Ben Goodger blog blocking IE. Thoughts?

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
gids

Ben Goodger blog blocking IE. Thoughts?

Post by gids »

You might know that Ben Goodger's blog is now blocking IE citing non standards compliance.
I don't really think this is the way to go, after all many of the compatability problems Firefox faces today comes from people designing sites with stupid browser detection scripts. I would rather offer IE users a crippled version suggesting Firefox as offering an optimum experience. If people choose to see a crippled version with IE that's up to them...
Obviously it's Ben's blog, so he can do what he likes, but I would be interested in views round these parts about it, since people here are on the 'front line' of evangelism efforts.
Thumper's Evil Twin

Post by Thumper's Evil Twin »

The IE blocking is a statement cunningly worded like a 1996 browser blocker. It's a special case.

- Chris
WeSaySo

Post by WeSaySo »

He's also saying Seamonkey 1.6 is not good. A little partisan perhaps?
Ad astra
Lost User 12174

Post by Lost User 12174 »

interesting.
i kind of like it.
although i would probably add a link to continue on to the rest of my site.

maybe if an IE user visits my site have a page come up saying something similar to bens and mentoin how IE is 3 years old etc. etc. and to consider an alternative.. provide links to alternatives and then have a button to continue on tot he rest of my site.

or something along the lines of this guys harrassment section of his website
http://toadstool.se/journal/
Qeantk

Post by Qeantk »

I'm personally a fan of the sidebar warning, and then not worrying any further about designing for Browser X (in my case anything before document.getElementById, but I am considering cutting out Mac IE 5, and next will be Win IE 5.0). I am philophically opposed to specific browser sniffing based lock-outs. I try to do as little overt browser sniffing as possible, basing it solely on whether needed functionality exists, or strictly neccessary work-arounds.

Of course, if I do decide to stop designing for some gen 5 browsers, then I might need to tweak that stance - but I suppose brower specific sniffing just for the warning wouldn't be the end of the world.

I can see why Ben might have a different view of it, though, FOR HIS BLOG.
old momokatte

Post by old momokatte »

Ben's blog thinks Mozilla Fireunicorn 0.8 is Seamonkey. I'm disappointed. Time to throw "Firefox/0.8 polymorph" in the vendor comment, perhaps.
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

I think it is idiotic. One might explain why certain things do not work with other or old browsers, but blocking is impolite, against the spirit of the web, and in this case, childish. It gets even more idiotic by placing a hint at the page telling me "The browser you are using is not providing you the most efficient online experience. Upgrade to Firefox today and see why Forbes Magazine said, "Microsoft should be worried." when I use the suite.
I prefer the suite, there is no difference in the rendering engine between the suite and Firefox, so this is complete rubbish.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
Jeff_pony

Post by Jeff_pony »

I get the 'upgrade' message even though I am using Firefox. Whats that about?

Edit: Ahh I know why... I am using Airpony. Thanks to the name change extension :D
Please PM the mod team when you see a rule infraction
Life State:: McLovin it
Camino v2.1 (pre)
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

I really think that doing it this way is just giving FF/Mozilla a bad reputation. I have always critisized the "IE only" or "optimized for IE" attitude and now I have to see this with changed polarity which is sad. If I visit a web page I do not want the author to lecture me about what browser he thinks I should use, at least not in such an impolite and inflexible way, thank you very much.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Internet Explorer is blocked.

<i>"The browser you are using (Microsoft Internet Explorer) is not supported at this time due to incomplete support for web standards. By using Microsoft Internet Explorer you are making it difficult for web content providers to give you a better internet experience because they must design material for the limited functionality that it offers.

Please upgrade your browser today and enjoy the web as it was meant to be!"</i>

Any other browsers gets this:

<i>"The browser you are using is not providing you the most efficient online experience. Upgrade to Firefox today and see why Forbes Magazine said, "Microsoft should be worried."</i>

Tested with Mozilla Suite, Opera, K-meleon and NetScape.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Tbh, what commonplace IE users are going to find and read Ben's blog?
Lost User 12174

Jeff_pony wrote:I get the 'upgrade' message even though I am using Firefox. Whats that about?

Edit: Ahh I know why... I am using Airpony. Thanks to the name change extension :D
#-o worst extention ever.
Jeff_pony

Post by Jeff_pony »

GURT wrote:#-o worst extention ever.

Me and my Airpony think different :D
Please PM the mod team when you see a rule infraction
Life State:: McLovin it
Camino v2.1 (pre)
old momokatte

Post by old momokatte »

No, it's the one that changes the name of your browser in the titlebar, and optionally the user-agent, just for fun.

Firesomething extension

EDIT: The post this was a response to has disappeared.
Lost User 12174

sorry.. i didn't understand.
i just dont feel that changing whatever it is that sites look at to detect what browser you're using [the user agent?] is a good idea.
hope i didn't offend yous.