Firefox 2.x SOCKS5 Proxy authentication

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
hm2k

Firefox 2.x SOCKS5 Proxy authentication

Post by hm2k »

I've recently setup a SOCKS5 Proxy. As it is SOCKS5 I have added username/password authentication to it.

Opening firefox I find there is nowhere to put a username/password.

Needless to say that it does not work, and I am not sure why.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong, perhaps I have configured firefox incorrectly...

In Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network -> Connection -> Settings

It says "Manual proxy configuration", and the first field is entitled HTTP Proxy, further down there is SOCKS Host...

Note: The "help" on this section is useless.

I've tried both with just the SOCKS field filled out, and with the HTTP Proxy field filled out and the "Use this proxy server for all protocols" (which should work as SOCKS is used for sockets, which is what firefox uses as far as I know).

Neither worked, I was unable to reach any websites, no error, just a blank page. I was not prompted for any kind of username or password.

Can a SOCKS5 proxy be used as a HTTP Proxy like this? I can't see why not, but there's a serious lack of information on this subject. Help!

If you can shed any light on this subject it will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
hm2k

Re: Firefox 2.x SOCKS5 Proxy authentication

Post by hm2k »

*bump*

No answer -- is this a bug then?
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Is the socks Proxy port available or open. If the port is restricted or closed or functionally removed, that could cause it.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
hm2k

Post by hm2k »

The socks proxy works, i've tested it with other applications.
hm2k

Post by hm2k »

I investigated this further...

I had a read of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOCKS#SOCKS_5_protocol

And I used Wireshark to capture the data...

Firefox sends 050100

05: SOCKS version number (must be 0x05 for this version)
01: number of authentication methods supported, 1 byte
00: authentication methods, variable length, 1 byte per method supported

02 authentication method is GSSAPI or Generic Security Services Application Program Interface (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSSAPI)

The server does not support GSSAPI, so the client receives 05FF from the SOCKS5 server as per the RFC, yet firefox displays no error.

Why is there no username/password authentication in firefox? Did they just copy IE6 or something?
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Best guess is the proxy is system based and not Browser based. The browser on installation or opening picks up on the condition of the system. Firefox allows an input of name and password for proxy.
Look under /Advanced/Network/Configure/ . . how Firefox Connects to the internet.
There's Proxy options in this section of the /Preferences or /Tools/Options.

You would need an authentication abstraction library similar to SASL and it's appropriate plug-ins in your system that would allow the various formats:
ANONYMOUS, CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5, GSSAPI (MIT Kerberos 5 or MIT
Kerberos 5), NTLM, OTP, PLAIN, or LOGIN.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
hm2k

Post by hm2k »

I don't see these options in firefox v2.0.0.16, under the Network tab of Advanced Options I only see a "Settings" button, not "Configure", assuming this is what you mean, in there I see nothing about authentication...

I'm not sure I understand your suggested implementation... Please can you explain what you're suggesting should be done?

Can't firefox do this natively? It's surly not exactly a major thing to handle...

Thanks.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

You should have a screen which pops up that is titled "Connection Settings"
There should be a list with connection options. Under "Manual Configuration" there should be a list including types of proxy and port number. Your proxy password should be in your Windows system, possibly under the Control Panel. This is where your password would go. Again, best guess.
hm2k

Post by hm2k »

If the username and password is the same as the one I use for windows that is SSPI (GSSAPI).

It does not help when there is no mention of this in the help.

My SOCKS5 proxy does not support GSSAPI (unless I code it in).

I don't understand why firefox doesn't support regular auth?
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

You're getting beyond where I can help. You may need to look to Windows for support on this since it seems you need something which recognizes the GSSAPI, like the package I mentioned above.
Possibly the Developers site would have detailed information for you.
http://developer.mozilla.org/En
hm2k

Post by hm2k »

http://developer.mozilla.org/index.php? ... entication

This makes for interesting reading...
hm2k

Post by hm2k »

Due to recent interest in this topic and thread, and since it's still not resolved in FF3 I have decided to offer an update...

Since my last post I raised bug reports with Mozilla with regards to this issue:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=457691
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=457685
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=122752#c40

... Good luck.
Behind-The-Scenes

Post by Behind-The-Scenes »

I'm using FF 3.6.2 with the ProxyBar 1.1 add on, and it works great. I have SOCKSIV and SOCKSV options, It is working properly, no issues with firewall, active-X, java, JavaScript, or sniffers. Just download the new 3.6.2 and you have all of the features. For NIS 360 and NIS users, be prepared for a re-install if you use your IP 2.0 (Identity Safe Login's). Also, I found out that I could have used a proxy with socks5 withouth the ProxyBar 1.1, but it's simple and effective so I chose to keep it. You choose your proxy, no authentication required, just up-time XD Hope this helps.

"If you achieve 100% anonymity, you achieve 100% power!" Paul M. Roe
Sincerely,
aNonYmoUs
hm2k

Post by hm2k »

I have just installed and tried out ProxyBar mentioned above from this URL:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12834

It does NOT solve any of the issues outlined here.

I mostly think it is idiot spam, but I thought it was worth a shot anyway.
GarryG

Post by GarryG »

So why is this issue more or less ignored for over _8_ years? I mean, using some kind of authentication with a Socks5 server can't be that unusual ... having to install an extra local proxy just to have authentication work is a PITA ..