Cannot set Firefox to remain as default browser

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
madmudmob

Cannot set Firefox to remain as default browser

Post by madmudmob »

I have been using this to try and persuade Firefox to remain my default browser:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_brows ... r_manually

Despite setting it as default in the Tools and in the Set Program Access and Defaults sections, each time I start my computer I am asked if I would like to make Firefox my default browser.

So, I tried the next section from the above link but the following:
URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP protocol)
URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy (HTTPS protocol)
URL:File Transfer Protocol {FTP protocol)
each tell me the MyHTMLFile = "specified program cannot be found. Make sure the file name and path are correct"
but I do see each has Firefox set as application once I click on Advanced then Edit wheras:
HTML File
HTM File
has Firefox as Open With on their first pages (the other four have this greyed out)

Can any kind person help me sort this so that Firefox will remain my default browser Please?

(Should add, I have checked that IE is not set as the default browser and it isn't)
Mud is good!
DanRaisch

Re: Cannot set Firefox to remain as default browser

Post by DanRaisch »

Setting Firefox as the default browser involves convincing Windows to accept that setting. If the setting does not "stick" the issue is with Windows. Did you try the third party utility shown in this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_Your_Default_Browser
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

Thanks for replying.
I had tried them before and have tried them again but no joy .... I still get the notice asking me to choose Firefox as my default whenever I restart my computer
Mud is good!
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

Polite bump hoping someone can help me sort this nuisance please?
Mud is good!
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Try loading Internet Explorer and setting it as the default. Then exit and reset back to Firefox via the process you tried before.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

Thankyou, have done as you suggested but still no change.

Guess Ill have to learn to live with it as I'm not going to give up the very marvellous Firefox just because my computer nags me to use oh-so-slow IE
Mud is good!
FatJohn

Post by FatJohn »

Don't give up! Fight the silicon monstrosity! Show it who's the boss!
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

lol ... I would if I could and I appreciate this is a minor problem but it is well beyond 'ickle me at the mo
Mud is good!
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

madmudmob wrote:lol ... I would if I could and I appreciate this is a minor problem but it is well beyond 'ickle me at the mo

Just use this - http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/setbrowser/ You will have to manually navigate to firefox.exe, but apart from that, you will be good to go (in the old days, it would auto detect).

With this, even using of Outlook Express can get their links to open in FF. Very quick to do, as well. :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

You probably have another browser (IE?) that is set so it checks whether IT is the default browser, every time it runs. Check your IE settings again.
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

Thankyou, Frank Lion, I have that installed and it tells me Firefox.exe is my default.

Thanks also, VanillaMozilla, went in to IE Tools, Options and unticked the box so that IE won't check it is default ...... still the same *groan*
Mud is good!
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

Well, I found a way to stop the nag screen on Start Up by unticking the always check Firefox is the default browser box in Firefox Tools.
Tried a restart and no screen asking me if I want to make Firefox default and Firefox opens to my homepage when I click the desktop icon.
All well and good so thought I'd click check now in Tools options and was told Firefox isn't my default, did I wish to make it so.

I did and then tried check now again only to be told again that Firefox isn't my default did I want to make it so .... repeated the whole thing three times but still the same result.

My question then folks is - is it okay to leave that always check Firefox is the default browser box empty as Firefox seems to behaving perfectly with it left blank?
Mud is good!
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

It's possible that you have modified Firefox with a theme or extension, and messed it up so it isn't doing this properly. Start in Firefox safe mode (which disables themes and extensions), and if that doesn't solve the problem, test it with a new profile.
FatJohn

Post by FatJohn »

Of course you can leave the tick boxie empty. However, what happens when you double click a .html file? (your default browser will be evoked)
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

oooh errr, sorry but I've not a clue what a html file is?
Mud is good!