Missing sent folder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Schiehallion13

Missing sent folder

Post by Schiehallion13 »

Hi

I seem to have lost the 'sent' folder for one of my e-mail accounts on Thunderbird. Every other address has all the folders that should be there including ones that I created. I checked my settings and it is ticked to put my sent mail in this folder.

It is not something that I need to go into often, so I am not sure when it disappeared, but I need to check some old mail. Any ideas?

Cheers

Michael
BronxinNC

Re: Missing sent folder

Post by BronxinNC »

Michael,

This is a long shot, but make sure that in View>folders you don't have "unread" checked. Use "all"

Bronx
Mozilla/6.0 (Windows; U; Windows 7; en-US; Firefox/16 T'bird 16
47demoh9

Post by 47demoh9 »

Hi Bronx

I checked that, and it is set to 'all', but thanks for trying. It is a strangs one, as I have used mozilla for a couple of years on the same pc, and I am the only one who has access to it. I updated the version of thunderbird a few weeks ago, but as the sent folder is not something I need very often, I have no idea of when it went missing.

Michael
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Close Thunderbird and navigate to the profile folder -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folder

Locate the directory for the email account that is missing the Sent folder. In that directory, look for a file named Sent, with no file name extension. Post back here to let us know if the file is there.
Schiehallion13

Post by Schiehallion13 »

Hi

I have one Sent file in that folder, but it has the extensions .msf

Michael
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

With Thunderbird closed, delete the file Sent.msf in that folder. Restart Thunderbird and send yourself a test message from that account. TB should create a new Sent file.
Schiehallion13

Post by Schiehallion13 »

Hi

I deleted that file, but it did not create a new sent folder on re start.

Thanks

Michael
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Under Tools->Account Settings->Copies & Folders make certain that you have selected "Place a copy in" and that you have chosen a folder to be the Sent folder for that account.
Schiehallion13

Post by Schiehallion13 »

Hi DanRaisch

Sorry for the slow reply, but I have been unable to do as you asked due to another problem with Thunderbird. I receive mail to five e-mail addresses with no problem. However, recently I am unable to send mail from these acounts, When I try I get a Error 553 message which says because we've upgraded your BT Yahoo! Mail security to help prevent identity fraud and spam. And also: emails you send from non–BT Yahoo! Mail addresses via our SMTP servers may be blocked.

I followed the instructions given and authenticated all my accounts, but with the same results. I called the BT/Yahoo helpline who checked my account and said my addresses were fine, but blamed the e-mail program I was using (Thunderbird). To prove this, they installed Outlook Express, added the same e-mail accounts, and I can now send with no problem.

However, I think Thunderbird is a far supperior product, and as I have been using it for three years I would like it back.

Is there any way to fix this problem?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

See this thread -- viewtopic.php?f=39&t=776095
Schiehallion13

Post by Schiehallion13 »

Hi Dan Raisch

Thank you for your help with the above problem. I can now send mail through Thunderbird once again. and on doing so it created a new sent folder for me.

Is it now possible to recover all the mail I had in the sent folder before it disappeared?

Many thanks

Michael
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No. I'm sorry but if the file Sent with no filename extension was not in the directory with the Sent.msf file, the data seem to be lost.

You're welcome.
Schiehallion13

Post by Schiehallion13 »

Hi Dan

Thanks for all your help.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome. I'm sorry it did not turn out better for you.
Sisterchick

Post by Sisterchick »

Just had to say thank you to Dan for all the information on the missing sent file. I've been having this problem for quite a while and couldn't figure it out, but this information fixed it :)