Request: Download manager intergration; Mockup provided

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

It's an extension like any other. It won't break anything and if it doesn't work, just disable it.
trakman

Post by trakman »

I can't wait to get home and try out integrating flashget with "http://downloadwith.mozdev.org" - I've been looking for this for a long time. Even better would be if the FlashGet guys could make a FireFox/Mozilla compatible version.

FWIW, I posted this in another forum (before I found this one):

Hi, I usually use IE6 and the FlashGet download manager. Would it be possible to add a context menu option into FF?
e.g. you can right-click on a hyperlink and select "download all files" this would give a list of all links on the screen with filetype and each row has a checkbox next to it and you select which files/filetypes you can download. Of course the table headings can be sorted by filename/extension etc. and near the bottom of the dialog box you can check a button with deselects/selects all of the links and also an invert selection button.
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

Works great!

If you continue to work on this I believe you should request formal maintainership permission from the original developer of DownloadWith and ask to have this version uploaded to the extension sites.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
avih

Post by avih »

i'm still waiting for a firefox d/l manager with resume capabilities. a-la getright (which i use for large files, like paradox).
Tried SmoothWheel already?
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

Works brilliantly! Well done Paradox, I'm glad someone filled the biggest hole in alternative browsers ever!

EDIT: I don't suppose it would be possible to have the dialog default on "Download With:" instead of "Save to Disk" ? Chances are if people have an alternate manager installed, (and subsequently this extension) then they would most likely want this choice. And considering that it's the only option you can't save at this time, it makes sense.
Last edited by TychoQuad on March 9th, 2004, 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
soccer_dude182

Post by soccer_dude182 »

Gonna try it out once I get home.
SilentJ

Post by SilentJ »

lovin' it

works great here
iarnell

Post by iarnell »

Pretty smart! Is it too soon to add a feature request? Is there some way to make it work with "Do this automatically for files like this from now on"?
Javelin

Post by Javelin »

This is PERFECT. It is exactly what I've been looking for. And it works smooth as glass.

Great Job Paradox!
Parkotron

Post by Parkotron »

I would just like to congratualate both Paradox and TychoQuad. This is possibly the best example I've ever seen of someone making a clear, logical request and someone else implementing that exact request almost immediately.

I don't even use a download manager, but installed the extension just to check it out. It's perfect, fits in seemlessly, and from what I hear works great. An excellent extension.
Dave88

Post by Dave88 »

OMG! this is fantastic just what I needed that you so much Paradox.

It just fits in so well, a great extension my thanks again.
gbitten

Post by gbitten »

I am the original DownloadWith´s developer.
I only read this forum yesterday. So I tested the Paradox´s modifications, my impression: it is GREAT. I will appreciate very much if we join our work.

Kudos Paradox!
jedbro

Post by jedbro »

gbitten wrote:I am the original DownloadWith´s developer.
I only read this forum yesterday. So I tested the Paradox´s modifications, my impression: it is GREAT. I will appreciate very much if we join our work.

Kudos Paradox!

Excelent!
I had tried out your extension before, while it is VERY nice, I found I didn't use it that often.
I just tried Paradox's hack, and it is a VERY welcome addition.
This is a no-brainer, and I am VERY happy you will officiall add this to your extension!
:)
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone, :-) I'm glad you all like this so much. Just to give you all an update, I'm working on seemless integration/download monitoring now, and it's coming along pretty well. I've got it to the point that it can catch files based on filetypes and automatically send them to the associated download manager as per user prefs, but only for direct link clicks, it doesn't do redirects yet (working on that). Not ready to release a new version yet because it has no UI for adding filetype associations yet, and in it's current state it will conflict something nasty with the DownloadSort extension (I copied DownloadSort's methods for intercepting downloads, so until I find some kind of workaround to make the two get along, they don't work together)...but just wanted to post to let everyone know it is coming along. As for UI I was thinking of just adding a "filetypes" box to the existing downloadwith options panel, and instead of using the "do this every time..." checkbox I'll probably add either add a button to the download dialog or just have all file extension filters be controlled from the options panel instead. Like DownloadSort, everything will be by file extension, not mime-type, and it will be possible to have different file extensions use different download managers if you use more than one.

gbitten: I'd be happy to work on this with you. :-) I'll send you an e-mail about that.
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

I don't use Download Sort - I have it enabled, but it doesn't seem to work correctly.

Let us know when you have something available.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618