Firefox doesn't open some links correctly

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
rwmnau

Firefox doesn't open some links correctly

Post by rwmnau »

I've noticed that when I'm using the middle mouse button to open links in a new tab, FireFox doesn't follow javascript links correctly, instead giving me a blank page in a new tab. The behavior can be seen by visiting this page:

https://qspace.iplace.com/cobrands/229/ ... c=1434BLUE

and clicking "Privacy Policy" in the paragraph near the bottom. I should be able to force the link to open in a new tab, but it only gives a blank page, and if I want to view the link, I have to use the left mouse button and open it up in a new window. Is there any way to change this behavior?
--------------------------------------------------------
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

This is an issue that has been around for quite a while, and it's because of a limitation in the open new tab function. When you middle click a link, or right click/ open in new tab, Firefox takes the link you are pointing at and opens it in a new tab. In the case of that link, what you get is Firefox trying to open

javascript:pop_upWin(......);

which is not a web address, it's a call to a javascript function. ATM Firefox is unable to differentiate between the two when opening in a new tab. I doubt this is fixable, since there would be no consistent way to retrieve the real URL from pages like this (especially ones that write their own functions, like this one seems to). So IMO if there isn't a bug for this already, someone should file a bug to get Firefox to IGNORE middle clicks on Javascript links, treat them as left clicks instead or ignore them completely.