[ext] Fast Dial 2.1 for Firefox

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
jonh_tomas

Re: [ext] Fast Dial 1.88 for Firefox

Post by jonh_tomas »

So you want to synchronize groups of tabs?

yes that's it!!! But it's not all!

Imagine I Alt+click a folder (for example folder "A" (A it's the folder's name) - it opens that folder!

But then i want to open Folder B, then Alt+click.

but it will open all of its child sites after the sites of Folder A. How do i distinguish the sites from Folder A from the ones of Folder B????
telega

Post by telega »

but it will open all of its child sites after the sites of Folder A. How do i distinguish the sites from Folder A from the ones of Folder B????

Open second FD page in second tab group and Alt+click folder B in this second tab group.
jonh_tomas

Post by jonh_tomas »

well... but in this case i'm going to have one FD page, the pages from Group A, the second FD page and the pages from Group B

what i was suggesting was:

You open Group A

on an extra toolbar appears an new tab called Group A

Then you open Group B

On the Extra toolbar just on the right side of Group A tab appears a new tab called Group B.

When you click on Group A, only the tabs from Group A are showed on the TabsBar
When you click on Group B, only the tabs from Group B are showed on the TabsBar

so instead of having 1 tab for FD, the pages from group A (for example 10 pages), another tab for FD and the pages from group B (for example 12 pages) - which would give 24 tabs

if we were browsing only Group A we would only see 10 Tabs! Instead of 24

got my point???
telega

Post by telega »

I got you, seems you hadn't got me.
I mean you open 1 tab FD, the pages form group A (10 pages). Then using TabGroup extension you create a second tab group and switch to it - this new tab group has only 1 blank tab. Then you open 2nd FD tab and pages from group B.
jonh_tomas

Post by jonh_tomas »

Aaaaah using TabGroups

ahhhh - yes that will function hahaha

i was really missing that detail, sorry!!!

(tabgroups, however have a few bugs... and seems abandon) anyway it's a good idea to solve the question!

thanks ;)
fstorm

Post by fstorm »

Hi,

I have an issue with Fast Dial, I've searched but it doesn't seem it has been reported so here it is...

Fast Dial 1.90 used the about:blank page, Fast Dial 2.0+ uses the chrome://fastdial/content/fastdial.html page. The problem arises with the Tab Mix Plus extension, which allows you to open a new tab when you make a new search for example. With previous versions, a Fast Dial page would get reused for the search results because it's URL was about:blank and TMP replaced it. With 2.1, TMP doesn't reuse the Fast Dial page because the URL is not about:blank. Is there a way for Fast Dial to trick TMP into thinking a Fast Dial page is a blank page?

I've reported the problem in TMP's forum -> here <- suggesting a solution for TMP, but I'd really like to have both extensions working properly together.
telega

Post by telega »

fstorm,
Could you describe what actions to perform to reproduce blank page reuse?
I have never used TMP previously. When I do a search, search page is always opened in current tab.
fstorm

Post by fstorm »

It's disabled by default, you have to set an option in TMP: extensions.tabmix.opentabfor.search = true
(the UI option is in TMP's options dialog in the actions part, then at the bottom of the first tab)

When set, if you use the search bar the search results will be opened in a new tab unless the current tab is about:blank.
telega

Post by telega »

fstorm,
Thanks, your tip worked. I've created a fix, please try updated FD.
fstorm

Post by fstorm »

wow nice, it works great. thanks!
Hiromacu

Post by Hiromacu »

Hi Telega!

I have a problem. After I updated FD 1.9 to 2.1 it is stopped working and I have an exception error:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE) [nsINavBookmarksService.insertBookmark]" nsresult: "0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://fastdial/content/bookmark.js :: anonymous :: line 77" data: no]

Could you help me?
telega

Post by telega »

Hi Hiromacu,
Could you send me your fastdial.sqlite.bak file, located in [firefox_profile]/fastdial/ folder?
pjacobs

Fast Dial Firefox ALT-HOME not working

Post by pjacobs »

I am using Firefox 3.0.1 and Fast Dial 2.1. Since I upgraded to this latest version my ALT-HOME shortcut keys have stopped working. I have setup my default home page as about:blank.
telega

Post by telega »

pjacobs,
Alt+number keyboard shortcuts no more work in FD 2.1. Instead you can assign arbitrary keyboard shorcut to any thumbnail in its Properties dialog.
pjacobs

Post by pjacobs »

telega wrote:pjacobs,
Alt+number keyboard shortcuts no more work in FD 2.1. Instead you can assign arbitrary keyboard shorcut to any thumbnail in its Properties dialog.

When I open my default page to about:blank (Fast Dial) I can click on any of my links and then press ALT-HOME and it takes me back to the default home page without any problem.

When I open my default home page to about:blank (Fast Dial) and then use my middle mouse button to open in a new tab; then press ALT-HOME, I get a blank page with no Fast Dial present.

If I press the Home button then it works fine in both scenarios.

ALT-HOME is a normal shortcut for your default home page in Firefox... It is not a function of Fast Dial; however, Fast Dial is not showing up as it should.

That is not consistent and I hope you can see that. Thanks.