[Ext] ThumbsDown 0.22.5 - Bulk image downloader - 2016-03-28

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
ake79

Re: [Ext] ThumbsDown 0.9 - Bulk image downloader

Post by ake79 »

@neojam
Thanks for the mockup. I was just about to comment on it when I remembered that the functionality that you are after already exists in ThumbsDown. Or actually in DownThemAll! (dta).

Open up about:config and preference "extensions.thumbsdown.dm.dta.renameMask". It is dta renaming mask that ThumbsDown passes on to dta for every download. There is some documentation about the values you can use in it in here: http://www.downthemall.net/howto/help/e ... ming-mask/. But the complete list of macros seems to be available only in dta itself: Tools > DownThemAll! Tools > DownThemAll!... > [click on that icon near "Renaming mask:"].

I don't use that feature myself so I forgot all about it. I guess I have to promote it from hidden preference to options dialog.

But still that main download folder creation could be easier. Maybe instead of just complaining that download directory doesn't exist, it could actually offer to create it.

@xbadgerx
Thanks. And yes, your reasoning is correct in all your points. And your regexp skills seem ok too, just some minor mistakes. In general, you should try stick to regexp scripts instead custom scripts if possible.

Until there's better script creation support in the extension itself, you should read/decipher the user guide carefully and use the regexp helper.

Some pointers. In matcher, capture is not needed so instead of "(\w+)" just use "\w+". But your actual problem is in pattern and template. Note that "\w" is shorthand for "[A-Za-z0-9_]" so it does not match that dot in "a01.jpg". Template is not regexp, just a regular string so no need to add "\" before that dot in "xxx.com".

So, I'm not giving the "answer" straight away but directing you to use that regexp helper. ;)

Try to fix it yourself first. Ask if you have problems.
My extensions: Save File to | ThumbsDown
neojam

Post by neojam »

Thanks Atte,
didnt know that DTA had such thing ^_^ (Ive installed it after your TD extension, only few weeks ago and didn't bothered looking into all its features yet).

I guess I have to promote it from hidden preference to options dialog.

Agree, bringing the renaming mask into the options dialog of TD, would be a great idea. Maybe as an input field, with an option to save your custom filters in a dropdown menu?: :-k
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/3033/idea2ds8.png

After reading the dta! manual, my "only" beef with it is that you cant specify what parts of an URL you want to use for creation of dirs...It only has *subdirs* mask which uses the whole URL structure to create subdirs :/...Well its still better than nothing :D

Maybe instead of just complaining that download directory doesn't exist, it could actually offer to create it.

This is exactly what it should do.
I've downloaded plenty of galleries with TD and each time manually creating subdirs for TD was quite a time stealing procedure.
(well in the end i wrote a small AHK (autohotkey.com) script, which was doing it for me)
I also think that asking is for permission to create directories is not necessary, or you could just add a "dont ask again" checkbox for that matter.

Also could you please make the application window of DT wider or resizable? Because its hard to see/edit full DL path like this.
http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/8348/pic3ez0.png

Thanks again!
xbadgerx

Post by xbadgerx »

Thanks! My use of the character class \w in the pattern and the incorrect '\' in the template were the problems, and the regexp helper page made much more sense once I understood the definitions of link URL, source URL and image URL. Being able to easily specify a target directory (e.g. as in DTA, i'll read up on the renaming mask thing) would be great, but I'm not complaining :)
ake79

Re: [Ext] ThumbsDown 0.10 - Bulk image downloader

Post by ake79 »

Release 0.10 - ChangeLog

Major new feature is Script Wizard. It is an attempt to make script writing a bit easier. At the moment it only supports direct scripts (target: image). Support for regexp scripts (target: page) is planned for next release.

I also added renaming mask to options dialog. For the moment it's a simple textbox. Nicer widget will come later.
ake79

Post by ake79 »

neojam wrote:After reading the dta! manual, my "only" beef with it is that you cant specify what parts of an URL you want to use for creation of dirs...It only has *subdirs* mask which uses the whole URL structure to create subdirs :/...

