Keyboard shortcut to Copy Link Location without mouse?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
JohnE2Bad

Keyboard shortcut to Copy Link Location without mouse?

Post by JohnE2Bad »

Is there any keyboard shortcut to copy the URL contained in a link other than right-click on it and "Copy Link Location"? Or, is there any "mouseless" way to do it at all? Thanks.
Euchre

Re: Keyboard shortcut to Copy Link Location without mouse?

Post by Euchre »

If you have tabbed to a link already, your Windows standard keyboard should have a context menu key at the lower right, between the Windows and Ctrl keys. You can then navigate this menu with the cursor ("arrow", directional) keys to select the item you need. Without the context menu key, I can't think of another way to do this off hand.
Gecko
One Rendering Engine to rule them all.
JohnE2Bad

Post by JohnE2Bad »

Shortly after I posted that question I realized that the necessity to indicate to the program which link on the screen it is that I want to copy the URL for makes a mouse click preferable to all that tabbing. Until we develop some way to control cursors purely with thought the mouse may be the best way to do certain things. Thank you for wording your response so politely.
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

Euchre wrote:Without the context menu key, I can't think of another way to do this off hand.

Shift+F10 works for me.
Euchre

Post by Euchre »

Alan Baxter wrote:Shift+F10 works for me.

Indeed! Thanks for adding that tip! :D

ETA: I knew I had seen a way to navigate using the cursor keys instead of the Tab key, and indeed I found it. If you open about:config and change the value of accessibility.browsewithcaret to true, you will have the caret (text cursor) on the page and can use the cursor keys to navigate much more quickly around the page. Hopefully that will meet 2badmozilla's needs.
There are many more useful accessibility functions documented here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Accessibility ... of_Firefox
Gecko
One Rendering Engine to rule them all.
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

Euchre wrote:If you open about:config and change the value of accessibility.browsewithcaret to true, you will have the caret (text cursor) on the page and can use the cursor keys to navigate much more quickly around the page.

Or press F7. :)
Thanks for checking that out Euchre. I wondered if Caret Browsing would help, but I didn't follow up on it.
JohnE2Bad

Post by JohnE2Bad »

Thanks to both of you for this information. F7 does give me the caret to use. I am not sure why the default would be for it not to be present as it has not yet occurred to me what problem it causes by merely being there. When I position the caret at a link, the link is then clearly outlined. Then Shift+F10 or the context menu button does bring up the context menu. But then I still have to select Copy Link Location. I admit this is not a huge problem. It would be a convenience to me, however, to position the caret at the link and be able to copy the URL in a single step rather than going through the context menu. I presume there is a way to program my own shortcut to accomplish, no? Is there any way other than the Copy Link Location command on the context menu to get the URL from a link onto the clipboard?
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

2badmozilla wrote:It would be a convenience to me, however, to position the caret at the link and be able to copy the URL in a single step rather than going through the context menu. I presume there is a way to program my own shortcut to accomplish, no?

This might be possible with keyconfig. Ask in the keyconfig topic what code needs to be used to implement that.