Mozilla Won't Wrap in HTML Sends

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
art

Mozilla Won't Wrap in HTML Sends

Post by art »

Sometimes when I send a BCC to someone, the message does not wrap but continues horizontally and the horizontal scroll bar must be used. The original looks OK on my screen but the recipient gets the non-wrapping version. When I look at the message using "page source" it shows it not wrapping.
I'm using 1.4 with Windows XP. Character coding is Western (ISO-8859-1), if that matters. My wife uses 1.4 in her business so I'm under pressure to get this resolved. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Art
Jim Pivonka

Post by Jim Pivonka »

When I send HTML email prepared in Mozilla and it is opened by someone using WEBMAIL and the IE browser, the paragraphs do not wrap, but continue horizontally and the horizontal scroll bar must be used. I have not yet determined if this occurs when the mail is opened in Outlook or Outlook Express, but do not believe it does, since neither my daughter nor other users using OE and Outlook express have complained.

The same email is opened and displayed properly (paragraphs wrap to window width) when the WEBMAIL is accessed via the Mozilla browser.

My sense is that IE is not finding a control it is looking for when it handles webmail, that would tell it to wrap paragraphs. I know that Mozilla tries to be standards compliant, while IE is not standards compliant. It is possible that IE is expecting something that the standard does not require, but a lot of other possible explanations exist as well.

I suspect that a bug report is needed on this problemm

Mozilla 1.4 build ? 20030624 ?
IE6
Win XP Pro
Jim Pivonka

Post by Jim Pivonka »

This problem is consistent, and easily reproducible:

1. Prepare and send HTML email (including long paragraphs) using Mozilla mail and news to an address accessible via WEBMAIL
2. Access the email via webmail using the Mozilla browser, verify that paragraphs wrap in the read mail window
3. Access the email via webmail using the IE browser, verify that the paragraphs are not wrapping, an that the horizontal scroll bar must be used to read each paragraph.
Jim Pivonka

Post by Jim Pivonka »

Following the steps posted above, I noted that the email accessed via webmail using the IE browser did not display properly. The paragraphs did not wrap, and the scroll bar had to be used to read the mail.

The long paragraphs in the email should have wrapped, so that scrolling was not required in order to read the email.
Jim Pivonka

Post by Jim Pivonka »

The problem, "Webmail readers in IE will not wrap paragraphs of Mozilla prepared mail", may need reposting, as it is a problem with the way IE handles Mozilla mail - and which program is "at fault" is unknown (to me at least). Judging from how few responses there have been to the original posting, the issue may need a sexier title to get attention.

Outlook Express reads the mail correctly.
Webmail accessed through Mozilla reads the mail correctly.
AOL reads the mail correctly.
All other email clients, so far as I have been advised by my mailing list, read the mail correctly.

Only Internet Explorer, used to access Webmail, fails to wrap the paragraphs properly.

I am recommending to my friends and relatives that they drop IE as their browser in favor of one (like Mozilla) which does not garble the paragraphs, and which does not use the insecure (and Intell Property conflicted) Active X capability. (IE must be retained on the machine though, as it is needed for Windows Update and a few websites which are IE dependent since thay do not comply with W3C standards.) http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... Feb28.html

I do this reluctantly, since updates/upgrades to Mozilla are so risky, onerous, and User Unfriendly, in that Mozilla must be completely uninstalled before such updates and profile migration is a black art, if possible at all.