[Ext]Session Manager 0.7.6.1 - Aug 3, 2011

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Morac

[Ext]Session Manager 0.7.6.1 - Aug 3, 2011

Post by Morac »

This thread is now closed. Please continue all discussion of Session Manager in the new thread.
Last edited by Morac on September 18th, 2011, 5:07 pm, edited 58 times in total.
Morac

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.6.2

Post by Morac »

This is a continuation from my previous thread which had gotten too large.
makondo

Post by makondo »

Thanks for the update, Morac! Since i was using 0.6.1.16, i understand it's the same as 0.6.2, right? I've installed the 0.6.2.
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

I like the new documentation. Thanks.
Morac

Post by Morac »

makondo wrote:Thanks for the update, Morac! Since i was using 0.6.1.16, i understand it's the same as 0.6.2, right? I've installed the 0.6.2.

There's a few minor differences, so it's not identical, but for the most part it's the same. I decided to bump up the version number to 0.6.2 because it let's me push out minor releases as 0.6.2.x as translations come in. Though apparently I accidentally wiped the Serbian (sr-YU) translation from Babelzilla. I still have the local partially translated files, but it's missing from the site.

Alan Baxter wrote:I like the new documentation. Thanks.

I'm glad you like it as it took me quite a while to put together. I think it was close to 6 hours (not sure how it took so long, but it did) so I'm glad at least one person is using it.

Oh and if anyone missed it, there is also an Options documentation page.

I still expect to receive e-mails periodically asking me questions that are answered in the documentation though. :wink:
lestarte

Post by lestarte »

Hi there.

First of all, nice job - thanks for this addon!

The sad part: since I've upgraded to Firefox 3, Session Manager doesn't work like it should anymore...
Regardless of disabling the built-in session saver of FFox or not, I always have to choose manually after starting that I want to open the last session.
(Do you recommend to disable the built-in saver by the way?)

I've disabled the ASK ME window at start (to choose a session) since it worked like a charm without it in FFox 2 and I don't want FFox to "hang" on that window while loading and me being away from the PC, for example.
The Ses.Man-setting is to load the last session automatically.

I've searched for forum-posts with this kind of problems but nothing worked for me.
Any ideas?

Much appreciated,
Lestarte
Recall

Post by Recall »

Could you implement a way so that it offers to save at shutdown, then if you click yes it automatically restores it?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

<Previous Browsing Session> is being displayed as "" on the Options doc page in the Select session section and other sections.
Last edited by Alan Baxter on September 3rd, 2008, 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

Morac wrote:Oh and if anyone missed it, there is also an Options documentation page.

I missed it. When I read through the Documentation page it didn't occur to me that all the items listed in Contents wasn't on that actual page. I didn't verify that nothing was missing. I suggest you explicitly add a link to the Options page at the end right after the Other Features section. The Contents listing can remain unchanged.
Morac

Post by Morac »

lestarte wrote:Hi there.
The sad part: since I've upgraded to Firefox 3, Session Manager doesn't work like it should anymore...
Regardless of disabling the built-in session saver of FFox or not, I always have to choose manually after starting that I want to open the last session.
(Do you recommend to disable the built-in saver by the way?)

I've disabled the ASK ME window at start (to choose a session) since it worked like a charm without it in FFox 2 and I don't want FFox to "hang" on that window while loading and me being away from the PC, for example.
The Ses.Man-setting is to load the last session automatically.

First off, don't disable Firefox's session management functionality since it is used by Session Manager.
Second, what exactly are you trying to do? If you want to restore the previous session, you have two choices:
1. Set the "show my windows and tabs from last time" option in Firefox and FFwill handle the restore.
2. Set the "Select Session" -> "<Previous Browsing Sesssion>" option in Session Manager and SM will restore the last session.

If neither of the above is working, please tell me what OS you are using, what setting you have set in Session Manager and what other extensions you are using.

Recall wrote:Could you implement a way so that it offers to save at shutdown, then if you click yes it automatically restores it?

That's kind of how things worked in my development version up into about a week ago, but I changed it because it didn't make sense. Currently you can set it up to prompt you at shutdown, but choosing to save won't automatically restore it. Similarly there is a prompt at startup, but that's not what you want either. I guess I can change the prompt at shutdown's options to "Save", "Save and Restore Next Time", and "Quit". That won't make it into 0.6.2 though since 0.6.2 just went public over at addons.mozilla.org.

Alan Baxter wrote:<Previous Browsing Session> is being displayed as "" on the Options doc page in the Select session section and other sections.

Thanks. I found a few other errors which I'm also going to correct.
jerone

Post by jerone »

I like your extention and I'm always using it. So good work.

I would like just one option: import and export of settings.
Morac

Post by Morac »

Well as usually right after 0.6.2 got released I found a number of stupid bugs:

1. The main one is one that can prevent the restoring of the "previous browsing session" from working. It requires a bunch of convoluted steps - basically having SM prompt you for a session at startup and then you clicking cancel and don't prompt me again and finally choosing to restore the previous browsing session. To work around this, choose a different session to restore, click apply and then choose the previous browsing session.
  2. The delete and rename menu items are disabled, if there were no user sessions, but there were backup sessions.
  3. If encryption is enabled, then blank windows are backed up.
The above will be fixed in a version I'll release shortly. I also added functionality based on Recall's suggestion.
makondo

Post by makondo »

Morac wrote:... I still expect to receive e-mails periodically asking me questions that are answered in the documentation though. :wink:

Count on it! but i like Alan's suggestion - link it to the options window.
Good job! And with the small errors on the page corrected ;-) - will be excellent!
Morac

Post by Morac »

makondo wrote:Count on it! but i like Alan's suggestion - link it to the options window.
Good job! And with the small errors on the page corrected ;-) - will be excellent!

As do I and I've already updated the page. Thanks.
WildcatRay

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.6.2.1

Post by WildcatRay »

@Morac,

Thanks for the update. I have a question and/or suggestion. Is there a setting (in about:config) that can stop the documentation page from loading after installing and/or updating the extension? Or, alternately, can it be revised to load in a new tab like NoScript and FlashGot do? Thanks.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi