[ext] Fast Dial 2.1 for Firefox

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
telega

Re: [ext] Fast Dial 1.88 for Firefox

Post by telega »

pjacobs,
OK, thanks for the explanation. I've updated version 2.1 with the fix, Alt+Home should work fine.
Hiromacu

Post by Hiromacu »

telega wrote:Hi Hiromacu,
Could you send me your fastdial.sqlite.bak file, located in [firefox_profile]/fastdial/ folder?

Hello Telega!

When I checked this [firefox_profile]/fastdial folder for fastdial.sqlite.bak file I found only a fastdial.sqlite file, some *.legacy files and lot of *.png files remained from the previous FD (1.9). So I realized, FD 1.9 and 2.1 mixed. After I deleted everything FD 2.1 works well. But I have some questions (problems):

1. I use custom images for folders, but by some reasons FD 2.1 doesn't resize but cut (only on folders):
- original image: Image - cut image: Image

2. I set "Open in:" option empty on folder to open it in same tab, but it doesn't work. Folder opens in new tab even if I didn't set "Open in: new folder".

3. The "Add to Fast Dial" context command disappeared. Maybe because the different working of FD (using bookmarks).

4. I tried to set zoom by left click to right click by extensions.fastdial.zoomButton value: 2 but doesn't work. Could you put an option into preferences. If somebody want to use right click zoom he or she can set it easily, but if somebody use Linux just leave it default.

Thanx!

I still love this extension!!! :D
telega

Post by telega »

Hiromacu,

Looks like some error occurred while FD 2.1 tried to migrate old thumbnails into bookmarks.
1. Yep, this is a bug. Thanks, fixed.
2. Probably you have set "Open in: new tab" on the parent folder. When item has empty "Open in" value, then value of its parent is used.
3. Yes, "Add to Fast Dial" menu item was removed. In 2.1 you can add opened tabs using 2 ways:
a) Open site in a tab, then double click "star" icon in browser address bar, choose "Fast Dial" folder and click OK.
b) Open site in a tab, then switch to FD page, click on an empty cell to open Properties dialog. URL field has a drop-down with a list of currently opened tabs, choose one and click OK.
4. Why do you want right click?
Hiromacu

Post by Hiromacu »

telega wrote:Looks like some error occurred while FD 2.1 tried to migrate old thumbnails into bookmarks.
Yes, and after I deleted everything all errors gone.

telega wrote:1. Yep, this is a bug. Thanks, fixed.
Thank you, now it is good.

telega wrote:2. Probably you have set "Open in: new tab" on the parent folder. When item has empty "Open in" value, then value of its parent is used.
Yes, you are right, I understand. The child folder inherit its parent folder's settings. But a little bit annoying to set every single link one by one to "Open in: new tab" in a child folder. Could you make individual global setting in a child folder what overwrite their parents settings? (If this is too big work never mind.)

telega wrote:3. Yes, "Add to Fast Dial" menu item was removed. In 2.1 you can add opened tabs using 2 ways:
a) Open site in a tab, then double click "star" icon in browser address bar, choose "Fast Dial" folder and click OK.
b) Open site in a tab, then switch to FD page, click on an empty cell to open Properties dialog. URL field has a drop-down with a list of currently opened tabs, choose one and click OK.
OK, thanks but I figured out its!

telega wrote:4. Why do you want right click?
Because I use a Wacom Tablet when I surfing on the net and if I touch the tablet to select a link Fast Dial sometimes take zoom instead of open that link. Not a big problem but annoying.

However I still love this extension!! :D You are do great job!! =D>
Last edited by Hiromacu on August 20th, 2008, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
telega

Post by telega »

Hiromacu, thank you.

Hiromacu wrote:Yes, you are right, I understand. The child folder inherit its parent folder's settings. But a little bit annoying to set every single link one by one to "Open in: new tab" in a child folder. Could you make individual global setting in a child folder what overwrite their parents settings? (If this is too big work never mind.)

No, child folder doesn't inherit parent settings. Just folder "Open in" setting is used for all direct child thumbnails which don't have their own "Open in" setting.
phrupho

what means max load time

Post by phrupho »

hello there is a setting called "max load time". i cannot see any difference, no matter which value i use in it!
please explain that ;)

thanx
phrupho
telega

Re: what means max load time

Post by telega »

phrupho wrote:hello there is a setting called "max load time". i cannot see any difference, no matter which value i use in it!

