rtsp, mozex, Firefox 3 and Linux

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
theillien

rtsp, mozex, Firefox 3 and Linux

Post by theillien »

I did a search as best I could for a solution to this but came up dry on the results that came up.

I'm running FF3 on openSuSE. I have Real Player installed and the Helix DNA plugin is listed under about:plugins. However, under the Applications tab of the Options dialog rtsp is not listed nor does Real Player appear for anything.

I found an older thread here which said to add rtsp to the media types within Real Player but the current version doesn't have that option under the Content tab of its Preferences. In fact, the media types don't appear to be configurable at all under any of the tabs.

I also found threads pointing to the MozEx extension. However, after going through the install twice it became evident that it wasn't going to work because it wasn't actually installing. I then noticed on its page that it was last updated in 2004 for FF2.

Are there other ways to get FF3 to acknowledge the rtsp protocol and tell it to use Real Player to handle the streams?

-Mathew
fswl1234

Re: rtsp, mozex, Firefox 3 and Linux

Post by fswl1234 »

in about:config , add
network.protocol-handler.app.rtsp /usr/bin/realplay

then click a rtsp:// link (no need to restart) and you should get a dialog

that's how i manage it with ed2k
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=428658
theillien

Post by theillien »

Ach! I added that as a String value but the trailing 'p' has been chopped off so all I get is network.protocol-handler.app.rts. I can't figure out where to edit it. I found prefs.js and doing a grep for realplay leads to *profile_dir*/prefs.js:user.js but I don't have an actual user.js file to edit. Nor does about:config allow me to delete the value.
fswl1234

Post by fswl1234 »

i don't think an extra network.protocol-handler.app.rts pref would do any damage, many extensions add their own prefs and do not clean up when uninstalled
but "right click - reset" should get rid of it --> http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config
James

Post by James »

theillien wrote:Nor does about:config allow me to delete the value.

To delete a added or reset a default Preference, just right-click trhe Preference and select "Reset". You may need to restart Firefox after.