can i make the tab on title bar

Post by register88 »

can i make the tab on title bar?
like google chrome does ......
more space to view page ......
Canyonero

Re: can i make the tab on title bar

Post by Canyonero »

I have an extension that does this. Unfortunately I got zealous/lazy and stole Google Chrome's theme data to mock it up to look (close) to the same. I'm not sure what the licensing issues are there with the images, but I can strip 'em out and put it up on AMO.
tz8z

Post by tz8z »

If you would that'd be great!
If only we knew what we don't know...
steviex

Post by steviex »

^^ Canyonero, Have a word with faloner2... He has just launched a Chrome-esqe theme....

Maybe you could put your heads together on this...

Theme here... https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8782
Support thread... viewtopic.php?f=18&t=664103&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
Stifu

Post by Stifu »

To clear things up, with this theme, the tabs are still below the URL bar, and the title bar is still there.
steviex

Post by steviex »

That's why I suggested the collaboration, and called it Chome-esque...
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
Stifu

Post by Stifu »

Still, this theme is nice, I'm keeping it for now. But there are a few minor graphic glitches with tabs, sometimes (which disappear once you focus the tabs).
UltimaRage

Post by UltimaRage »

Canyonero wrote:I have an extension that does this. Unfortunately I got zealous/lazy and stole Google Chrome's theme data to mock it up to look (close) to the same. I'm not sure what the licensing issues are there with the images, but I can strip 'em out and put it up on AMO.

Could you somehow send me your add-on for putting tabs in the titlebar for Firefox?

Chrome is too new to really be secure, I don't want to have to use it to have tabs in the title bar. Plus I can customize Firefox to have more viewing space than Chrome as well. :)
Canyonero

Post by Canyonero »

I just put it up here. I haven't tested that at all, and I'm not sure if it'll work well on anyone else's system, but you can try it if you want. Its not per-pixel perfect, and its got some errors in the theme. Just removed the normal titlebar, and puts a thinner one up there. I'm pretty sure I could actually overlap the tabbar and titlebar better, but it hasn't been a huge priority for me now. Gotta get home before the wife gets to mad.

Stifu

Post by Stifu »

I tried it, it's nice although still buggy. Not pixel perfect as you said (inactive tabs have a 1px issue on the bottom left corner), and it gets messed up when there are too many tabs.
Also, just a side nit: the top isn't blue like that on Vista, only XP, but I don't know whether you can easily adapt to the OS with a theme.

Edit: oh, and it hides the Windows task bar at the bottom, that's annoying... I'm forced to minimize Firefox to switch to another program.

Edit 2: ack, it seems to have messed up my profile... I reverted to another theme, and now tabs are still at the top, the task bar is always hidden, the new tab button is still there, etc.
Any way to fix this easily? :?
Are there about:config prefs I have to reset or something?
Canyonero

Post by Canyonero »

Heh. I uploaded a slightly "better" version today, that probably introduces new bugs too. The Vista thing is hard to fix, but I can try to add support for Glasser sometime. Just haven't been on Vista for awhile.

The maximize problem has something to do with when you call window.maximize() from Javascript. It covers the taskbar, which makes no sense to me. I'm sure someone has found a workaround before, but again, I haven't really looked.

The tabs on top issue is because this is actually a theme + extension. You have to disable the extension (called "Overlays" which I know is a bad name, I'll fix it later) to move tabs to the bottom/show normal window chrome, and then select your new theme. I just did it that way so that themes could support the extension, and then hacked support for it into Chromifox. The extensions default theme sucks right now, which is something I'll have to fix.

Can this be moved over to extension development now?
akuklev

Post by akuklev »

Could you tell more about the hack? I think, many users are mainly interested not in a Chromium theme per se, but in a separate extension which would let them using their favorite themes but embed tab bar into the title bar in a possibly discreet way.

I mean having a mixture of this (FF with default theme on WinXP with dark theme)

and this (Chromium with dark theme)
steviex

Post by steviex »

How did this end up in Builds, ?? Moving this to Firefox Support....

(Not totally sure where to put this)

Canyonero

Post by Canyonero »

I'll just start a thread in extension development.
steviex

Post by steviex »

OK.. I could lock this, and you could link to falconer2's thread in Theme Dev, as this is somewhat of a crossover project...

I imagine that this might end up as a Theme and Extension bundle ....

Does that sound right ?