2004-03-12 Weekly Build Now Available (Win32)

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
mscott

2004-03-12 Weekly Build Now Available (Win32)

Post by mscott »

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... 3-12-trunk

What's New
--------------
I'm very excited about all of the cool stuff in this build...
<ol>
<li>Updated Junk Mail Algorithm Improvements. Fixes several math errors in the new algorithm that were in previous test builds. . It is now producing the same message scores as spam bayes when both are fed the same input tokens so we believe the algorithm is now calculating scores correctly. Further tuning/gains will come from improving the tokenizer. **Please keep in mind, if you start using this build and training with it, then you go back to a nightly or an old build that does not have this patch in it, you will get mixed results with the performance of the filter** (This code is present in Win32 hand made bits from me only)

<li>To get the best benefit from the new junk filter, I highly recommend you retrain, clearing out your training file. To that end, I have added UI in the junk controls / adaptive filter dialog to make it easy to reset your training data. You can use this instead of deleting training.dat by hand. Verbage in this dialog for this option will hopefully be improved.

<li>Fixed some serious accounting issues when a user deletes training.dat and retrains against messages that have already been classified which would lead to extremely poor performance for the junk controls.

<li>Many improvements and bug fixes for Thunderbird's support of the IDLE command for IMAP. (Thanks David!)

<li>We now have a new set of emoticons (smileys) thanks to the pinstripe authors for donating these to us.
<li>If we fail to copy your sent message to your sent folder, we now bring up a dialog asking you if you would like us to try again. This happens a lot if the connection to the sent folder has timed out.

<li>F8 can now be used to toggle the message pane open and closed

<li>Regression fix: we no longer have the grey line underneath the menu bar

<li>Regression fix: the options and send progress dialogs are now coming up with the proper width and not getting truncated like they were in the 3/5 build

<li>Regression fix: changing the priority on an outgoing message no longer effects the priority of the next message you try to send.

<li>Honor the general.useragent.override pref if someone sets it.

<li>Better support for user custom sounds for new mail notifications in the Options / General Settings dialog.

<li>Automated OSX nightlies are now getting pushed to the latest-trunk dir

<li>Automated Linux nightlies should be coming online soon.
</ol>
Known Issues:
-----------------
None Yet
Last edited by mscott on March 26th, 2004, 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thunderbirds are Go!
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird 0.5+ (20040312).

You wrote:

"2. To get the best benefit from the new junk filter, I highly recommend you retrain, clearing out your training file. To that end, I have added UI in the junk controls / adaptive filter dialog to make it easy to reset your training data. You can use this instead of deleting training.dat by hand. Verbage in this dialog for this option will hopefully be improved."

I don't see anything on the adaptive filter dialog about clearing existing data. Perhaps I'm not familiar with the dialect of English that you write?
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

F8 does nothing with Mozilla Thunderbird 0.5+ (20040312), Windows XP, at least not that I can see.
mallfellow

Post by mallfellow »

I've got a 'Reset Training Data' button under the 'Adaptive Filter' tab of the Junk Mail Controls dialog box which seemed to work just fine for me.

F8 also does toggle the Message Pane on & off with ease.

For what it's worth, I'm running the 03-12 build on Win2KPro.
gerbig

Post by gerbig »

This build looks great so far! Best build yet! Thunderbird is getting closer and closer....

Tools-Junk Mail Controls-Adaptive Filter has a button labeled Reset Training Data below the Enable adaptive junk mail detection check box for me.

F8 works for me on WinXP.
Shaddow

Post by Shaddow »

There is still some sort of problem once you mark something as "not junk" it stops thinking most things are junk. If I train on about 5 or 6 junk messages and then run the controls against my junk folder it catches everything almost prefectly. As soon as I have to mark something not run and run the junk controls against a known junk folder, it only thinks a couple of things are junk.
mscott

Post by mscott »

Shaddow wrote:There is still some sort of problem once you mark something as "not junk" it stops thinking most things are junk. If I train on about 5 or 6 junk messages and then run the controls against my junk folder it catches everything almost prefectly. As soon as I have to mark something not run and run the junk controls against a known junk folder, it only thinks a couple of things are junk.
In order to encourage changing if there are 0 good tokens in the training set, all messages analyzed are marked as junk. If there are 0 junk tokens in the training set, all messages analyzed are marked as not junk.

Sounds like you are just seeing that behavior. When you finally add a good token, the filter actually starts looking at messages instead of blindly marking it as junk. Hence the fewer results.

5 or 6 messages is not enough to train the filters to behave well. In the test I'm running, I'll use anywhere between 400 to 800 SPAM messages, same # for HAM messages. You should see good improvements training on just a hundred or so good and bad messages. But 5 or 6 is way too few.
Thunderbirds are Go!
Jaska

Post by Jaska »

How can I determine in the future which build uses the new features if the normal nightly builds don't?
arunsub

Re: 2004-03-12 Weekly Build Now Available (Win32)

Post by arunsub »

mscott wrote:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/2004-03-12-trunk

What's New
--------------
<li>We now have a new set of emoticons (smileys) thanks to the pinstripe authors for donating these to us.

Are they additional smileys or already existing ones fine tuned? I don't see any new smileys.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Seems OK so far. Most spam shows up in the wee hours of the morning, so we'll see.

Otherwise, this build seems to work for starters, and seems quicker for seconds.

Replacing swalker20040212 build.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

gerbig wrote:Tools-Junk Mail Controls-Adaptive Filter has a button labeled Reset Training Data below the Enable adaptive junk mail detection check box for me.

F8 works for me on WinXP.

Perhaps I could get a refund: There is no such button on my installation. I just reinstalled Tbird, to be sure that was not the problem, which did not make the missing button appear.

I then created a new profile, and that did not help, either.

Odd, this (along with F8 not doing anything. It is though there is more than one release for win32 floating around in the ether. Ether that, or ....)
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Scott: There is at least one spurious version of this release available. Look at this information from my C:\Download folder:

thunderbird-win32.zip 7,582 KB WinZip File 12/3/2004 14:48
thunderbird-win32-1.zip 7,655 KB WinZip File 12/3/2004 15:39

The first file I downloaded from ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/latest-trunk, and as you can see, I got it less than an hour before downloading the second version (using the link at the start of this thread.)

I have now installed the larger version, and F8 works, and I also have a button to reset the training data; neither of these was in the smaller version.

It looks to me as though http://207.200.85.49/pub/mozilla.org/th ... est-trunk/ (the California mirror also has the improper release; I did not bother to check the other mirror sites.)
Moonwolf

Post by Moonwolf »

Don't download from the latest-trunk folder if you want the build from Scott's announcement! This is a special build, the latest-trunk does not contain Scott's modifications.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1
Thunderbird 1.0 (20041206)
EMbuttons: Buttons & options for the Extension Manager. Easy Get Mail Button is here too.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Moonwolf wrote:Don't download from the latest-trunk folder if you want the build from Scott's announcement! This is a special build, the latest-trunk does not contain Scott's modifications.
So I've found. (I sort of wish Scott had made that clear; no big deal, but as I'm on a dial-up, it does take some time to download, install, figure out that features that are supposed to be there are not, redownload, and so on and on and on....)

On the other hand, this does give me something to complain about, which always makes my day better--as if there were not always at least something to complain about.

Ah, well, all's well that ends.
DizzyWeb

Post by DizzyWeb »

Known Issues:
-----------------
Known Yet

I'd make it 'None yet' ;)
The author can never, in no way, be held responsible for any harm caused, mental or physical, by reading this post.