When Fast Dial loads a site and the site is not responding, Fast Dial will wait "max load time" seconds for site to respond. Also greater "max load time" parameter lets more time for site rendering (This is useful for sites using AJAX, like Gmail or Google Reader).
Not sure if I made it clear.
egbert

Re: [ext] Fast Dial 2.1 for Firefox

Post by egbert »

Hi, I tried out FD 2.1 and it looks really nice so far! Great work once again!!
Auto-Migration of FD 1.9 thumbnails didn't work though (sub-folders where empty, FS would not show up) and I had to uninstall FD completely, but now everything seems fine.
But there's on thing I miss from FD 1.9, the back/up arrow. Any plans to re-introduce this?
Thanks!
Old telega

Post by Old telega »

egbert,
Thank you.
Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce auto-migration bug, hope will find it later.
Back button: In FD 2.x you can use browser's Back/Forward buttons instead. These buttons weren't working with FD 1.x that's why custom "Back" button was added.
egbert

Post by egbert »

Old telega wrote:Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce auto-migration bug, hope will find it later.

Thanks telega, not a big issue! Most users will start with a fresh install anyways.
And I'm glad the move to FF places opens FD bookmarks to searching, tagging etc.
Old telega wrote:Back button: In FD 2.x you can use browser's Back/Forward buttons instead. These buttons weren't working with FD 1.x that's why custom "Back" button was added.

Yeah, I really like the fact that I can now use the browser's back/forward buttons (or rather the mouse gestures)!
But not being able to go up is something I really miss. I use the Uppity extension to go to a URL's parent folder, but navigating inside FD was so much more intuitive with FD 1.9, in my opinion. And there really are situations when I have to go to the FD home and start over again, navigating through my FD folder structure because the back button will not lead me up a level but rather take me back to a site I visited.
egbert

Post by egbert »

One suggestion: It would be nice to have the option to visually distinguish between a site thumbnail and a folder thumbnail, e.g. by using different title font or background colours.
CheechGe

Post by CheechGe »

Not sure if this is the correct place to post for FD 1.9 problems but if so I have a couple of minor problems with FD 1.9 running on FF 2.x on Windows/XP/SP3

Problem 1
I have a 2 monitor system with monitor 1 on the right and monitor 2 on the left of it. Although they are of different sizes the resolution is the same. With the FF window not set to full screen and located on monitor 1 if the mouse is right clicked (in either FD background or in a cell) to get the context menu for setting properties and such the context menu appears under the mouse pointer, as it should. However, if FF is on monitor 2 the context menu appears to the left of the FF window. This creates 2 problems, 1. the mouse must be move to select an option from the menu, and 2. if the FF window is located either at the left edge or close to the left edge of the monitor the menu either is invisible (at left edge) or only partially visible (near left edge). For some reason on monitor 2 the context menu does not appear under the mouse pointer.

Problem 2
The unused FD cells are set to display a black (empty) image. As a visual aid, I wanted to see if a logo could be used in a group box so I set an existing logo in the custom area of a group box. For some reason the logo which filled an entire normal cell only filled about one quarter of a group cell. Additionally, when I removed the logo from the group cell I could not longer get the group cell to display the black (empty) images. I tried resetting the image color in the Preferences>>Appearance to a different color which effected all of the others unused cells except for the one that previous had been set to display a custom logo which now has a white image color.

Problem 3
If a tab is closed when a FD group page is displayed depending on how a new tab is opened a different FD page will be displayed. A Ctl-T will open the FD root page whereas a right click>>New Tab issued on the tab line will open the group page that was being displayed when the tab was closed.

Thanks to anyone that can help or offer suggestions

Cheech
michaelcarey26

Post by michaelcarey26 »

I have a little blue refresh button in the upper left hand corner of every icon at all times. This is in addition to the one that shows up with the other buttons when I scroll over the correct area.

I am using FF 3, FD 2.1.
chiaro_oscuro

Post by chiaro_oscuro »

michaelcarey26

>I have a little blue refresh button in the upper left hand corner of every icon at all times<

The blue refresh circle is shown in FD 2.x when auto-refresh timeout is specified in thumbnail properties.
sponny

Post by sponny »

Hi folks (sorry if this is the wrong place to put this post but it's my first time here).

I have FF3 running with FD2.1. I cannot find the image or *.sqlite files associated with my FD2.1 installation. I want to back them up once I've created my fast dial settings (having lost them twice recently when other things have been upgraded).

I've looked in the %appdata%\mozilla\firefox\profiles folder but there is no Fastdial folder or sqlite or png files anywhere. The extension is obvioulsy working because it loaded my FD settings.

I even tried to create a new profile "run firefox -p" and created some more fastdial settings. Though firefox created a new folder under the profiles one, there was still nothing called a Fastdial folder.

So can someone please tell me simply where all the settings and images for FD2.1 are stored as it's the only frustrating thing with what is an excellent utility.

Thanks