Cannot view web pages with firefox 3

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Cannot view web pages with firefox 3

Post by Guest »

hello everyone

I am here to try to find some help with an issue i am having with firefox. when i go to a web page it will com up with an error of "page load error" or "address not found". I am using firefox on Windows xp SP2.

It was working before but somehow somthing happened that made it not view any wesites at all. I have tried updating it. disabling all firewalls. went threw the knowlegebase article on this and still no sucess. One other thing is that Internet explorer 7appears to be running fine. tried deleting profile folder in app data and delete all registry keys and tried reinstalling but nothing

anyone able to offer any insight will be appreciated
the-edmeister

Re: Cannot view web pages with firefox 3

Post by the-edmeister »

The top 12 ways to get fooled by Firewalls:
viewtopic.php?p=2295421#p2295421

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

Post by Guest »

checked and no firewalls are disabled. computer has Kaspersky internet security 7.0 installed and have closed program and ended its services and not showing in task manager. ended windows firewall service in control panel. attempted to create new profile and going into firefox safe mode but no go after all of this. i seem to be able to go to anything via IP address but when using any web address i get address not found or page load error. this is now a fresh install of firefox latest version with no add-ons or themes enabled or installed
mickk

Post by mickk »

correction all firewalls are disabled now. sorry
SK.

Post by SK. »

If you can access Web pages by IP address, but not name, that is a problem with your ISP's DNS server. Have you contacted your ISP about this?
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can also check the HOSTS file: Hosts file (wiki)
See also Error_loading_websites

Post by Guest »

SK wrote:If you can access Web pages by IP address, but not name, that is a problem with your ISP's DNS server. Have you contacted your ISP about this?

i have no problems with DNS as i am able to view any webpage i goto with IE7 as stated in my first post
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Guest wrote:Internet explorer 7

The problem is almost certainly Kaspersky. Kaspersky can disable DNS on an application-specific basis (e.g., Firefox only). Kaspersky can also run if you think you have disabled it. And you just proved that DNS is blocked for Firefox but not IE. That is exactly what Kaspersky does.

Search the Knowledge Base for
problem loading Websites ,
and it should lead you to Kaspersky.
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on October 8th, 2008, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

checked the hosts file and there is nothing add in it or anything i see preventing firefox from accessing web pages. i also tried forwarding port 80 on my router to the computers IP adress but no go.

Post by Guest »

tried installing another web browser and it works so i have 2 web browsers on the PC that can browse web pages and firefox can't view any. i also tried for the heck of it to reset ip and winsock on windows XP but no go. also i don't know if i mentioned it but i did scan for spyware using spybot and it was able to find and remove alot of it. i reset winsock and tcp/ip after the scanning and removing spyware
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Guest, please read my post. You're going in the wrong direction, and you might mess something else up.

I gave you the wrong search hints, though. Look here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls#Kaspersky_firewall .

Post by Guest »

I disabled Kaspersky internet security serice in services.msc. went into connection properties and unckedcked Kaspersky anti-virus NDIS filter. gone into task manager and no Kaspersky processes are there anymore. still getting nothing from firefox
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Guest wrote:I disabled Kaspersky internet security serice in services.msc. went into connection properties and unckedcked Kaspersky anti-virus NDIS filter. gone into task manager and no Kaspersky processes are there anymore. still getting nothing from firefox

As far as I can tell, NDIS has nothing to do with DNS, except that some of the letters are the same.

Disabling a firewall is often not the right way to proceed, and a lot of people get fooled. There is usually more than one process running. You disable one, but you miss the one that does the heavy lifting. I don't know know about Kaspersky specifically, but I wouldn't be so sure you have disabled it. If you want, you can use EnumProcess to check. You can find it here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls .

A better way may be just to work through the Kaspersky menus, at least as a start. I suggest that you go back, undo all your changes, and see what one of our moderators has to say about it here: http://noise.loud.googlepages.com/home .

Do you use Kaspersky Internet Security?

Version 7.0 +
See the KB http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls#Kaspersky_firewall
Version at least 6.0:
Click on settings
Click on anti hacker
Enable the firewall (if it isn't already)
Click on Firewall settings
On the apps list, double click on Firefox
On the first item, DNS Service, change to Allow
Change HTTP and HTTPS to Allow.
Change Localhost Activity to Allow

Save these rules and you should be able to connect. They might be other items to allow to make things work properly.

NOTE: Kaspersky is having a problem with DNS. See http://tinyurl.com/37kdgm for more information.

If you still have trouble, then try the Kaspersky forum. If that still doesn't work, there are a couple of long shots.
1. Using a proxy?
2. Create a new profile for testing. This will temporarily reset ALL Firefox defaults and dump all cached information.