

I'll continue working on the port and try and post some updates here over time. I still need to get in touch with the original creator of the GrayModern theme and make sure I'm not stepping on any toes or anything.

One thing I would be interested in knowing, though, is would you guys (or gals) be interested in having the theme available in an unfinished state (e.g. where certain icons and/or positioning issues are not quite worked out), or is it better to wait until the theme is solid. If the latter is true, it might be a while...
Last edited by Bernie on February 20th, 2004, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernie Zimmermann
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

I don't think my copy of a copy is good enough, either! It's got way too many bugs, and I don't have the knowledge to make a proper theme anyway. I would much prefer someone who knows what they're doing and is already working on it (i.e., you) to make a proper conversion.

Don't hesitate to pass out a release!
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Zeron wrote:I don't think my copy of a copy is good enough, either! It's got way too many bugs, and I don't have the knowledge to make a proper theme anyway. I would much prefer someone who knows what they're doing and is already working on it (i.e., you) to make a proper conversion.

Don't hesitate to pass out a release!
Glad to hear you're on board, Zeron. I haven't seen your version in action, so I can't really comment on it, but having been through the buttload of code involved in working on these themes, I can surely appreciate your efforts!

I'll be looking forward to your feedback, tips, suggestions, etc., once I get a release out in the wild.
Bernie Zimmermann
storm119

Post by storm119 »

Bernie wrote:One thing I would be interested in knowing, though, is would you guys (or gals) be interested in having the theme available in an unfinished state (e.g. where certain icons and/or positioning issues are not quite worked out), or is it better to wait until the theme is solid. If the latter is true, it might be a while...

Well,let see...eemmh. My vote wait till you finish at 80-85 % stage before you release for public test. You know at this point almost all major problems/bugs have been fixed and the same time we also can give you some good feed back before you go for finishing touch,IMO.

Anyway i've few questions to ask...

1).Your current status project?,
2).Only grey modern?, how about the the `blue' modern?
3).This theme; include the skins for Help,Download manager, Confirmation Box, DOMi...etc?
4).Are this theme looks more glowess?
5).What throbber you will use?

And....thats it for now.Btw....sorry if i ask to much :)

Good luck and wish you succed :wink:
zibit

Post by zibit »

YES. Perfectionist.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

storm119 wrote:My vote wait till you finish at 80-85 % stage before you release for public test.

Sounds reasonable. I'd say I'm at about 70% right now.

storm119 wrote:Anyway i've few questions to ask...

1).Your current status project?,
2).Only grey modern?, how about the the `blue' modern?
3).This theme; include the skins for Help,Download manager, Confirmation Box, DOMi...etc?
4).Are this theme looks more glowess?
5).What throbber you will use?

I'll answer questions 2-5 the best I can before I answer 1, which will require the most long-winded reply.

2. Yes, only GrayModern. I'm not a big fan of the original Modern theme, and my main motivation here is to have my favorite theme available on my favorite browser.

3. Modifying the theme to support extensions is low priority for me right now. Once the theme handles a base Firefox install well, I may go on to support those popular extensions (like the ones you mentioned).

4. Not sure I understand what you mean by "glowess?" I am doing my best to make this theme look as close to the Mozilla Suite version as I can...so if you've seen that, you have a good idea of what the port will look like.

5. Right now I am using the blue "M" throbber that was used in the original GrayModern theme. It doesn't seem as fitting in Firefox, but it's the best option right now, IMO. Hopefully some official Firefox throbbers will be made available shortly, at which point I'll pop one in.

And now, for a general update on my progress...

Amazingly enough, I've come a long way since I started last week. Right now the UI is complete from a Bernie standpoint (i.e. it looks perfect when Firefox is setup the way I use Firefox). However, I know there are plenty of people out there who like to add extra icons to their toolbar, run in small icon and text mode, etc., so I'm now beginning to work on those phases of the port.

I'm also doing my best to weed out any remnants of the Qute theme, which I have been using as the base of the port. I've come quite a long way in this area, but there's still a way to go. I also need to track down a strange bug that occurs whenever I view the Customize Toolbars dialog. For some reason, after I view that dialog and hit OK, it closes and all of my navigation buttons end up on the right side of the URL bar. Bizarre!

I also still need to get the sidebar in shape (lots of Qute remnants still) and I'd like to maybe add a few enhancements to the theme in at least a couple places, just to bring it up to speed with modern UI techniques. For instance, I might add some transparency to the URL drop down, etc.

Anyhow, that's my long-winded status report. If anyone has any questions, ideas or suggestions, please feel free to share them here.
Bernie Zimmermann
storm119

Post by storm119 »

Bernie wrote:4. Not sure I understand what you mean by "glowess?" I am doing my best to make this theme look as close to the Mozilla Suite version as I can...so if you've seen that, you have a good idea of what the port will look like.

Sorry for my bad English.Anyway what actually i mean its look more `Glows'.I'm referring to grey color should be nice if look more brightness (metallic appearance).IMO.

BTW..wish you good luck and look forward for your public release. :)
Legoguy

Post by Legoguy »

I was wondering when someone was going do do this. I myself am not perfectly content with the updated Modern theme I've done so I've stated in that thread that I will be porting the actual modern; but wait, this is where I might help you: I've replicated the buttons, with their shadows and all, as transparent PNGs. That means you need not worry about the background color (although I had to make the shadow have a tint of blue which is fixable). If you want them, ask, but it looks like you're actually doing fairly well right now. Good luck fellow themer. :D