HELP! Thunderbird email web links not working

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
fluteman

HELP! Thunderbird email web links not working

Post by fluteman »

HELP! None of the URL links in Thunderbird are working - I click on a link and nothing happens - no error message, NOTHING. Even if Firefox is open and I click on a link in a Thunderbird email, it does not go to the website. I have to copy the link to the clipboard first, then paste the link into my web browser. I have no idea why this happened, but it began several months ago and I've been trying to resolve the problem ever since. It's also not limited to Firefox, I've tried using IE and Opera as well for the default browser and I still have the problem. But problem only pertains to my Thunderbird email client - when I use my Pegasus email client and email web links open up in Firefox just fine.

And I I've tried ALL of the various recommended solutions suggested in the various tech support sites and user forums that support Mozilla apps - all to no avail (e.g., manually setting Firefox as my preferred browser, reinstalling Thunderbird, etc.).

I'm running the most current version of TB 2.0.0.14 on Win XP SP2 with all security updates current, with Kaspersky ISS v7, and Thunderbird and Firefox set to perform automatic program updates. The has problem persisted even after I uninstalled / reinstalled Thunderbird and it's persisted even following a total clean reinstall of XP! ](*,)

Any ideas help would be appreciated.
"life's too short to drink bad wine"
charles

Re: HELP! Thunderbird email web links not working

Post by charles »

Have you been to the knowledge base entry for default browser at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_Your_Default_Browser ?
All TBird does is pass the link to the OS so it can be passed to the default browser.
fluteman

Post by fluteman »

charles wrote:Have you been to the knowledge base entry for default browser at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_Your_Default_Browser ?
All TBird does is pass the link to the OS so it can be passed to the default browser.

As they say "been there, done that" - Firefox is my default browser, Tbird is my default email client.
Like I said the problem only exist within Tbird - all other email clients work fine.
It's got to be something in the way that Tbird is set up on my system (XP registry, Tbird about:config, etc.) but it's got me completely baffled
frcan

Post by frcan »

Windows is sometimes stubborn about the default browser.

Exit Firefox completely, go to "Start Menu -> Run" and enter this into the text box:

Code: Select all

firefox.exe -silent -setDefaultBrowser
fluteman

Post by fluteman »

frcan wrote:Windows is sometimes stubborn about the default browser.

Exit Firefox completely, go to "Start Menu -> Run" and enter this into the text box:

Tried your suggestion, but I'm receiving an NSIS Error - Error launching installer.
But I do not have problems installing any other software and I have full admin rights
winds0r

Post by winds0r »

frcan wrote:Windows is sometimes stubborn about the default browser.

My Firefox browser check button also reported "default" but this fixed it for me, thanks. :)
frcan

Post by frcan »

charles wrote:Have you been to the knowledge base entry for default browser at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_Your_Default_Browser ?
@ winds0r - You're welcome. As Charles posted, it is normally the operating system that decides which program will open a link.

BTW, I copied my suggestion from the link above :wink:
bnichols23

Post by bnichols23 »

"HELP! None of the URL links in Thunderbird are working - I click on a link and nothing happens - no error message, NOTHING. Even if Firefox is open and I click on a link in a Thunderbird email, it does not go to the website"

Fluteman, by the grace of God & a helluva struggle, I found a *piece* of a solution, but you're not going to like it.

After a LOT of extremely time-consuming experimentation, I was *finally* able to make links open in FF again, but only if the browser was already up & running -- no help on the launch problem, I'm afraid. What was the cost to get links to open again? Oh, nothing. Just getting rid of ALL of the TB extensions, & I do mean _ALL_.

You could live with that without too much heartburn, right? [evil grin, while wiping sarcasm off keyboard]
booker1

Post by booker1 »

I had this problem too running Windows XP SP3 and Thunderbird - trying to switch from using Firefox to using Google Chrome instead.

Eventually got this working after installing the 'SetBrowser' program referred to here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_Your_ ... ty_utility

Seems to be working fine now :D . Be nice if there was a Thunderbird extension that could do the same.
bnichols23

Post by bnichols23 »

booker1 wrote:I had this problem too running Windows XP SP3 and Thunderbird - trying to switch from using Firefox to using Google Chrome instead.

Eventually got this working after installing the 'SetBrowser' program referred to here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_Your_ ... ty_utility

Seems to be working fine now :D . Be nice if there was a Thunderbird extension that could do the same.

In some cases forcing the browser default would resolve it, but there were enough cases where it didn't that it was apparently investigated & found to be a problem associated with profile manager. If 3.0.2 doesn't fix it it will probably have to wait till 3.1. In the meantime the workaround of launching FF first & then clicking the link seems to bypass the issue.

Bill
fluteman

Post by fluteman »

bnichols23 wrote:
In some cases forcing the browser default would resolve it, but there were enough cases where it didn't that it was apparently investigated & found to be a problem associated with profile manager. If 3.0.2 doesn't fix it it will probably have to wait till 3.1. In the meantime the workaround of launching FF first & then clicking the link seems to bypass the issue.

Bill

Hi Bill,
This issue still persists for me - I have tried all of the recommended solutions and still cannot resolve the problem - the strange part is that it only occurs with Thunderbird email client - I do not have the problem if I use another email client (i.e., Pegasus email). And the problem occurs whether Firefox is already running or is shut down. I have tried ALL of the recommended solutions and none of them have worked. Firefox is set as my default browser (I have FF v3.04) and Thunderbird v 2.14 is set as my default email client.

Any ideas?

Post by Guest »

Even the link to help does nothing, no hint error message nada
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

You are replying to an elderly thread (2008). Locking. Please start a new thread fully describing the problem.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."