"Home"-Button, variable width for adress field

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
sgipan

"Home"-Button, variable width for adress field

Post by sgipan »

Thanks for the great work; here are two feature-ideas:

(1) I don't want a "Home"-Button since anything I want to access quickly I can access via a Toolbar-Bookmark. So I would like to have an option "Disable Home-Button" in my General Preferences. This would make the button disappear, obviously.

(2) it would be *really* cool if the Search field could have a variable width! If it can't be variable, I'd make it 1,5 - 2 times as long as it is now.

Thx.,
Stephan
laszlo

Re: "Home"-Button, variable width for adress field

Post by laszlo »

sgipan wrote:(1) I don't want a "Home"-Button since anything I want to access quickly I can access via a Toolbar-Bookmark. So I would like to have an option "Disable Home-Button" in my General Preferences. This would make the button disappear, obviously.

This is possible in both Mozilla and Phoenix. Since we're in the Phoenix forum here, did you already discover the toolbar customization (View > Toolbars > Customize)?
Bc

Post by Bc »

Could you take the quick search off phoenix if you wanted?

-Bc
grayrest

Post by grayrest »

Bc wrote:Could you take the quick search off phoenix if you wanted?

-Bc

Yes, Right click on the toolbar and choose customize, then drag the quick search off the bar and onto the palette.
sgipan

Post by sgipan »

laszlo wrote:
sgipan wrote:(1) I don't want a "Home"-Button since anything I want to access quickly I can access via a Toolbar-Bookmark. So I would like to have an option "Disable Home-Button" in my General Preferences. This would make the button disappear, obviously.

This is possible in both Mozilla and Phoenix. Since we're in the Phoenix forum here, did you already discover the toolbar customization (View > Toolbars > Customize)?

uh-oh.. redfaced :oops: - do you also know sth. about plans for the variable width field for the address-/search fields?
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

sgipan wrote:do you also know sth. about plans for the variable width field for the address-/search fields?

No, I'm afraid not. I personally don't use it, but I agree with you that a variable width would probably increase the usability of the search field.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

sgipan wrote:Thanks for the great work; here are two feature-ideas:

(2) it would be *really* cool if the Search field could have a variable width! If it can't be variable, I'd make it 1,5 - 2 times as long as it is now.

Create a new toolbar for it, and then it can have the whole space to itself. The Address bar will take up as much space on a line as it can.

- Chris
sgipan

Post by sgipan »

thumperward wrote:
sgipan wrote:Thanks for the great work; here are two feature-ideas:

Create a new toolbar for it, and then it can have the whole space to itself. The Address bar will take up as much space on a line as it can.

- Chris

Thanx very much for the hint.
However, the really nice thing 'bout Phoenix (pah, only one of them!) is its superlean interface that doesn't eat up space for the page content. An extra toolbar would. And the address bar seems especifically long (longer than any address I've evert typed in, anyways) and the search field seems especifically short (shorter than any search term I've ever typed in, anyways ;-)
- Stephan

PS: just another question I've been wondering: what's the process on feature ideas? The developers browse through the forum and see what interests/makes sense to them? The moderators pass on to them what interests/makes sense to them? Do you have to register it with BugZilla as an "enhancement"?
- Just Wondering in Montevideo
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

sgipan wrote:However, the really nice thing 'bout Phoenix (pah, only one of them!) is its superlean interface that doesn't eat up space for the page content. An extra toolbar would. And the address bar seems especifically long (longer than any address I've evert typed in, anyways) and the search field seems especifically short (shorter than any search term I've ever typed in, anyways ;-)

I've removed the Search field and use Keyword Quicksearch in my address field, which gives me a very long address bar. For instance, you can type "google foobar" and it will take you to a Google search page for 'foobar'. Infinitely customizable. The only thing you can't do with it is "search in page", but Type Ahead Find takes care of that. Check the default bookmarks that a new installation of Phoenix gives you for more information.