Get File Size Extension

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
f4lc0n

Post by f4lc0n »

Sometimes when the content type is octet-stream an open download dialog box is opened rather than folowing the link to the site. Happens at news.google.com .
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050226 Firefox/1.0.1 (stipe)
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

f4lc0n wrote:Sometimes when the content type is octet-stream an open download dialog box is opened rather than folowing the link to the site. Happens at news.google.com .

Maybe. Please post the exact url you found out. Thanks.
f4lc0n

Post by f4lc0n »

Torisugari wrote:
f4lc0n wrote:Sometimes when the content type is octet-stream an open download dialog box is opened rather than folowing the link to the site. Happens at news.google.com .

Maybe. Please post the exact url you found out. Thanks.

Go to http://www.neowin.net/ then on the left side, below the neowin logo are a bunch of forum links hove the link for a bit then click. I sometimes get the dialog box and sometimes not when clicking the same link.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050226 Firefox/1.0.1 (stipe)
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

andyed wrote:Would it be even better if it did it onHover of a link? And presented the results in a inpage popup?

That could be made like in AiO gestures' tooltip popup (right-click+scroll or press shift and move over), or just be integrated into AiO.
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

f4lc0n wrote:Go to http://www.neowin.net/ then on the left side, below the neowin logo are a bunch of forum links hove the link for a bit then click. I sometimes get the dialog box and sometimes not when clicking the same link.

Confirmed. It depends on bug 232385. Thanks anyway.
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

Sorry for bumping old thread.
I'm not the origianl poster here. I named the extension after thie topic title. While ago, I noticed that there's very the same name plugin for IE. It seems that sbc(OP) did know the plugin, but I didn't. My bad. Then I can't send this extension to update.mozilla.org. All extensions are thrid party applications, but those on update.mozilla.org are semi-official. And I don't mean to trouble u.m.o with these naming details.

So will anyone suggest a new name for this extension?

If you don't know match about this extension, please follow the link rather than read all the post ins this thread.
http://webdevel.blogspot.com/2004/03/ge ... azine.html

Thanks.
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

Get Document Size
Get File Properties
Get File Info

You could also change the first word to Show or Display like
Show File Size
etc.
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

Then which do you think the best?
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

I am leaning towards "File Info" with the possibility of adding an action suffix of "View". I believe this would be consistent with "Page Info". Though I haven't used the Get File Size extension from what I read this would be an appropriate name.
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

wig_out_on_me wrote:I am leaning towards "File Info" with the possibility of adding an action suffix of "View". I believe this would be consistent with "Page Info". Though I haven't used the Get File Size extension from what I read this would be an appropriate name.

Hmm, this extensin extends "Link Properties" in "Element Properties" dialog, though it looks like Page Info dialog...
jedbro

Post by jedbro »

I vote for "Show File Size" :)
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

I leaned towards File Info since it does more than just provide the file size which also lends itself towards adding additional properties if you ever extend the extension. If you see the main function as providing file size without extending functionality in the future then I would go with Show File Size or View File Size.
sbc

Post by sbc »

Maybe Extended Link Properties? File Info or Target (Link) Info may be good choices as well, as it is the information of the target link that you are getting.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

Could someone tell me please where I can get this for 1.0PR? I've tried 3 or 4 versions of this so far and none work. They "install", but the extension is not listed in the extensions list. Another version I tried said it wouldn't work with 1.0PR. I'm desperately hoping this will give the right click an image and get it's dimensions and file size like IE does.
Thanks.
God Bless,
-Clint
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

Clint1 wrote:Could someone tell me please where I can get this for 1.0PR? I've tried 3 or 4 versions of this so far and none work. They "install", but the extension is not listed in the extensions list. Another version I tried said it wouldn't work with 1.0PR. I'm desperately hoping this will give the right click an image and get it's dimensions and file size like IE does.
Thanks.
You can right click the image and select properties to get the dimensions and file size for images as long as they aren't background images... IE is also not able to get this info for background images.

*edited to add* You can also select View background image to view it in a new tab / window to get this info in the same manner afterwards for background images
Last edited by Robert S. on October 17th, 2004, 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.