No sessionstore.bak found to retrieve lost session

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
baby astronaut

No sessionstore.bak found to retrieve lost session

Post by baby astronaut »

The session restore was interrupted by a firefox update after a power outage (not sure how, as I had specifically avoided auto download and install of updates, and instead had "ask me what I want to do")

Everywhere I look, peope's solution to find an old session is to locate a file named sessionstore.bak. However, there is no such file and I have "show hidden files and folders" checked.

I'd like to rescue that session. The lost web pages aren't even in the history bar, which is strange because I've restored last sessions a few times last week.

Please help!
steviex

Re: No sessionstore.bak found to retrieve lost session

Post by steviex »

OK... sessionstore.bak is located in your Profile Folder... Make sure you have been looking in the right place...

Read this for how to find your profile folder... http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folde ... ile_folder
In Windows ... this Folder may be hidden .....
To show hidden folders, open Windows Explorer and choose Organize → Folder and Search Options → Folder Options → View (tab) → Show hidden files and folders.
Also this Extension may help to locate it quickly https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/545
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
baby astronaut

Post by baby astronaut »

First thing I did before was opened Profile folder through Run ---> %APPDATA% ---> Mozilla ---> etc

There was sessionstore.js and sessionstore-1.js.

But no sessionstore.bak. And yes, I can see hidden files and folders. Trust me, I had followed all instructions to the tee.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

The file sessionstore.bak is created if you launch Firefox after a crash has occurred. It is a copy of the current sessionstore.js that gets lost otherwise if you restart Firefox. If Firefox has crashed then sessionstore.js ends with session:{state:"running"} and that triggers the creation of sessionstore.bak.
There should not be a file sessionstore-1.js. Such multiple files are only created if Firefox doesn't have access to the main sessionstore.js. You can check the date of sessionstore-1.js to see when that happened.
baby astronaut

Post by baby astronaut »

(the sessionstore-1.js happened almost a year ago it seems)

Is there any way I'm getting the session back?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Not if you have restarted Firefox after that crash and the last sessionstore.js was replaced with a new version.
A crash also clears the cache and maybe the history on Firefox 2, so you do not have that fall back either.
baby astronaut

Post by baby astronaut »

Thanks anyway.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You're welcome
JLH3

Post by JLH3 »

I'm wondering if all I have to do is rename sessionstore.bak by calling it sessionstore.js. Then presumably I can reload my lost tabs, correct?

If anyone can help, that would really be great. I don't have to edit the sessionstore.bak file, do I?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

If sessionstore.bak has that (lost) session then renaming a copy of that file to sessionstore.js should make Firefox restore that session.

You will have to set the startup setting to restore the session.
Tools > Options > General > Startup: "When Firefox Starts": "Show my windows and tabs from last time"
Paloseco

Post by Paloseco »

If windows did a hard drive check when booting look for files in c:\found.000\ with extension chk