Firefox Acid3 test builds

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
jandem

Re: Firefox Acid3 test builds

Post by jandem »

You may also want to add the patch for bug 450160
edit: oops, sorry the bug was reported already :)

After this the only failing tests are #77, #78 and #79... The patch here may help, but i am not sure and it's old so it may not apply cleanly..
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

Jeroen.83 wrote:
wgianopoulos wrote:I just created new builds that include Mats' patch for bug 178258. New score is 96/100.

Of course we still also have that annoying red box with the X so really 5 things fail.

Doesn't the patch in bug 441473 work? I have a trybuild with font-face working (at Acid3 at least).
No, just the patch had merge conflicts with the SMIL patch and I did not have time to sort it out. I thought 2 more points was better than no X in the corner. Anyway I sorted it out today and I should have builds out soon that do 97/100 without the X in the corner.
:)
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

New windows builds with 97/100 and no annoying X in the upper right.

The Linux builds also do 97/100 but still have the annoying X. The current patch on bug 441473 does not seem to work correctly under Linux.
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

jandem wrote:After this the only failing tests are #77, #78 and #79... The patch here may help, but i am not sure and it's old so it may not apply cleanly..

II tried updating that patch to the current trunk, but unfortunately the SVG textrun code has been almost completely rewritten and I just could not quite figure out how to get it working.

Also, it was characterized as prrof-of-concept code, so I am not sure how check-in ready it was to begin with.
supergirl260

Post by supergirl260 »

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=450160

has been fixed i think it blocks acid 3
the_dees

Post by the_dees »

There seems to be a chance that we'll fall back by one point.

Bug 454226 will break test 46, but since that makes the implementation more compatible to the current spec, we can expect another erratum for Acid 3 as well.

On the other hand, I never thought, 97 would be possible for the next major release. Of course not every patch is included yet, but they're making great progress.
Thank you. Have a nice day.
Dorus

Post by Dorus »

What is the current status of firefo acid 3 support? I read in the build topic that the latest nightly are better at acid 3 again, as well as the acid track bug shows around 14 depending bugs left. Anybody got a estimation how long it will take to fix those 14 bugs? (I.e., are they almost fixed, or to damn complicated?)
the_dees

Post by the_dees »

@Dorus:
Nightly's Acid3 Status is 89 Points without pixel perfect rendering. Smoothness is also not yet given.

As stated in this thread, there are patches for 8 more points as well as the remaining patch for pixel perfect rendering (except favicon).

Favicon and the SVG fonts related tests won't get fixed for Firefox3.1/Gecko1.9.1 so the release will be at 97 points and pixel perfect page rendering. At best that is, it's not sure that every patch will make it in. I'm also unsure about the smoothness problems.

Take a look at the spreadsheet and vote or CC yourself to the Acid3 tracking bug and you'll get every information from the first hand.
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

the_dees wrote:@Dorus:
Nightly's Acid3 Status is 89 Points without pixel perfect rendering. Smoothness is also not yet given.

As stated in this thread, there are patches for 8 more points as well as the remaining patch for pixel perfect rendering (except favicon).

Favicon and the SVG fonts related tests won't get fixed for Firefox3.1/Gecko1.9.1 so the release will be at 97 points and pixel perfect page rendering. At best that is, it's not sure that every patch will make it in. I'm also unsure about the smoothness problems.

Actually, I would be very surprised if Firefox 3.1 is built with smil enabled at this point. My sense of the issue is that if that were the only remaining acid3 issue then it would make Firefox 3.1. If not it would probably not, The issue of trying to get smil (an SVG issue) landed for 3.1 is not helped at all by the fact that the SVG developers are completely ignoring the other 3 points missing for which we have no pending patches to fix, all of which are SVG issues. So, at the current time my best estimate for Firefox 3.1 is that it will get 95/100 and Linux will still have the in the upper right corner because of @font-face not working in Linux. That is the most I am expecting. I would really not be surprised at all if not all of the pending patches actually make it into Firefox 3.1, and the result is actually lower than 95/100.
the_dees

