Firefox crashes during Google search due to XPL LinkSaver

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
pdgreen

Firefox crashes during Google search due to XPL LinkSaver

Post by pdgreen »

I started having problems with Firefox 2.0.0.11 crashing when I tried to use Google search. Reinstalling Firefox didn't help.

I finally started Firefox in safe mode (Run>Firefox -safe-mode) and disabled all extensions, and then started normally and enabled them a couple at a time from the Tools>Add-ons menu until I narrowed it down to the XPL LinkScanner Firefox 2.6 extension.

This particular add-on seems not to be completely compatible.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That is not an extension from Firefox or Mozilla but from a third party, Exploit Prevention Labs. ( http://www.explabs.com/products/ ) You should report any compatibility problems to them.
Hoody Anderson

Re: Firefox crashes during Google search due to XPL LinkSaver

Post by Hoody Anderson »

I'm still looking for a fix for this problem. I want to use Google Desktop. Today I downloaded both the latest Firefox 3.0.3 and Google Desktop. No help. Same problem. GD offers 4 or 6 search results with the option to see the remainder in a browser window. Clicking on this choice causes Firefox to crash. Ihave no extensions, add ons or anything else but the simplest system.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Hoody Anderson, please start a new topic. Your problem has nothing to do with what was reported by pdgreen. You are talking about a different third party component, and it is possible that it is that element which is the cause of the crashing.
jp47

Post by jp47 »

I agree - XPL Linkscanner was the issue for me too. Wish I had found this info first! I did all sorts of clean-ups, defrag, etc., etc. - uninstalled & reinstalled FF3.0.4 - still kept crashing every time I did a search in Google or Yahoo.

I disabled XPL Linkscanner & that fixed the problem.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

See also Problematic extensions (MozillaZine KB) (list is not complete)

Post by Guest »

Thank you so much for this info. I removed so many extensions, then got rid of this xpl Linkscanner and Google worked again without crashing. Now if there were more of the Firefox extensions in Opera I might switch, but now that I fixed it I'll just use it when Firefox can't do something.

Thankls again,
ChiJoan in Reno
John Graetz

Post by John Graetz »

I have suffered from this problem on and off for a long time. At different times the problem would go away, possibly after a big upgrade, but sometime later would come back. Because it was annoying me after happening on a new computer, I went looking for a fix by having to resort to a google search using Internet Explorer. I came across this page, disabled XPL LinkScanner, and fixed the problem. Now I will be able to use Firefox for everything once again. Thanks for the tip.