Can't find info on Places.sqlite-journal

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
phkhgh

Can't find info on Places.sqlite-journal

Post by phkhgh »

Searched a lot & found very little on function or content of this file.

The KB http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
just has a ? in description column for it.

The file seems to be growing. Can it be deleted periodically?

Thanks.
Roy66uk

Re: Can't find info on Places.sqlite-journal

Post by Roy66uk »

Why would you want to delete it? places.sqlite is your bookmarks and browsing history file and clearly the journal file is associated with it. Unless something is not performing correctly in your browser it is just not advisable to delete profile folder files except when required to do so.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

places.sqlite-journal - The file seems to be growing.

I can't find any info about that file thru a Google search, going thru the first 10 pages of results. I don't recall ever seeing that file until the latest stages of Beta development when they where working on getting the Firefox 3 shut-down time sped up.
Watch that Profile with Firefox both closed and open and then when you close it, I think you'll find that file is present only when Firefox is actually running. My thoughts might be all bass-ackward, but I think that file is a temporary transactional database that is used when Firefox is open, and when you close Firefox that data in that file is written to other sqlite database files.The ultimate size of that file is probably dependent upon how long Firefox is running.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Roy66uk

Post by Roy66uk »

I just looked in my profiles - what the-edmeister says seems to hold true for my Nightly Build (Minefield) profile, ie ' ....journal' is not visible when it is shut. But in my two profiles for 3.0.1 the places.sqlite-journal files are still there when 3.0.1 is not an active process. But they are very small 61 and 81kb.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

I just inspected all 23 Profiles that I have that have been run in Firefox 3 and I found 5 Profiles (that haven't been used much or used recently) that still have the places.sqlite-journal in the non-running Profile, 3 are 0kb files and the other two have 45kb and 53kb - I am at a loss for why those files would remain in the Profile folder.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
cjvfjvf

Post by cjvfjvf »

My McAfee virus scan poppped up stating this file was a trojan. i really don't know anything about computers but i know a trojan is supposed to be bad.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

McAfee is probably reporting a false positive.

Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

In database applications, a journal is typically a temporary store of database updates. It's part of a mechanism to ensure resilience in the event of a crash or something else that causes the updates to terminate without finishing.

I have no idea if that is what this is, but I think it's likely.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
Snake_Doc

Post by Snake_Doc »

THE ANSWER!!!! i really dont know what this file is but i can say for a fact when it appeared on my pc. i recieved a message on steam form some random guy, looked dodgy but i went with it, poped up some uncloseable page with loud music and the page moved around on my screen. To make a long story short it OWNED me. Then i ran a clamwin scan and the file appeared in the scan as unreadable, some say its the book marks, well when i got this "virus" the icons in firefox under my book marks were no longer there. Put 2 and 2 toghter, and you have an unreadable file that modified my firefox with out my consent = virus. how to remove it ??? thats another question
Snake_Doc

Post by Snake_Doc »

Snake_Doc wrote:THE ANSWER!!!! i really dont know what this file is but i can say for a fact when it appeared on my pc. i recieved a message on steam form some random guy, looked dodgy but i went with it, poped up some uncloseable page with loud music and the page moved around on my screen. To make a long story short it OWNED me. Then i ran a clamwin scan and the file appeared in the scan as unreadable, some say its the book marks, well when i got this "virus" the icons in firefox under my book marks were no longer there. Put 2 and 2 toghter, and you have an unreadable file that modified my firefox with out my consent = virus. how to remove it ??? thats another question

I WAS WRONG! its just unreadable because firefox was running during my exe of clamwin!! Sorry.
t1470258

Post by t1470258 »

This maybe different in Firefox, yet take a look at:

http://www.sqlite.org/tempfiles.html ...
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

You are replying to an elderly thread (2005). Locking. I suspect that the problem has either been solved or forgotten by now.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."