Macintosh won't sleep

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
wasDigi

Macintosh won't sleep

Post by wasDigi »

Hi,

After install Firefox 3 my Macintosh (Intel 10.5.3) won't go to sleep when the program is running! What can I do? Can someone has the same problem??

Thank's,
André
FirefoxExpert

Re: Macintosh won't sleep

Post by FirefoxExpert »

Uninstall Firefox 3 and see if you still have the same problem. Capiche?
wasDigi

Post by wasDigi »

Seen to be a "easy" way... But the problem is serious..
So before upgrade to Firefox 3 I don't have this problem. And I have done test: when Firefox 3 is runnig alone my Mac won't sleep. When Firefox is not runnig Mac goes sleep normaly, also when other program are open. Can anyone here has this problem and a real solution?
wasDigi

Post by wasDigi »

Just to complete the information about firefox version:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; pt-BR; Alexa ; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008061004 Firefox/3.0
Egidio

Post by Egidio »

André (brasileiro, né?),

When you have FF open, do you have any page open all the time?

Also, go to Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor. Open that application and select the tab "System Memory" at the bottom of that window. All your applications and processes are listed above. Click on the column "CPU" and see what percentage shows for Firefox.

Have you installed any extensions or themes recently? What add-ons do you have in FF?

Egídio
Mac OS X [10.6.4]
thebrug

Post by thebrug »

I'm experiencing the same issue since upgrading from FF 2x to 3.0. Just installed 3.01 update and no change. G4 PB, 1Ghz, 1G mem. Even w/ no page open. No change in add-ons from 2x. Problem started immediately w/ 3.0.
johns260

Post by johns260 »

I am seeing the same behavior - upon installing FF3 (and then 3.01) my PowerMac G4 will not go to sleep. I have no windows open at all in FF, and have added no extensions - my FF is "out of the box". Activity Monitor shows that FF is running 0.2%-1.0% CPU every few seconds, but is at 0% in between.
frog_pilot

Post by frog_pilot »

Here is the same issue since using firefox 3. With running Firefox (3.0 or 3.1) prevents my machines from sleeping. both running tiger (10.4.11). PowerMac G4 and ibook g4. Without Firefox running the machines will suspend normally.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Just tested my wife's iBook G4 running 10.4.11 and FF 3.0.1. With FF running and a window open it WENT TO SLEEP NORMALLY.

Also had a few other app's running.
FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
wasDigi

Post by wasDigi »

After a month still the problem here!! And other has the same issue and no one found a solution!

So far away when "go out" for a short time everyone how has this problem need to close Firefox 3 or force Mac to go to sleep!!

Still waiting for a "upgrade" to solve the problem
frog_pilot

Post by frog_pilot »

btw if I go into suspend-mode manually, it's working fine. only the sitting in my energy-preferences will be ignored by the system when firefox is running
frog_pilot

Post by frog_pilot »

Anonymous wrote:btw if I go into suspend-mode manually, it's working fine. only the sitting in my energy-preferences will be ignored by the system when firefox is running
only the sitting

typo!:
setting
Egidio

Post by Egidio »

wasDigi wrote:After a month still the problem here!!

Did you try the solutions suggested previously? If we'd seen you tried them, maybe we could have offered other options. :)

Egídio
Mac OS X [10.6.4]
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

If a web page auto refreshes every few minutes, would that prevent the computer from sleeping?
frog_pilot

Post by frog_pilot »

Tried everything with ff 3.0.1 on latest Tiger. There is no unusual CPU-activity.

My addons are: adblock+ and some filtersets, some dictionarys, down them all, a toolbar for my social bookmark account, track me not (issues a random google search every minute), noscript

I wondered while writing my addons-list, if 'track me not' could be the reason for preventing my machines from sleeping. I'm trying to deactivate it now and will report later about the result.

I think its not related to any refresh-cycle of the displayed pages. I cant find the refresh-preference-setting, but when I reopen ff with my last session, I have to reload the pages manually to see any actualizations.