Firefox Acid3 test builds

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
wgianopoulos

Firefox Acid3 test builds

Post by wgianopoulos »

I am making Firefox builds that include as yet unloaded patches for bugs that fix Acid3 related issues. These builds are available at http://www.wg9s.com/mozilla/firefox/ The purpose of making these available is to get some advance testing of these pending patches to make sure they have no unintended side-effects that cause unwanted regressions. I would request that people testing these builds, who find regressions between the current nightly build and the latest of my testing builds report those issues first in this thread rather than in any of the Acid3 bugs so that we can track down which specific modification causes the regression and try to develop a minimized testcase so that what is posted on the bug is more helpful to the developers.

These builds are available for Windows and Linux. They current get an Acid3 score of 93/100.
wgianopoulos

Re: Firefox Acid3 test builds

Post by wgianopoulos »

My builds for today score 94/100.
loadbang

Post by loadbang »

Sounds as if it is 100% compliant now. A number of the tests are not CSS3 compliant.
Tony-E

Post by Tony-E »

Are there any particular areas that need testing?
[:Aureliano Buendía]

Post by [:Aureliano Buendía] »

Ciao wgianopoulos. Excuse-me, buy why you dont submit your patches for bugs #42976, #174351, #216462, #302775, #433533 and #410569 directly on bugzilla? I read each items on bugzilla but I dont find your patches. I am wrong? Or you use another alias?
"The world was so recent that many things lacked names, and in order to indicate them it was necessary to point."
One Hundred Years Of Solitude
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

The patches I am using are the ones that others attached to those bugs. The second line of the description corresponds to the attachment name. I have not actually written any of these changes, I am merely making builds that contain them available for testing.
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

I just created new builds that include smaug's patch for bug 454325. New score is 95/100.

Edit: Of course we still also have that annoying red box with the X so really 6 things fail.
Last edited by wgianopoulos on September 17th, 2008, 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

Quarantine wrote:Are there any particular areas that need testing?

My original thought was just try using it as your regular browser and if you run into issues try the same days mozilla-central trunk build to see if it is a trunk regression or caused by one of the acid3 patches.

However, if you really have a lot of time to do more extensive testing, things I would think need more testing would be:

1. SVG. There are rather large SVG patches here that are probably not too thoroughly tested.

2. Extensions. It would be good to know if popular extensions are broken by any of this. I would particulary test adblock plus, tab mix plus and roboform. As those are extensions that have a history of using non-frozen interfaces that may have been changed by these patches.

3. Sites on the Alexa top 100 list for rendering regressions.

Edit:

4. And you could follow the links on my builds page to the bugzilla bugs relating to each patch and read through the comments. There are sometimes comments there from other developers about what things they think the patch might break. Those would be good to test as well.
steviex

Post by steviex »

I shall start baking the cake for when you reach 100 % ... Good work so far :)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

steviex wrote:I shall start baking the cake for when you reach 100 % ... Good work so far :)
The only tricky part I am doing is trying to figure out how to get all of these patches to apply correctly. So many of them modify the same area of code that they conflict with each other. The people who actually are developing the patches and Dave Baron, who seems to be driving the effort deserve most of the credit.
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

I just created new builds that include Mats' patch for bug 178258. New score is 96/100.

Of course we still also have that annoying red box with the X so really 5 things fail.
Jeroen.83

Post by Jeroen.83 »

wgianopoulos wrote:I just created new builds that include Mats' patch for bug 178258. New score is 96/100.

Of course we still also have that annoying red box with the X so really 5 things fail.

Doesn't the patch in bug 441473 work? I have a trybuild with font-face working (at Acid3 at least).
Mrtb

Post by Mrtb »

wgianopoulos wrote:I just created new builds that include Mats' patch for bug 178258. New score is 96/100.

I think you should add another patch on your unofficial build.
Bug 450160 (with patch) add another point to acid3.
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

Mrtb wrote:

I think you should add another patch on your unofficial build.
Bug 450160 (with patch) add another point to acid3.
Yes. Unfortunately I will not be able to do a build containing that patch until tomorrow morning.
supergirl260

Post by supergirl260 »

looks like we may get 100 in a few weeks tops if this keeps up