Received Multiple Copies of Same Message

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
hociman

Received Multiple Copies of Same Message

Post by hociman »

Hello,

I am using Thunderbird v2.0.0.16 with Windows XP Pro SP 2. I have Thunderbird configured to automatically check for new messages every minute. I had a series of attachments sent to my email address from a single email account. When Thunderbird was downloading the messages, I noticed it was downloading each message 2 or 3 times. I checked my email account through a web interface, and there was only one copy of each message visible in the web interface. This leads me to believe that whatever caused me to see multiple copies of the same message in Thunderbird.

This is my theory for why I had multiple copies of the same message in Thunderbird. If anyone can corroborate or refute this, I would appreciate it.

A message is delivered at 9:50 AM with a 5MB attachment. Thunderbird checks for new mail, finds this attachment, and starts downloading it. Thunderbird checks for new mail at 9:51 AM, and even though it has started downloading the 5MB attachment, it isn't finished. As a result, the 9:51 AM check sees the message with the 5MB attachment as a new message and starts downloading it. Eventually all the downloads catch up with the checking interval and this cycle stops, but not before multiple copies of the same message/attachment are in my Inbox.

Is this possible? Does Thunderbird have safeguards in place to prevent this that weren't working?

Thanks for reading!
-Jonathan
SK.

Re: Received Multiple Copies of Same Message

Post by SK. »

I do not think what you are suggesting is the nature of the problem. The best way to test is to set the check interval for an hour and send yourself the same 5Mb attachment.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
hociman

Post by hociman »

It's not going to take an hour to download a 5Mb attachment though. What is this test going to prove or disprove?
-Jonathan
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It is precisely because it will not take an hour to download 5MB that SK suggested waiting that long. If you do get multiple messages with that scan interval it will prove that it is not the "search for new message" interval that is the issue.

Also, what type of account is that POP or IMAP? (It seems to be POP). How recently have you compacted the message folders? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_: ... ng_Folders
hociman

Post by hociman »

I respectfully assert that the two of you are missing my point.

I will try to illustrate my theory with some ASCII art.

9:50 AM 5MB attachment begins downloading to Thunderbird
------------------->9:51 AM Thunderbird checks for mail, 5MB download from 9:50 AM is not finished
Begin downloading 5MB attachment again------------>

If I wait an hour, of course the download will be done. So it does nothing to prove my theory that the download started again because the first download wasn't completed.

As for compacting, I have to get back to the workstation in question and let you know.
-Jonathan
SK.

Post by SK. »

I'm not missing the point. You are asserting that you know the problem is that Thunderbird is re-requesting the same message to be downloaded because it is not finished with the initial download. In four years of supporting Thunderbird, I have never seen that happen. My message retrieval timers are all set to one minute and I regularly receive messages with multiple megabyte attachments.

I have asked you to test that assertion with a very simple request. Had you acquiesced to my request four hours ago, we would have solid evidence to lead us in one direction or another. As I see it, should you deign to allow the test, we will see one of two results:

1. You will only receive a single copy of the message.
2. You will receive multiple copies of the message.

Since solving one or the other likely involve quite different steps, it makes little sense to attempt to solve for both results in the equation simultaneously. Get back to us if you would like our assistance in solving your problem.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
VINCONT

Post by VINCONT »

Hi,

Thunderbird 2.0.16 user.

I've the same problem : multiple received of the same mails.
I try to change the check intervals but it does'nt change anything.
For example, during the night all the messages on the server can be download 4 or 5 times.

NB : i've the same issue few years ago with Netscape mail (4.7)... and I changed for thunderbird to resolve it !

I try many things to solve the problem :
1) I change de time interval check
(long enough for a complete downloading of all of the mails BEFORE a new download check from thunderbird)
2) I compact the Folders
3) I removed Thunderbird and install it again

...but all these tries were unseccessfully :-(
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

VINCONT - I don't think yours is the same problem. The original poster (hociman) receives multiple copies of specific messages with large attachments, while you seem to be receiving multiple copies of more general messages.

Assuming you are downloading from a POP3 mail server, there is a file in your profile (Mail subfolder, then the subfolder for this mail account) called popstate.dat. It contains the information about which messages have been downloaded from the server. Possibly your popstate.dat file has gotten corrupted. Exit TBird, find and delete the popstate.dat file for that mail account, restart TBird. It will download all messages residing on the server one more time, but should download only new messages after that.

Where to find your profile:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder

For more information on the popstate.dat file, see the Mozillazine Knowlege Base article: Pospstate.dat

If this doesn't solve the problem, then please start your own thread so that we may help both you and the original poster without adding needless confusion for both of you.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
arabesc

Post by arabesc »

I have the same problem as VINCONT.
Deleting pospstate.dat does not solve it.

p.s. TB v2.0.0.19 for Win32, POP3 account, issue is one ot two month old
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

arabesc wrote:I have the same problem as VINCONT.
Deleting pospstate.dat does not solve it.

If you have the same problem as VINCONT, and not the same problem as the original poster in this thread, then ...
If this doesn't solve the problem, then please start your own thread so that we may help both you and the original poster without adding needless confusion for both of you.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

arabesc...
Did you happen to read the previous posts?
Please start a new thread coz you & VINCONT have a diff prob to the OP.
Thanks.
Locking this 5 month old thread.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)