Open PDF inside browser window instead of Adobe Acrobat?

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
chldox

Open PDF inside browser window instead of Adobe Acrobat?

Post by chldox »

I am switching from Internet Explorer to Mozilla and have run into a problem. In IE, links to PDF documents opened up in the browser window; how can I get this to work in Mozilla?

Specifically, I'm using Mozilla 1.3a and Adobe Acrobat FULL 5.05. I need to view an online PDF inside my browser window so that the online capabilities and routing are enabled. When I click on a link to a PDF, I get a file download prompt. It defaults to Acrobat so I hit OK. However, Mozilla then launches Acrobat with the PDF separately, which makes online routing functions unavailable. I did search this forum but was unable to find this problem thus far. Can you please advise?
JLP

Post by JLP »

Just copy nppdf32.dll from Acrobat\Reader\Browser folder to plugins folder of Mozilla.
Live long and prosper!
nicubunu

Post by nicubunu »

For me, it works without any dll copied (for some time Mozilla automatically detects the Acrobat plugin, i must keep in the plugins folder only the dll for flash). I think the server where the document is stored is not properly configured and not send the corect MIME Type.
nicu
<a href="http://openclipart.org">Drawing Together :: The Open Clip Art Library</a>
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

The Adobe installer has a tendency to put things all over your system: the plugin is probably being detected even though it's in a different folder.

- Chris
chldox

Post by chldox »

JLP wrote:Just copy nppdf32.dll from Acrobat\Reader\Browser folder to plugins folder of Mozilla.

Thank you so much for your response. I copied the file as outlined above and now Mozilla opens my PDF in the browser window. I am very pleased that I can now use Mozilla at work (rather than IE). :wink:
siggi

Post by siggi »

hi all, i have a similar problem, just stated in a new post under "General", because i cant solve my problem with
copying the nppdf32.dll file to plugins, ist already there, so i hope for someone to have an answer why moz doesnt open the *pdf - file - document.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

There's a preference in Acrobat itself which chooses whether PDF links will open in browser windows. You need to make sure it's set to the right option.

- Chris
drosoph

Post by drosoph »

You might try REMOVING the "Help App" associated to PDF ... and clicking ona another PDF web file .. to re-associate it to Acrobat ... There may be an issue with the way in which it was associated.
(Preferences > Navigator > Helper Apps)
wyfflemunky

Post by wyfflemunky »

I think I found a bug. Do me a favor. Open an Acrobat document in a navigator window. Then close it. ctrl-alt-del to bring up the task manager and tell me if acrord32.exe is still open, sucking up a nice big 24MB chunk of your memory. I think its a bug. not sure if it happens in other browsers. IE is too screwy right now to try it.
fondacio

more PDF/Acrobat Reader threads

Post by fondacio »

Seems like there are many people with questions about PDF and Acrobat Reader. I've linked to all threads concerning this subject in a thread in the Mozilla General forum, so people with issues can keep track of everything which has been said.