Clicking links often shows "GIF Image 1x1 pixels"

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tlinker

Clicking links often shows "GIF Image 1x1 pixels"

Post by tlinker »

In several websites, when I see a clickable icon, clicking leads me to a newly opened tab that shows NOTHING, but claims (in the TAB) to be a 1x1 pixel GIF image. No other navigation seems possible to access the item. This especially occurs with online catalogs in shopping contexts, occasionally the HTTP address will begin with "clickserve..."

I am using the latest Mozilla Firefox with Windows XP home edition, and Kaspersky Internet Security. I have popups blocked in the Firefox options, but even when I ALLOW a specific exception there for a website of interest, the problem appears to continue. I DID try clearing the cache as suggested in one of the FAQs.

Any ideas what's interfering with my access to other pages on a website?
Tom L.
dtobias

Post by dtobias »

It might help to give a URL to one in particular that does this.
Dan's Web Tips: http://webtips.dan.info/
Dan's Domain Site: http://domains.dan.info/
Dan's Mail Format Site: http://mailformat.dan.info/
tlinker

Post by tlinker »

Try www.austin360.com

I selected their tab "Shopping", then a subtopic from a sidebar: "Books, Music, DVDs" (approx. title). When images of items for sale in Austin TX appeared, I got the "GIF image 1x1 pixels" in the Firefox tab on the linked-to item.
Tom L.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I just tried that and it works for me, except the Salt Sampler. I got a "cannot be found" for that one.
dtobias

Post by dtobias »

The site is doing all kinds of goofy stuff with scripts, instead of following the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid) and just using plain hyperlinks to the stuff they're linking to. This may mean that for some browsers with some configuration settings they don't work correctly. It may be trying to serve popup, popunder, or interstitial ads of some sort, and Firefox generally tries to filter such things out; but sometimes if they're done in an excessively devious manner it may result in something that was supposed to be opening up in a separate window actually taking over the main browser window instead.
Dan's Web Tips: http://webtips.dan.info/
Dan's Domain Site: http://domains.dan.info/
Dan's Mail Format Site: http://mailformat.dan.info/
tlinker

Post by tlinker »

So, dtobias, thanks for taking a look. If your characterization is right, I gather that it's not my fault for stupid settings in my Firefox, but the website's fault for deviating from straightforward linking mechanics. But then anonymosity appears to have a different result. Hmm. Maybe there's something more relaxed about his setup preferences than mine.... Thanks to both. Any other opinions?
Tom L.

Post by Guest »

I am using the latest Mozilla Firefox with Windows XP home edition, and Kaspersky Internet Security.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view ... 80#3038433
tlinker

Post by tlinker »

Many thanks to whoever provided the link to the Kaspersky setting issue -- I will try to disable the anti-banner protocol there and report back.
Tom L.
KeysRalph

Post by KeysRalph »

Kaspersky only stops the potentially dangerous links like "Google links" and similar.

If you use McAfee Internet Advisor Plug in, that shows you dangerous website on google, msn etc, you can see potential dangers.

After installing Advisor, type "downloads" into google, and see just how many bad sites there are, but also how many of those red sites are actually Google Sponsered links.

Kaspersky knows the dangers.

Goo Luck :-)
2 laptops. both Win7 64bit, Firefox 4.01, Thunderbird 5, Kaspersky Internet Suite 2012,
HP DM4 14"screen, i5, 500gbhdsata 4gbram
HP dv6 15.4"screen amdquad 500mbGraffix 750gbhdsata 6gbram
Kaiya_Tanakiko

Re: Clicking links often shows "GIF Image 1x1 pixels"

Post by Kaiya_Tanakiko »

I have similar Gif Image 1x1 pixels thing going on for this one site, or any site related. http://www.bravenet.com/ Two days ago I had no problem. I'm sorry, but I don't remember what I did either. I just went to the site and it's a gif image.

For the longest time, about a month ago, I had the same problem with the same site. One day, it just started working again, so I didn't really think about it, I was just glad. But now it started all over again, and it is making me crazy 'cause I can't figure out why it's doing this.

