Test Build of the New Win32 Installer Now Available

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

I downloaded and played with it. It looks good so far. The only thing that bit me was that installing from the Windows Installer broke the Calendar extension I had previously installed for the Zip version. Downloading and installing the latest Calendar nightly fixed that, but a note in the docs somewhere about it might be nice.

I second the motion that the installer let the user choose whether to put icons on the desktop and in the Quick Launch bar. (I let apps put icons on the desktop, then move them to one or another desktop folder. I don't let them put stuff in the Start menu or the Quick Launch bar.)

For the future, I'd love an option to import mail/news settings from Netscape or Mozilla. I have Netscape 7.1, Mozilla 1.6, Firefox 0.8 and Thunderbird 0.5 installed. Following some suggestions on Mozillazine forums, I now have Netscape, Firefox, and Mozilla sharing the same bookmarks file. At the moment, I'm looking at what I have to do to get them to share news configurations. I don't use Moz/Netsape/Tbird fror reading mail, but do use them for news, and I'd like to share settings so I can use whichever one I prefer without things getting out of sync. (Yes, I know it's dangerous. But I only use one at a time, so I'm less concerned. )
______
Dennis
SeaMonkey 1.1.19/NS 7.2/SeaMonkey 2.33.1/SeaMonkey 2.34a,FF release version 32 bit, FF Developer Edition 64bit, FF Nightly 64 bit, Kompozer 0.8b3/Sunbird 0.8/Win2K Pro SP4/WinXP Pro SP3/Win7 Pro SP1/Win10 Pro, Ubuntu Linux 12.04/Ubuntu Linux 16.04/Puppy Linux 4.31
ckjnigel

Post by ckjnigel »

Hey, I'm getting hooked on it!
I discovered where to set domains for text vs. HTML .
And thanks to Kylotan for the heads up about Forumzilla -- I'd not known of its existence.
That extension needs options for selecting a browser that isn't default and advance setting which profile if it's in the Moz family ... oh, sorry, that's off topic here...
Hey, look, kudos to those involved ... there's truly huge advances made since I abandoned T-bird five months ago.
Alycat

Post by Alycat »

I think the new installer program is good, makes it lot easier if, like me, you store each TBird build in a different folder. One point, usually install program display the detailed version number of the file they are installing but TBird installer just says (I think) 0.5.
JSS3rd

Post by JSS3rd »

I've been using the installer build for the past few nightlies, and the few quibbles I have have already been mentioned, with one exception ... I think that, on the installer's license page, "I Accept..." should automatically be selected, rather than "I do NOT Accept...".

I realize that Microsoft installations force you to select the acceptance of the license, but many other installers have it pre-selected. Since anyone intentionally installing Tbird IS going to accept the license, why create an additional, unnecessary step?

XP Pro SP-1, Classic view, Tbird 0.5+ (2004-03-21), POP3 single account, HTML, default theme, no extensions
Jim
64-bit Win7 Pro SP1, 64-bit PM (Pale Moon) 27.8.2, 64-bit FF 59.0.2, 32-bit TB 52.7.0
Moonwolf

Post by Moonwolf »

Because it forces the user to at least acknowledge that a licence exists, rather than simply clicking the "next" button?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1
Thunderbird 1.0 (20041206)
EMbuttons: Buttons & options for the Extension Manager. Easy Get Mail Button is here too.
JSS3rd

Post by JSS3rd »

Point taken, but when is the last time you, or anyone else, read a license?
Jim
64-bit Win7 Pro SP1, 64-bit PM (Pale Moon) 27.8.2, 64-bit FF 59.0.2, 32-bit TB 52.7.0
ckjnigel

Post by ckjnigel »

I tried to install the 3/21 and it was a catastrophe necessitating a rollback with Roxio GoBack. I had used Add/Remove Programs to get rid of 3/15, though I left the Tb folder. The installer again labored mightily when I insisted on /Program Files/mozilla.org/Thunderbird, then went into convulsions when the offline extension I'd ticked wasn't found. The installer couldn't finish, I Ctrl-Alt-Del 'd to get out. I double-clicked the new desktop icon and saw icons were smeared across three lines, but everything froze. ScanDisk couldn't cope with what it encountered at reboot, so I had to do the roll back.
Should the Tb folder be entirely removed? Was the offline extension in the 3/21 build?
JSS3rd

Post by JSS3rd »

I hadn't installed the 3-21 build, skipping from 3-20 to 3-22, so I tried it, just to see what would happen.

I don't uninstall the older build ... I move the Tbird folder to a temporary location (though the empty folder itself, or a copy of it, has been left behind the last couple of times) then run the installer for the new build, which installs to the old location. No problems installing any recent build, except that, so far as I know, the offline option still isn't available ... I haven't tried to install it for the past couple of days.

After I know the new build is working satisfactorily, I simply delete the old folder from the temp location.
Last edited by JSS3rd on March 22nd, 2004, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Same here. That "temp location" for me is usually the "recycle bin", which I then empty after a few good days of use of the new one.

I'm using Krueger's Free/Thunderbird Mozilla Thunderbird 0.5+ (20040322) right now, and it hasn't coughed yet over half a day (I know, not much time).

I wish I could get Firefox working as well (still on Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20040219 Firefox/0.8.0+ )
JSS3rd

Post by JSS3rd »

I'm using today's (3-22-04) official Win32 installer builds for both Tbird and Fx, and have experienced no problems.

Tbird: XP Pro SP-1, Classic view, Tbird 0.5+ (2004-03-22), POP3 single account, HTML, default theme, no extensions
Firefox: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040322 , default theme, TBE
Jim
ckjnigel

Post by ckjnigel »

My installation attempt for the 3/20 probably was SNAFU because I have Tagzilla, which requires the offline extension plus (dunno if it was involved) jslib. I don't really see why all installers shouldn't include this valuable extension.
mscott

Post by mscott »

I think I have the offline extension stuff worked out. Starting with todays (03/24) installer, the optional offline component should be working.
Thunderbirds are Go!