How to make a list inside a list

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
HMunn

How to make a list inside a list

Post by HMunn »

How do I put a list of email addresses inside another list?

I have a list of my wife's email correspondents, called "wife's addresses"
I have another list of my email correspondents called "husband's addresses"
I would like to make a list called "our addresses" and drag "wife's addresses" and "husband's addresses" into it without having to select the individual email cards in each list.
This way, if my wife changes one of her addresses, that new address will automatically be in the "our addresses" list.
I have tried creating a new blank list called "our addresses" and dragging the other lists inside it, but that doesn't work.

How can I do this?

TB 3.0a3 Windows XP

Thanks,

Harold
DanRaisch

Re: How to make a list inside a list

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Builds where support is provided for pre-release versions.
colwyn

Post by colwyn »

But why is it moved? is it something we can expect in a future build?
I have my own little world - that's ok they know me here
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I don't know about future versions but the post was moved because the OP is using Thunderbird 3.0a3 which is a pre-release build.
HMunn

Post by HMunn »

I have exactly the same problem on my work computer which uses TB 2.0.0.17 - I don't think the issue has anything to do with it being a pre-release.

Does anyone know how to solve the problem of a list inside a list?

Should re-post my question in general inquiries and use TB 2.0.0.17?

Thanks,

Harold
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

I don't believe it can be done.
At least, there is no easy (AND EVIDENT) way to do it, and I m not a programmer. so I can't go into the core and see it can be modified, nor can I write an extension to do it.
I have tried numerous times to create a list <inside an existing list>, outside of it and move it there, and several other variations, with no luck to date.

But, from what you are describing in your original post, you need to look into making 'address books' instead of lists. I'm not sure that will do what you want either, but address books are easier to work with, so you may have a chance.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
HMunn

Post by HMunn »

Thanks for the suggestion, couldabeen, and for assuring me I hadn't missed something obvious. IMHO it seems a function that would be widely needed, odd that it hasn't been implemented.

Can you describe how address books are easier to work with than lists?

Thanks.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

HMunn, I moved the topic because you reported you were using a pre-release version. If there is any new functionality in the pre-release that would support your request, someone familiar with the beta would see it here and could comment.

Couldabeen is correct in stating that Thunderbird does not support nested mailing lists. The problem being that mailing lists do not exist as a separate structure. They are merely sub-sets of the data in the parent address book. Without an additional data element in the address book database to identify mailing list C as a child of list B (which is in turn a child of address book A) it is not possible to build a list within a list. And, since the address book database uses a very arcane format (mork) and will likely be replaced in future versions, there is not much likelihood that a change to permit nested lists will appear in the near term.
HMunn

Post by HMunn »

Thanks, DanRaisch.
Are you aware of any workarounds for this issue?

Thanks.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Other than trying to use multiple address books to act as the "outer" list, no. That may have been what couldabeen had in mind -- create a separate address book to be the outer list and then create lists within that address book. So, for example, you might create an address book for "Work" and then within it have "Personnel", "Accounting", "Purchasing", etc. Create another book for "Organizations" and within that create lists for "Bridge", "Garden", "Softball", etc.
HMunn

Post by HMunn »

Thanks. Am I correct that it is not possible to select multiple lists simultaneously within an address book? Using your example, if I want to send an email to everyone in "Work" I have to type the name of each list separately on the "To:" line of the new email. I can't find a way to type "Work" and have the email go to all the addresses inside "Work". Have I missed something?

Thanks.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Well, sort of. You can send to everyone in an address book but not by typing the address book name on the To: line. Instead:

You'll probably want to install* this extension first -- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/754

Next, open a composition window and press F4 (or use menu path View->Contact Sidebar). You should see three buttons at the bottom of the sidebar (left hand pane): "Add to To:", "Add to CC:", and "Add to BCC:".

Next, in that same sidebar, use the drop down list at the top to select the address book you want to use.
Click on first contact that is displayed from that book, then scroll down to view and click on the last name in that address book.
Click on the appropriate button at the bottom of the sidebar, depending on whether you want to send the message to those recipients as a To:, CC:, or BCC:. The addresses should be sent to the address entry box in the compose window.

That should do it.

*To install a Thunderbird extension do the following:
Right click the download link on the extension's home page and choose "Save Link As...". Then, in Thunderbird, go to Tools->Addons->Extensions tab->click on the "Install" button. Navigate to the just downloaded .xpi file and select it. Click on the "Open" button. The installation will now begin. You will need to close and reopen Thunderbird to complete the install.
HMunn

Post by HMunn »

The extension works really well - thanks for that. It's a good-enough work-around for the short term, but I hope nested lists will appear sometime in the future. Or an extension for that purpose.

Thanks for all your help with this.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.

An extension is very unlikely (impossible?) as the problem is not with Thunderbird itself but with the format of the address book as I posted above. For an extension to work it would have to provide new address book databases along with the new function or it would have to be implemented AFTER a future version incorporates a new, and extensible, address book file format.
HMunn

Post by HMunn »

I think I understand now.

Nice dog!

Harold