Test Build of the New Win32 Installer Now Available

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
pljones

enigmail vs mscott's Win32 installer 2004-03-12

Post by pljones »

Is it just me or has enigmail gone broken? I'm sure it was working with Moox' 10 March build.

I have, as ever, tried both the 0.5 and 0.6 -compatible EnigMail/EnigMime builds - installing either one causes T'bird to crash on closing (I have the drwtsn32 log if it's useful).
Kylotan

Post by Kylotan »

mscott wrote:As far as creating icons & stuff goes, we share the same installer framework as firefox which was built from seamonkey. Shouldn't be any new behaviors here unique to us....

Does this mean the installer shares the same hard-disk trashing tendencies as the Firefox one? And the inability to change the installation path on Win98? (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=50829)
Greg K Nicholson

Post by Greg K Nicholson »

When the shortcut icons become optional, can we have ones for the Address Book and Message Composer too?
tseelee

Re: Test Build of the New Win32 Installer Now Available

Post by tseelee »

mscott wrote:3) We create a desktop icon and an icon in the quick launch bar (not sure what you call that) for launching the app.

Someone's prolly answered it, I know some have in passing, but it's the quicklaunch icon.

Best,
Tsee
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance. - Socrates as quoted in Lives of Eminent Philosophers
Pail

Post by Pail »

The offline extension is not installed when selected. I tried it twice to be sure. Manual installation was fine. Used http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... dSetup.exe.

cheers, Pail
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

mqwtm wrote:When the shortcut icons become optional, can we have ones for the Address Book and Message Composer too?

Doesn't the -compose option to the command string work for you?
IIRC there is -addressbook as well.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
Greg K Nicholson

Post by Greg K Nicholson »

couldabeen wrote:
mqwtm wrote:When the shortcut icons become optional, can we have ones for the Address Book and Message Composer too?

Doesn't the -compose option to the command string work for you?
IIRC there is -addressbook as well.
Yeah, they both work great - that's why I thought it'd be nice to have the installer create icons for them. :)
paugq

Silent install

Post by paugq »

How can I perform a silent install? I guess it's impossible, like in Firefox :-(

What about adding a "-silent" parameter to the setup program?

This is a NEED for system administrators. We can not be hand-installing it in every computer, and having to create a our own WinRAR/NSIS/somethinglike autoinstaller is a drawback (although I did it for Firefox: http://mozilla.elpauer.org)
sasquatch

Re: Silent install

Post by sasquatch »

paugq wrote:How can I perform a silent install? I guess it's impossible, like in Firefox :-(

What about adding a "-silent" parameter to the setup program?

This is a NEED for system administrators. We can not be hand-installing it in every computer, and having to create a our own WinRAR/NSIS/somethinglike autoinstaller is a drawback (although I did it for Firefox: http://mozilla.elpauer.org)

I don't think it is recommended for "production" environments yet, so probably not a big deal right now for that feature.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Regarding the icons, I have yet to see a Windows NT 4.0 install have a proper icon. They all show up with horizontal lines through the icon, appearing corrupted somehow, but they work properly other than the looks.

Just wondering if anyone else having this problem, and if this installer build fixes that issue.

Thanks.
djst

Re: Test Build of the New Win32 Installer Now Available

Post by djst »

djst wrote:
mscott wrote:3) We create a desktop icon and an icon in the quick launch bar (not sure what you call that) for launching the app.

Placing a shortcut on the desktop is going against Microsofts Windows XP guidelines of a clean desktop.

I should be more specific:
Microsoft wrote:F1.1 Install shortcuts correctly

The Start menu is designed to give users easy access to launch applications. Usability studies show that when the Start menu and/or Windows Desktop become too cluttered, users have a very difficult time finding and launching their programs. This leads to a bad user experience.

* Do not place shortcuts on the Desktop except by request of the user. If an option to add such a shortcut is offered to the user, then this should not be checked by default. Automatic installs should not place any shortcuts on the Desktop. [...]

* Do not place shortcuts to documents, such as Readme files, in the Start menu.
If you have important information that the user should see, consider displaying that information during the install process or on the help menu of the application.

- <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=209E3D65-F0BE-4EEF-8602-73BB9BC29D54">Designed for Windows XP Application Specification</a>

This means that the only shortcuts in the start menu should be Thunderbird and Profile Manager. No readme or license cruft.
swalker

Post by swalker »

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=225641 - Installer should ask where to put icons; I know this is filed on Firefox, but they share most of the installer code...
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28174 - Shortcut icon dialog in installer (desktop / start menu icons should be optional)
mscott

Post by mscott »

I found out why offline wasn't getting installed if you selected it with the test installer build I put out. The next installer based build that comes out should have this part working.
Thunderbirds are Go!
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Scott: I'm seeing an occasional refusal to delete messages.

For example, a few minutes ago I highlighted five MozillaZine notification messages, pressed Delete, and nothing happened. I was able to kill Tbird, restart it, repeat the operation, which was successful.

I realize that I have not provided you with nearly enough information, but that's all I have, so all I am doing is telling you that it happens. Perhaps others will report the same thing?
ckjnigel

Post by ckjnigel »

Just to report my quick impressions with 3/15 trunk installer (this on an 850 MHz PIII Compaq notebook, WinMe):
1) changing from the default installation directory resulted in alarming delays, disappearing screen video (blocks of drawn material gone), though I did ultimately succeed in putting it in /Program Files/mozilla.org/Thunderbird.
2) I was surprised that installer picked up a forgotten profile including an alternative Theme; I'd have liked to be asked if I wanted the old profile or wished to create a new one.
3) I was (finally!) able to get mail out using an unusual port: 587 worked fine (after I was cautioned about a screwed up security certificate and I said I'd live with it). I've a hunch the difficulties I've before grumbled about stemmed from handling that security certificate. I've never had difficulty using MailSnare's port 2525. (My free dial-up ISP blocks port 25). Whether attempting to send via default port will freeze the client (as happens with AOL Communicator) I've not had courage to test. And I'm not quite sure if I dare try port 465 ... [I still think Pegasus the star for connectivity!]
4) Five months of routinely using AOL Communicator (a September '03 build) have got me to accept that as the way things should be done. I continue to regard that as the cleanest, most pleasing interface I've seen among, let's see, Calypso, Becky, Mulberry, Mahogany, OE, Outlook full, YAMC, Eudora, Bat, Poco, and Opera 7.23 & 7.50+. I most especially miss the way AOL Communicator pops up asking if I want to switch to plain text from default HTML-mode for recipients in certain domains. And I think that the Opera 7.5 sidebar RSS feed system is unequalled; I think that in the column of mail and newsgroup accounts is the place to put RSS feeds.