can't open links and attachments in Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
roc123

can't open links and attachments in Thunderbird

Post by roc123 »

i am unable to open links and/or attachments in my emails. i've looked through options and account settings for something to change, but haven't found anything. can anybody help out?
DanRaisch

Re: can't open links and attachments in Thunderbird

Post by DanRaisch »

* Which version of Thunderbird? Check Help>About for the version number.
* What operating system?
* What is the exact wording of the error message you are receiving?
* Do you have any extensions installed?
* What kind of mail - POP, IMAP?
* Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which ones?
* Do you regularly compact your folders? Weekly or more often is strongly recommended. Check http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders for more information on compacting folders.
* Without divulging your e-mail address or account name, what are your server settings, including server name and port number for:
+ Tools>Account Settings>*account*>Server Settings?
+ Tools>Account Settings>Outgoing Server (SMTP) (at the bottom of the list of accounts on the left)>*server*>Edit?
* Any recent changes in your computer or software configuration that might be relevant?
(including OS or Thunderbird updates, adding extensions or themes, etc. and any security program updates)
roc123

Post by roc123 »

On Windows XP system, I have Firefox 3.0.1 and Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 installed. I do not believe I any extensions installed at this time. I have a POP Mail Server from an ISP. From Account Settings I have:

Server Name: pop-server.carolina.rr.com
Port #: 110
Outgoing Server: smtp-server.carolina.rr.com

When trying to open an attachment....I right click to "Open", let's say, a .odt document named "Letter", a "Download Error" window pops up with the following: "C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER\LOCALS~1\Temp\Letter.odt could not be opened, because an unknown error occurred. Try saving to disk first and then opening the file." It does appear that the "Download" window flashes briefly on the screen. Now when I try to open an attachment type that exists under Options, Attachments, Download Actions, View & Edit Actions, Extensions (i.e only PDF and WMV exist here), the "Download" window opens and remains open to show that my download had "Failed".

Additionally, I am unable to open any link in an email opened with Thunderbird. I can right click the link and "Copy Link Location"; however, when I manually open Firefox and try to paste the link, "Paste" is not highlighted as an option.

Recently I reinstalled my OS and changed to McAfee Total Protection with SiteAdvisor Plus; however, I am using Comodo as my firewall. I've used Thunderbird for years with ZERO issues when I used Symantec antivirus and ZoneAlarm as my firewall.

As for Thunderbird updates, for approximately a month I was prompted that updates were available for Thunderbird. However, each time I would get to the install mode an error would occur and installation would stop.

As far as compacting folders...I had not in the past, but just compacted prior to my reply.

Not sure if this is relevant, by right now Firefox 3.0.1 will not open. I just updated to 3.0.1 a day or two ago and I'm in the middle of trying to solve that issue as well. The Thunderbird issues existed prior to updating Firefox.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

1. Clear the Windows Temp directory.

2. When you click on a link in Thunderbird it sends a call to the operating system to launch the default browser. When the OS does not "remember" what application is to be the default, nothing happens, just as you have seen. See this link to set the default browser -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_Your_Default_Browser
roc123

Post by roc123 »

Excellent!!! Clearing the Windows Temp directory did the trick!!! Thanks for your help. What may have been in the Windows Temp directory to cause the problem? And should I clear it periodically?

Thanks again!!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There is no way to know if any one thing in the Temp directory was the cause. It is more likely a matter of volume and, possibly, some file corruption which made Windows fail when trying to read and write to that folder. It doesn't hurt to clear that directory periodically and may be helpful in avoiding problems of the sort you experienced.
roc123

Post by roc123 »

10-4...Again, thanks for your help.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're quite welcome.

Post by Guest »

Hello!

Same problem with attachments as Roc 123, unfortunatelly temp cleaning was not enough for me. The problem came after a thunderbird upgrade some versions ago.
Thunderbird 2.0.0.14
Windows XP
"E:\\Doc..\...\...\Temp\filename.pdf could not be opened because an unknown error occurred"
No extension installed
POP

Both ISP and web-based
Comodo and Antivir Guard
Folders compacted
pop.gmail.com por 995

Thank you

Maria
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Is the problem only with that one file or is it with any PDF attachment, or with any attachment of any format?

Post by Guest »

The problem is with any attachment of any format.

Maria
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If you save the attachments to the hard drive before opening can you then double click on the saved file and open it?
Also see this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Actions_for_a ... file_types

Post by Guest »

DanRaisch wrote:If you save the attachments to the hard drive before opening can you then double click on the saved file and open it?
Also see this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Actions_for_a ... file_types

Of course, that's what I'm doing since the problem's pop up some tb update ago.

Would you suggest the OpenAttachmentByExtension add on?

Maria
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No harm in trying that extension.

Post by Guest »

"OpenAttachmentByExtension" will not be installed because it does not provide secure updates.

Thank you, Dan, for your time and attention.

Maria