Latest version of Mozilla Firefox.
Add-on's:
~AdBlock Plus 0.7.5.5
~Clipmarks 3.5.0
~ColorfulTabs 3.3
~Cooliris Previews 2.6.4
~Flagfox 3.2.8
~Flashblock 1.5.6
~GooglePreview 3.11
~NoScript 1.7.8
~WOT 20080714
Themes:
~Default 3.0.1
~Red Cats (blue flavor) 4.2.2.5
~Red Cats (green flavor) 4.2.2.5

I really don't think any of this matters, because I had it when the site was working. It works for my friends, but now it's doing this to me again. It's really aggravating, I'm not even sure if my explanation is helpful... I just want to fix this thing.
I've tried HiJackThis, but I can't post my log anywhere. The one place that I am a member, for somereason won't open the "NewTopic" option when I click it. I've tried reading other problems similar to this, and tried a few of the steps, but I think my case is different. Is there anyway anyone can help me?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Try to clear the cache and the cookies:
Clear the cache: Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Offline Storage (Cache): "Clear Cache Now"
Clear the cookies: Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies: "Show Cookies" (only from sites that give you problems)

Try to disable both Adblock Plus and NoScript to see if that works.

You can start Firefox in Safe mode to check if your problem is caused by an extension or theme (try the default theme).
If starting in Safe-mode works then disable your extensions (Tools > Add-ons > Extensions or use the option in the Safe-mode window) and re-enable them one by one until you find which one is causing it.
Close and restart Firefox after each change.
KeysRalph

Post by KeysRalph »

Mainly this will happen on items like sponsored adds.

When you normally click on them, dispite the supposed website is listed under the advert, clicking it bring up a potentially dangerous code, that sends a tally for pay-per-click, then supposedly forwards you on to that website. Kaspersky 7 blocked this, unless you set it otherwise, but changing the setting for this can put you in peril. Kaspersky 2009 (8) doen't appear to have this feature "On", in the default install, but may if you upgrade with the setting on. These settings effect all Browsers, not just Firefox, but Internet Explorer, Opera, etc.

Google adverts are a major problem. Even this week, here on the forums, on Google Adds at the top of this Forum, there were advert for a "Download Firefox 2008 Today" People downloading it were asked money and their card details, and one fellow did, and this is the link to the thread. You don't expect an advertisement for Firefox ripoff on the Firefox forum pages.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=630317

I have installed customize google plug-in to remove the google adverts on all websites, and also Addblock plus. this could be the death of Google adds if no site can trust Google to put their adverts on their sites.

Ralph
:-)
Kaiya_Tanakiko

Post by Kaiya_Tanakiko »

Well, I don't have Kaspersky... not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Anyway, I've cleared my cache, and my cookies, disabled extensions, used default theme, AND ran Firefox in safe mode, and the site still won't come up. Like I said, I've had those things for a couple of weeks now, and even before I had them, and the site was working. Now it's not... Personally, I ignore ads... I'm not sure if maybe another user on my computer clicked an ad, or whatever, because they don't have the ad-ons. Only, I don't see how that would effect me... It has to be something browser, yet non-browser related to be restricting me from getting on this site. I don't have parental controls, so that can't be it...dunno why it would be, but any thought helps I guess... I would like to figure this thing out, because I'm an active member on bravenet, and if I can't to the page then I can't sign in or do anything. This is really annoying. First it's working, now it's not... x_x'
KeysRalph

Post by KeysRalph »

Try using Internet Explorer to access that site.

If you are unable to, then it is NOT Firefox related, and more likely to do with your settings in another appication like Internet Suites, Firewall, anti-virus, Popup Blockers, etc.

If you ARE able to open the site in Internet Explorer, then it Likely it IS a Firefox Setting or Addon.

Also remember that a lot of Security applications, when you supposedly turn them off, actually continue to work to a lesser degree, and some, like Zonealarm, do not uninstall, if you do not use the proper method to uninstall.

Let us know if the site can be opened on Internet Explorer.

:-)
Kaiya_Tanakiko

Post by Kaiya_Tanakiko »

I don't know if it works or not... Mozilla is supported by my internet service and IE is not. I don't have roadrunner and that's what the IE was supported by... it's weird...I thought IE was a windows program... Must have been downloaded when we had roadrunner/timewarner last time... But the last time this happened, it said the same thing for IE, GIF Image 1x1 pixels. it's like a curse gr...