True. But because of varying url path depth (structure) each host/script would need its own renaming mask. That's not happening anytime soon, if ever.

neojam wrote:Also could you please make the application window of DT wider or resizable?

Non-resizable is default behavior in Windows. I made the options dialog a bit wider in 0.10. If that's not enough, you can always use userChrome.css to change dialog's height and width.
neojam

Post by neojam »

Thanks for the update mate, it made a few things a lot easier. ^^

Ive checked the manual for userChrome.css as well and
#thumbsdown_prefwindow {width: 98ex !important; height: 40em !important;} works great for me.
(took me a while though, to figure out to unpack thumbsdown.jar for that dialog id lol)
gts2

Post by gts2 »

Hello,

First of all, great extension! I really love the freedom to program the extension...

While building a script, I noticed that LOAD() really loads the page, i.e it opens the page and builds the document structure, and not simply read the HTML from the server. This behavior can cause some problems when working against hosting services which change the image URL on each page load (it actually prevents you from getting a working link to the image).

The current LOAD() behavior is fine, however, it would be nice if there will be a way of opening a page without rendering it, but simply getting the HTML source.

One more thing, I got an idea which, in my opinion, could help users work with ThumbsDown extension. Like GreaseMonkey, ThumbsDown should have a site which will include built scripts (for example, a script for flicker, for gallery2 galleries etc.)

Regards
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Thanks gts2

Yes, LOAD() does load and build a "proper" document but only the pure html part. It doesn't load images, css, javascript, etc. for the page. From server's perspective, page load is page load. It cannot tell what the client does with the loaded html.

The document is built because it's easier handle. I don't see how one would use the raw html (which is one big string).

If you know some hosting service where LOAD() doesn't work, let me know (pm is fine) and I'll take a look at it.

userscripts.org for ThumbsDown. You volunteering? ;)
ake79

Re: [Ext] ThumbsDown 0.11 - Bulk image downloader

Post by ake79 »

Release 0.11 - ChangeLog

Script Wizard supports RegExp scripts now. While it still requires more work, it is somewhat usable now.
neojam

Post by neojam »

Thanks for the update mate!
Though i still really miss the automated folder creation for the "save images to" directory if it doesnt exist :cry:
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Yes, the directory "save images to" needs to exist (no changes there for the moment). But doesn't putting the directory to "renaming mask" achieve the same thing? Maybe, it is not as nice but it works. Something like "foo/*name*.*ext*".

Or I missing something...?
neojam

Post by neojam »

Damn, i completely forgot the fact that you can also create paths with renaming mask. #-o
Thanks for the reminder.
rayser

Re: [Ext] ThumbsDown 0.11 - Bulk/mass image downloader

Post by rayser »

is a post request allready woking by any chance?
didnt try the xmlrequest yet :?:
ake79

Re: [Ext] ThumbsDown 0.11 - Bulk/mass image downloader

Post by ake79 »

Nothing has changed in custom scripts since your original post, sorry.

Looking back, I think I was left in a waiting-for-an-example -mode. If you can give me a concrete example of what you want, I take look at it. Just a page with thumbnails (and their corresponding full-size images, in case they are non-obvious to locate). I know this kind of simple/stupid request but I just want be sure that we talking about the same thing. I haven't really used Flickr and don't know anything about it. I assume you want POST so you can use Flickr API. GET isn't enough?

Custom scripts are quite limited at the moment. Mainly for time and security reasons. There's no POST, but normal GET is possible using LOAD() but that's really only for proper web pages. The referer is always the previously loaded page.
giksos

Proposal for new script type

Post by giksos »

Hi,

why not make a download script type that would load the target page and fetch the largest image? This would cover most cases IMHO.

Cheers,
Misha