Firefox PROCESS won't shut down

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jackmccarron

Firefox PROCESS won't shut down

Post by jackmccarron »

Using Vista and Firefox 2.0.0.16 on Toshiba Satellite L305 and wireless network internet link. Problem is this:

Firefox works for a while, then stops working (won't open any websites). Wireless status says "connected to local and internet". IE (ugh) still works fine. Firefox on my other computer (running XP) on the network still works fine.

If I close Firefox and try to relaunch it, I get a message saying it's already running! Checking Task Manager shows Firefox NOT running as an APPLICATION, but does show firefox.exe running as a PROCESS, sometimes two or three of them. The memory usage shown varies between 40K and 60K with 0% CPU usage for each instance. Trying to terminate these Firefox processes doesn't work - they just sit there staring at me. I have to reboot the computer to get rid of them, and then Firefox works normally again for a while.

Suggestions?
Thanks,
Jack
SK.

Re: Firefox PROCESS won't shut down

Post by SK. »

Does the information in this knowledge base article help?

Which extensions are you using in Firefox?
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

You shouldn't ever have more than one firefox.exe process running. You picked up some malware somewhere.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox.exe_always_open

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Tetra Hydra

Post by Tetra Hydra »

I'm having an issue with FF 3.6, it wouldn't be the first either. All of the issues I am finding, I am tracking down to processes that have automatically "uploaded" to my PC via java scripting. I am locating the servers of which they come from. In the past few day's, I have had over 14 attempts to access my computer. I don't play fair, and the laws are on my side when it comes to anti-cyber terrorism and counter cyber-warfare. Some of the processes, names, and other infor are as follows:

Adaware.ZangoSearch with registry numbers 770e79bfd01
jqsnotify.exe

xeno.exe from supremestrategy.com/files/xeno.exe (no fing clue, sounds like something for a game hack, but I'm not a gamer. I play Command and Conquer on a much better platform than my ol' faithful programming Dell)

suspicious.MH690.A with registry numbers a27d6d56d01
Downloader.MisleadApp registry:fafcddd0d01
Adware.ZangoSearch reg:a60e7bafd01

I see quite a few trojans after that, one seems to be affecting .vbs files. I just got on about 5 minutes ago, give me a day and I'll post who I find accountable for these.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You are infected and you need to get your machine cleaned.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Tetra Hydra, if you need additional support please start a new topic. The one you posted to here died out two years ago.

Locking this due to the age of the original posts.