Turbo Launch (Quick Start)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Johnny Ace 3000

Turbo Launch (Quick Start)

Post by Johnny Ace 3000 »

What's happened to the quick launch (where part of the program is kept in memory so it will launch faster)??? Will it be in Firebird? Anybody know?
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

the took it out firebird, and it wont come back...
Peter(6)

Re: Turbo Launch (Quick Start)

Post by Peter(6) »

Johnny Ace 3000 wrote:What's happened to the quick launch (where part of the program is kept in memory so it will launch faster)??? Will it be in Firebird? Anybody know?

Quickstart is fake, it only means that it takes your puter another .... extra time during startup.
And it permanently consumes memory.
The M$ cheat to fake programs start quickly.
asquithea

Post by asquithea »

The basic idea is that Firebird will get fast enough that it won't be necessary. Features like QuickLaunch just add to the download size at the end of the day. If you get a program like PowerMenu, you could probably minimise an instance of Firebird to tray, which could speed things up, since it would always be in memory. But generally I've found that a warm boot is quite fast enough (though cold booting is a bit sluggish).

I think the main barrier to a fast startup at the moment is probably XUL, given the speed of K-Meleon, but we're at least matching Opera 7.2x now, if not quicker.
metamorphosis

Post by metamorphosis »

I disagree. Most people don't care about 150kb of missing memory, and the performance difference is very noticable. I don't think its a cheat - it makes a heckload of sense, if you use that program regularly. At least make it an option.
-m@
peter.reisio

Post by peter.reisio »

most people have 1500 program agents running down there, 1500 quicklaunch icons and 1500 desktop shortcuts

most people are idiots
bengoodger

Post by bengoodger »

sboulema wrote:the took it out firebird, and it wont come back...

You're right. I've just now ripped out most of what was left of the turbo code that we were building - over 1,000 lines of code not executing, just taking up space... making the app slower!
mikeymike

Post by mikeymike »

The basic idea is that Firebird will get fast enough that it won't be necessary.

Maybe on the fastest of computers. Not everyone has the fastest computers.
Lost User 15175

Post by Lost User 15175 »

I like to keep my task bar at a min. The only problem I have with Fx is the cold boot as asquithea stated. Other than that, Moz Fx actually starts up faster than IE on my system (could also be cause I don't have explorer.exe opened all the time too).
johnleemk

Post by johnleemk »

I'm on a P3, and Firefox is noticeably faster to start than the Suite on both Windows and Linux. They're about the same with quick launch. Regardless, I believe we'll be better off without it. If a bloated piece of shit like Opera is fast and smooth, why can't Firefox be faster?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8b) Gecko/20050205 Firefox/1.0+
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

bengoodger wrote:
sboulema wrote:the took it out firebird, and it wont come back...

You're right. I've just now ripped out most of what was left of the turbo code that we were building - over 1,000 lines of code not executing, just taking up space... making the app slower!

Will this have any real impact, or is it just a cleanup?
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
mikeymike

Post by mikeymike »

FYI: On my parents' P3-550, recent builds take ~10 seconds to load.

10 seconds of nothing to suggest (as far as the average user notices) an app is loading, but that's a whole other argument :-)
sard

Post by sard »

Couldn’t agree more, but there will be no splash screen or quickload option no matter how useful they might be for people with older computers :(
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

Yeah, firefox devs are a part of the conspiracy to make everyone upgrade their computers every two years.

Anything else?

:)
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
sard

Post by sard »

I never said there was any conspiracy, just that they have no intention of implementing those 2 features, am I wrong, will they do a U turn and give us a splash screen and quickload?