Post by the_dees »

wgianopoulos wrote:Actually, I would be very surprised if Firefox 3.1 is built with smil enabled at this point. My sense of the issue is that if that were the only remaining acid3 issue then it would make Firefox 3.1. If not it would probably not, The issue of trying to get smil (an SVG issue) landed for 3.1 is not helped at all by the fact that the SVG developers are completely ignoring the other 3 points missing for which we have no pending patches to fix, all of which are SVG issues. So, at the current time my best estimate for Firefox 3.1 is that it will get 95/100 and Linux will still have the in the upper right corner because of @font-face not working in Linux. That is the most I am expecting. I would really not be surprised at all if not all of the pending patches actually make it into Firefox 3.1, and the result is actually lower than 95/100.

I don't think the dev's will implement @font-face for just one or two platforms. Completely or not at all is more likely.

About SMIL, I think I need to understand that wanted/landing something does not automatically mean it'll be available.

As I said, I also doubt that 97 will be the score in Fx 3.1 but I don't really care about that number. At least our implementations are of high quality.
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

the_dees wrote:
wgianopoulos wrote:Actually, I would be very surprised if Firefox 3.1 is built with smil enabled at this point. My sense of the issue is that if that were the only remaining acid3 issue then it would make Firefox 3.1. If not it would probably not, The issue of trying to get smil (an SVG issue) landed for 3.1 is not helped at all by the fact that the SVG developers are completely ignoring the other 3 points missing for which we have no pending patches to fix, all of which are SVG issues. So, at the current time my best estimate for Firefox 3.1 is that it will get 95/100 and Linux will still have the in the upper right corner because of @font-face not working in Linux. That is the most I am expecting. I would really not be surprised at all if not all of the pending patches actually make it into Firefox 3.1, and the result is actually lower than 95/100.

I don't think the dev's will implement @font-face for just one or two platforms. Completely or not at all is more likely.

Actually if the code that makes it work for Macs and Windows at least for TTF file does not land then then it will probably never be implemented for anything. IMHO, It is far more likely that this will land than the SMAIL code will land.

About SMIL, I think I need to understand that wanted/landing something does not automatically mean it'll be available.

My opinion is that there would be zero chance of SMIL being included in Firefox 3.1 had it not been included in the Acid3 test. So, the only chance it would have of getting included into Firefox 3.1 would be if including it would bring Firefox to 100/100. As there are 3 other SVG bugs with no patches attached that prevent that from happening, the SVG people would have more of a chance of getting SMIL landed if they got the other 3 points first. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Last edited by wgianopoulos on October 1st, 2008, 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

wgianopoulos wrote:
the_dees wrote:

Actually if the code that makes it work for Macs and Windows at least for TTF file does not land then then it will probably never be implemented for anything. IMHO, It is far more likely that this will land than the SMAIL code will land.

My opinion is that there would be zero chance of SMIL being included in Firefox 3.1 had it not been included in the Acid3 test. So, the only chance it would have of getting included into Firefox 3.1 would be if including it would bring Firefox to 100/100. As there are 3 other SVG bugs with no patches attached that prevent that from happening, the SVG people would have more of a chance of getting SMIL landed if they got the other 3 points first. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Last edited by wgianopoulos on October 1st, 2008, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

the_dees wrote:I don't think the dev's will implement @font-face for just one or two platforms. Completely or not at all is more likely.

From the platform meeting yesterday, it sounded like @font-face was ready to land with Mac/Win support only, with someone continuing to work on Linux support. The goal would be to get it enabled for all three platforms by the release of 3.1. It's definitely not ideal, but it's either that or dropping it for 3.1 completely.
the_dees

Post by the_dees »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:From the platform meeting yesterday, it sounded like @font-face was ready to land with Mac/Win support only, with someone continuing to work on Linux support. The goal would be to get it enabled for all three platforms by the release of 3.1. It's definitely not ideal, but it's either that or dropping it for 3.1 completely.

I see. Well, I'll cross my fingers :)

Oh, and it looks like SMIL was postponed to Firefox 3.2 ..
ain

Post by ain »