Thunderbird already running - not responding

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Eben

Thunderbird already running - not responding

Post by Eben »

I get an error window "Close Thunderbird" with the message "Thunderbird is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window you must first close the existing Thunderbird process or restart your system."

This error began after my last problem with the "AccessibleMarshal.dll" file while installing the update. I finally was able to delete the whole Thunderbird folder after using 'Closer" to unlock a dll. But after reinstalling Thunderbird I get this new message. The only instance of Thunderbird running, according to the Processes tab in the Task Manager is the one that I'm starting. It appears in the list when I start Thunderbird, and the error window closes when I stop this one instance of the process.

Any suggestions? (I'm getting really frustrated - Thunderbird was a great program until this last update.)
Roy66uk

Re: Thunderbird already running - not responding

Post by Roy66uk »

Have you tried a totally 'clean' install of TB, ie backing up your profile, then uninstalling Thunderbird *and* deleting your profile folder, restarting your system, and then installing afresh and restoring your profile?
After doing the above it is quite important that you run a disk cleaner and registry scan and fix for left over entries. The safest and best program to use is 'CCleaner -slim-no toolbar':
http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim ... d4191.html
And run both those options *before* downloading or installing the clean TB.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird

NB: Just in case you are using VISTA, this article might also be relevant:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser_will_ ... 2_on_Vista
It is just as relevant for TB as Firefox on VISTA
Eben

Post by Eben »

I did the deleting and cleaning up. (CCleaner is a great utility) I was able to install Thunderbird. But when it started up I got this error window:

Software Update Failed
One or more files could not be updated. Please make sure all other applications are closed and that you have permission to modify files, and then restart Thunderbird to try again.

What did Mozilla do to this update that has Thunderbird so screwed up? It's a disaster! What can I do now?
Eben

Post by Eben »

When I clicked on "OK" to close the above error window I got this message:

"Update Failed: The partial update could not be applied. Thunderbird will try again by downloading a complete update."

NO! How do I stop this? Is there a way to turn off updates?
Roy66uk

Post by Roy66uk »

Eben wrote:I did the deleting and cleaning up. (CCleaner is a great utility)

What did Mozilla do to this update that has Thunderbird so screwed up? It's a disaster! What can I do now?

It's Vista doing it. It means that you did *not* actually clear out the files that had the software update data left behind. I'm not on or near my Vista box right now so I cannot tell you where exactly it is but it is in your 'user' data files.
I suggest you do what I suggested before but this time back up your profile as follows:
1. Make a manual back up copy of the profile and save that in a folder somewhere away from its original location and make the Folder *name* something you wont forget or mistakenly delete in the next steps.
2. Make a backup using MozBackup and store that in the same folder
**You could also store the above 2 items on a pen drive, CD etc
Now do a *totally* clean uninstall and that means being very careful to actually *delete* all Thunderbird folders of every kind in every location (except that one you created for the backups) on your entire system.
If you do the above, I can assure you that having had to do it at least 3 times on Vista Home premium that it *will* work.
Last edited by Roy66uk on August 30th, 2008, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eben

Post by Eben »

Now I'm back to the error window "Close Thunderbird" with the message "Thunderbird is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window you must first close the existing Thunderbird process or restart your system."

Is there a reader for Thunderbird e-mail folders? If I could just get at my e-mail files I'd scrap Thunderbird and use another mail program.
Eben

Post by Eben »

I'm using XP - wouldn't touch Vista with a 50-foot pole.
Roy66uk

Post by Roy66uk »

Ok well it's strange it's happening in XP but it means the same - you did *not* do a clean install. So do what I suggest in my latest post before this. Otherwise good luck.

NB: And Vista is now fine and its a myth that teething problems 12+ months ago remain.
Last edited by Roy66uk on August 30th, 2008, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eben

Post by Eben »

I'll try the whole cleaning process again.
Roy66uk

Post by Roy66uk »

As long as you don't merely repeat what you did before.
Eben

Post by Eben »

OK - I deleted every instance of a Thunderbird file or folder I could find. (After backing up and renaming the Profile) I ran CCleaner, both the application and registry parts, a half dozen times, rebooting between each run. As far as I can tell I eliminiated every Thunderbird file. I even deleted the Thunderbird distribution file and downloaded a new one.

So now when I try to install it I'm back to the "AccessibleMarshal.dll" file error - "Error opening file for writing: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\AccessibleMarshal.dll"

I ran CCleaner again and there are lots (probably 5 screenfuls) of entries with the same key - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache\KB885836 - which were not there before I tried to install Thunderbird. No Thunderbird entries in CClearner for applications or registry. Non found when searching Drive C: of "My Computer" except for the distribution file and the folder it created when it started installing.

Next suggestion?
Roy66uk

Post by Roy66uk »

Well assuming you did delete the entire c\program files\Mozilla Thunderbird folder, the only other cause I can think of is you don't have permissions to install programs to that directory on that system. Other than that I'll have to leave this to someone else for fresh ideas.
Eben

Post by Eben »

I must have permission - I've been installing programs all along. XP isn't as bad as Vista when it comes to installing programs.

Here's a new twist. I found version 1.0.2 and installed it with no problems. It forced me to create a profile with my user name, e-mail account, etc. Then I renamed the Thunderbird folder that contains that profile, moved it to another folder, and copied the version 2.0.0.16 Thunderbird folder in the Applications folder. Now when Thunderbird starts I don't get the "Close Thunderbird" error, instead it says "Profile in Use: Thunderbird cannot use the profile "default" because it is in use. Please chose another profile or create a new one."

Anyone have any suggestions?
dcw5

Post by dcw5 »

See this http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?locale=en-US&forumId=1&comments_parentId=2582 for a similar problem with Firefox and a possible solution.

or Google for "AccessibleMarshal.dll thunderbird" and follow some of the suggestions.
Roy66uk

Post by Roy66uk »

That link and all the follow on links come back to the two same scenarios already listed above:

1. The actual problem this OP had originally - looping update - is mostly seen in Vista, though it has shown in XP and the solution is 100% the same. A clean and total uninstall of the core program and every other associated file and directory including profile data, and a fresh clean install from a *newly* downloaded set up file. Only existing mail/mail settings, ie the core profile should be backed up and stored somewhere securely.
2. Accessible Marshall issue is known, again mainly in Vista, and in XP it is because of lack of permissions on the system concerned.

So I think - unless the OP can read widely enough to find another cause - we are back to square one.