Message size exceeds temporary server limit

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Chris Kirschner

Message size exceeds temporary server limit

Post by Chris Kirschner »

exact message is "The size of the message you are trying to send exceeds a temporary size limit of the server. The mesage was not sent, try to reduce the message size and try again. The server responded: 4.1.1.... temporary failure.

OK is the only button shown (of course)

Provider is Comcast.net

Am using TB 2.0.0.16 on a HP laptop with 4 GB memory running on Vista - 64.

SMTP port is set to 587

security turned off

Problem is intermittent over last few weeks. More often, it does this with attachments (of moderate size) but also sometimes without an attachment and a small message. A few hours or a day later, it works again.

Their "support" says it ain't them. Web mail does indeed work. But I can't live that way. Anyone know anything about how to solve this. I saw an article mentioning it, suggesting it is bad config on the server, but of course they deny it.

TIA big time.
TIA - any help appreciated.
SK.

Re: Message size exceeds temporary server limit

Post by SK. »

You need to contact Comcast again. The message is coming from them and has to do with the SMTP server which is not part of the Webmail transaction.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13

Post by Guest »

I also have had this problem intermittently with Seamonkey when using Comcast SMTP server.
But two days ago the problem became permanent.
I've been online and on the phone with Comcast and they won't tell me anything, except they don't support Seamonkey.
They do support Outlook express, so I actually tried it to send a message, and it worked!
So we comcast users have to find a way to fix Seamonkey so that it is more "compatible" with OE or we're screwed.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Guest wrote:So we comcast users have to find a way to fix Seamonkey so that it is more "compatible" with OE or we're screwed.

Sorry, but that conclusion is flat wrong. It's the job of the provider to be in compliance with standards and to make sure that their services work with all e-mail clients. Thus, keep complaining, and if it doesn't help, retire your Comcast e-mail and get a free e-mail service which works.

Having said that, I think there is a non-published setting for Comcast to use port 465 with SSL rather than 587 with TLS, but - not being a customer of their's myself - it may be a bit of try and error to see if that works better.
Chris Kirschner

Folks,

I just found out what seems to be the problem. At least it goes away when I do the "fix".

Turned out that one of the addresses on my to list was valid, but no longer in use by the intended recipient. It had therefore filled up the space available to that user on that server - probably with incoming spam. Hence the message was from the receiving server, not the sending one.
When I changed the address of that recipient, the problem disappeared instantly and permanently.

A better worded error message would have led us aright. i.e. "receiving address capacity is exceeded"
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Interesting fix. So, was that error returned to you in a dialog window while sending or as a bounced e-mail after sending? If the former is the case, this would mean that Comcast keeps your connection to them on hold while delivering the message to the receiving server, which responds with the "capacity exceeded" message, which is echoed by the server of your provider. This would be an unusual behavior, unless both addresses are with the same provider (thus, the same server would be used for sending and receiving in a single process).
Chris Kirschner

It came while sending. (Before actually) It didn't send to any of the other recipients either. The one bad address aborted the whole process. I agree this is very strange behavior. When I have a bit more time I will contact them about it. The other address was with a different server.
samdiamond

Post by samdiamond »

I too have Comcast and am currently using two different e-mail accounts, foxfire (hotmail) and thunderbird. The foxfire account seems to work nicely but the thunderbird account will neither allow me to send or receive mail after months of working quite well. I get one of several messages, sizeThunderbird. Try getting instant help.....whew!

Post by Guest »

I just ran into this problem today for the first time. Sure enough, I sent it to one of my own addresses -- it went through. Then I searched and found a more recent address for my original recipient. It went through. Yes, it seems like Comcast is hitting the recipient's server and not allowing it to be sent rather than having it sent/returned. I've never seen this before!
Jayant Gokhale

Post by Jayant Gokhale »

I am having an identical problem - & I am using thunderbird in India - where my service provider is Indiatimes. So it cannot be related to service provider. The trial message is 1 KB and still does not go. checked all settings - & outgoing messages were giong till last week. Still able to get incoming messages. Bafffled!!!
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Jayant Gokhale,
Start a new topic please. You are using a different provider so therefore have a different problem. And Yes, it very well can be related to your provider.
Chris Kirschner

My issue was resolved by identifying the address that kicked back the message, and getting a new one for the person. the message comes when the receiving account has been left open, but unattended by the user for so long that the server limit is reached.

This is probably not related to your service provider.
Tänzerin

Post by Tänzerin »

Since two days, I (almost) cannot answer my incomming mails, nor send a new mail, but receive them. ?
Thunderbird tells me: "SMTP-Server Install is not correct or not available, check the adresses and try again" and gives me: "Time out (overrunning) with the server" ?
At the moment I can send, but don't know for how long! The problem is not permanent, but intends to be.
All installations on my account are remaining the same, I haven'nt changes anything. Checked it and put in new.
Who and where could I get help? (Please not too complicated english, I'm not used to explain - and understand - technical problems in english !!)
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Tänzerin,
You have a different problem. Please start a new topic. These issues can get quite involved and helping more than one person in a topic just confuses everyone. Thanks.

Post by Guest »

I am having a variation on the problem under discussion here, meaning that I get the "exceeds temporary size limit" message. For me it is happening only when I try to send to multiple addresses. Sending to one or two addresses, even with a large attached file, is not a problem, but sending even a one-paragraph message to 10 or more addresses results in the error message appearing about two seconds after sending. I am using Thunderbird 2.0.0.21 with Comcast as my ISP. I have used Thunderbird and Comcast successfully for years, and this is a new problem. I have been through a chat session with Comcast tech support and was unable to resolve anything with them.