Open Lightning & Thunderbird in separate window simultaneous

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
twlod

Open Lightning & Thunderbird in separate window simultaneous

Post by twlod »

I am trying to open Lightning and Thunderbird in separate windows simultaneously. I have 2 monitors, one on which I keep my calendar displayed and one for email and other active programs. In Outlook, I used to be able to right click on my calendar and "open in new window". I can't figure out how to do that in Thunderbird. I created a shortcut for just my calendar, but it doesn't let me open Lightning separately.
Any ideas???
bvdbos

Re: Open Lightning & Thunderbird in separate window simultaneous

Post by bvdbos »

You can rightclick on your accountname in mail-view and choose open, it opens a new Thunderbird window. Then you can set the calendar in one of the windows and mail in the other.
twlod

Post by twlod »

Excellent!!!
Thanks so much... I was trying to do it the way it's done in Outlook and that wasn't working.

You're the best!
peterpeter

Post by peterpeter »

Hi
I was struggling with the same issue
It seems simple now... but I can now work with three windows open, one each for Tbird, Calendar and Tasks.
Brilliant! Thanks!
Peter
Energise

Post by Energise »

Hi there

This is a brilliant idea but, for some reason, I can't see my account name in mail-view!!! Maybe I have misunderstood what you have instructed.

I'm sorry that this will seem such a stupid question but please could you explain to such a 'twit' as myself how I can achieve this?

I'm running WinXP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.16

Many thanks
Julie
MoZilForum

Post by MoZilForum »

Energise wrote:Hi there

This is a brilliant idea but, for some reason, I can't see my account name in mail-view!!! Maybe I have misunderstood what you have instructed.

I'm sorry that this will seem such a stupid question but please could you explain to such a 'twit' as myself how I can achieve this?

I'm running WinXP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.16

Many thanks
Julie
Julie,

I'm running the exact setup. What the thread indicates from the previous post is they are pointing you to the account that you receive your email on, i.e julie@XXXX.com, JulieX@YYYYY,etc. Doesn't matter what account. All you need to do is right click on your email account and then click open. This will load the Inbox again, for which you can then go to your calendar view in the lower left corner of your [mail, calendar, tasks view}. Just repeat the steps for the tasks and then you will have all three open in your application tray. These are the apps located in the bottom of your screen. Hope this Helps!
Energise

Post by Energise »

Hi
Thanks for your explanation.

By right clicking on 'Inbox' and then clicking on 'Open'. I have managed to open a second TB application

I have achieved what I wanted, thanks. However, it still remains a mystery as I still can't see my account name, ie julie@xxx.com etc, as it doesn't show anywhere on my screen. Maybe my interface is different for some reason.

I have a screen dump but dont know how to attach it! Sorry

Anyway, my main query is solved, but would be interested to know where the account name should be found!

cheers
Julie
UK
Mike A.

Post by Mike A. »

What is the line directly above Inbox?
Energise

Post by Energise »

Hi Mike

The line immediately above 'Inbox' on my screen is 'Local Folders', which I hadn't associated with it being referred to as Account Name etc. Does your screen show something different?

I have now tried clicking on 'Local Folders' and find it does the same as clicking on Inbox, as does clicking on any of the folders, in fact. You learn something every day, eh?

Why is it that no-one could just simply suggest right-clicking on one or any of the folders, then click 'open'? It would have made the answer to the question so much more straight forward!

Anyway, thanks for helping me sort out that query Mike.

Julie
Mike A.

Post by Mike A. »

Look for an add-on called "Folder pane tools." I rearranged my e-mail accounts so long ago that I forgot how I did it. That add-on will help.
Energise

Post by Energise »

Sorry, Mike, I don't understand the relevance of the add-on 'Folder pane tools'. I have checked it out and don't understand why you have put it in the posting. What have I missed?
Cheers
Julie
Mike A.

Post by Mike A. »

I dunno. Just thought it might help you.
MoZilForum

Post by MoZilForum »

Julie,

If you originally set up your account, TB gives you the option to use a Global Inbox with all your different email accounts. This way you are not having to check separate accounts. You can have any and all of your POP email accounts in TBird use the Local Folders Inbox, Sent and other folders instead of their own. (i.e julie@XXXX.com, JulieX@YYYYY,etc) Your Local Folders houses your email accounts. Right click the Local Folders and you should see all the accts that use this method to receive messages. As far as, the Folder pane tools add-on goes, this is a way to organize your Inbox's across multiple POP accounts. Email accounts and RSS accounts are placed above the Local Folders. When you setup a new account there is an option within the account wizard to check a box to use the Global Inbox. For an existing TB installation, even if you've used the default setting and left "Use Global Inbox (store mail in Local Folders)" checked, you've still established a named account, you won't see your email accounts under the Folder pane as you have set your email accounts to use the Global (Local Folders) Inbox option. Setup another "test" acct and don't use this option to see how it looks. don't forget to go back to the Account settings options under tools and delete the "test" acct you just created.

Keep on - Keeping On!!!
Energise

Post by Energise »

Thanks for all that information re different settings and the use of the folder pane tools. Yes, I can see why you thought it might help now, Mark.

Thanks everyone for all your input on this thread. I have learnt several things to my advantage etc.

Cheers
Julie
Pete2005

Post by Pete2005 »

I think you can also just double click on a folder to open a new Thunderbird window.