Newbie-Webmail accounts

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
doonboggle

Newbie-Webmail accounts

Post by doonboggle »

Am a newbie to TB as result of Ypops, pop3 utility for web mail retrieval, becoming unusable due to Yahoo's recent changes. Have installed latest TB and webmail extension, along with Yahoo extension.

Have got my initial TB account (doonboggle) working; both receiving and sending. Used localhost for both incoming and outgoing servers ... at least I think that's how I describe it. Am not that proficient in server protocol. Just an old man trying to get this darn email conundrum working again.

With the default account, when I Get or Send, I can see the progress strip working A-OK.

Now tried to set up another account (jawhoot) by following settings for the default account ... with one exception ... that being the outgoing (SMTP ??) server. For that, I established one, just like the default, but with the jawhoot username process; thus in effect, as I see it, 2 different outgoing servers.

For retrieval what happens there with this new account is that while it connects to the incoming ... at least reflects that there are a number of messages there, it fails to download them to TBl and eventually times out.

For sending, it initially asks for password, which I input and save, but nothing goes out ... and eventually it asks for password again; and eventually giving the message that connection to the server failed.

Would appreciate your kind advice. Please try to be basic as I am not that familiar with settings for TB.
Thanks
doon

I am using XP SP2. If I need to advise of other stuff, please advise and will try to do so.
DanRaisch

Re: Newbie-Webmail accounts

Post by DanRaisch »

No offense intended, but did you first create the jawhoot account on the Yahoo side?
doonboggle

Post by doonboggle »

I'm not sure I follow the question.

If you are asking if the account was in existence before all this began, yes ... all my accounts at Yahoo are over 15 years old.

Thanks
doon

DanRaisch wrote:No offense intended, but did you first create the jawhoot account on the Yahoo side?
steviex

Post by steviex »

Jist as an added help, here is my picture guide to the yahoo setup....
Make sure that your user name is your FULL email Address....

Set up the Account as follows.... Make sure you substitute your FULL email address for myaddresst@hotmail.co.uk

Use the SMTP settings here.....
Make sure that you substitute your FULL emaill Address for myaddress@hotmail.co.uk

Make sure that you configure the settings in the Yahoo Extension to use the correct version of Yahoo you are using...
Use the Beta Setting if your Mail Window looks something like this
Use the Production Setting if it looks like this

Read this for more instructions on setting up Hotmail and Yahoo on Thunderbird viewtopic.php?p=2743650#2743650
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
doonboggle

Post by doonboggle »

Thank you. I had come across that earlier in my searching for guidance, but thought it was not applicable since it begins with using Web mail ... and all other guides I had come across started off with simply Email account.

Will give this a shot, and get back to you regarding results.
doon
Last edited by doonboggle on July 23rd, 2008, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doonboggle

Post by doonboggle »

Steviex: Tried that process by deleting the old Jawhoot account and settings,, and then resetting it up again. It did not work. I have a new unopened test message in the accounts Yahoo box, and TB did not retrieve it. I then went back over to the Yahoo box to see if the unopened message was still there ... and it was ... and still unopened. While it shows a new message, and shows the indication of downloading, nevertheless the downloading never is completed ... and showing that localhost has timed out. .

I also tried to send out a message ... and got the same results as before ... indicating attempting to connect to host, but not doing so ... and ultimately asks for password again.
doon
steviex

Post by steviex »

What I suggest, is that you post in the WebMail Extension thread, which the Extension Author monitors... viewtopic.php?f=48&t=558335
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
steviex

Post by steviex »

I have merged your post into the Webmail thread viewtopic.php?f=48&t=558335

Please carry on in that thread. Do NOT start another thread.

I am locking this thread, so all your answes will be in one place...