[Ext] Download Manager Tweak extension

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
dianoga7

Post by dianoga7 »

Is it possible to add multi-threaded downloads? Something similar to what many third party download managers do to speed up downloads?
><{{{|'>~Dianoga
http://3dgo.net
kapitain_nemo

Post by kapitain_nemo »

that would be great!!!
Micket

Post by Micket »

Yes i agree. also something i'd like to have is an option to add an url to download.
f4lc0n

Post by f4lc0n »

dianoga7 wrote:Is it possible to add multi-threaded downloads? Something similar to what many third party download managers do to speed up downloads?
I dont think andman42 is going to do this, the extension is a frontend for the dl manager not a replacement for it, I also doubt that it is possible to effiently achive a multi-threaded download manager as an extension. I also doubt this will ever be put in mozilla or firefox since it will be classified as bloat.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050226 Firefox/1.0.1 (stipe)
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

fluid

Post by fluid »

No updates?
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008071419 Firefox/3.0.1 (Mac Community Build, ElFurbe)
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

f4lc0n wrote:
dianoga7 wrote:Is it possible to add multi-threaded downloads? Something similar to what many third party download managers do to speed up downloads?
I dont think andman42 is going to do this, the extension is a frontend for the dl manager not a replacement for it, I also doubt that it is possible to effiently achive a multi-threaded download manager as an extension. I also doubt this will ever be put in mozilla or firefox since it will be classified as bloat.

Not necessarily. Cross-session resuming is going into Firefox, and that isn't considered bloat by Ben. IMO it would be a nice feature to have, and would make it a REAL download manager instead of just another UI.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
rgw

Post by rgw »

Maybe you can commission a separate icon set to give your tweak an even better look and feel. Recycling the qute icons for everything will work, but we know it could be better.
yeah...I own.
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

I like the qute icons... if you change if, please add an option to chnage the ico nto any desired icon
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

rgw wrote:Maybe you can commission a separate icon set to give your tweak an even better look and feel. Recycling the qute icons for everything will work, but we know it could be better.

Which tweaK? WHOSE tweak?

Just wondering which belongs to who here.
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

sasquatch wrote:
rgw wrote:Maybe you can commission a separate icon set to give your tweak an even better look and feel. Recycling the qute icons for everything will work, but we know it could be better.

Which tweaK? WHOSE tweak?

Just wondering which belongs to who here.

The download manager tweak by andman42, his extension uses the qute icons, but theme can skin it with whatever icons they want
Chris1808

Post by Chris1808 »

Nice overhall of the origional download manager, much easier to read
Maybe this has already been said, but are there any plans to add a "resume download function"

by resume I mean if the power goes off, your connection drops or you switch of the machine

When you come back to switch on the machine you can contine from where you left off. I now a lot of servers support a feature similar to this as do some existing download managers

I know from what i have read there are no palns to add a multi-threading option

but would something like this be possible
If you go to a web site and there are multiple locations / mirrors for a file can the download manager add assess the speed of each link & automatically select the fasest / most stable link or allow the user to switch links if one of them becomes to slow

For a better idea of what i'me on about try a downlaod with download acclerator plus (no I don't work for them either I just had the app on my machine for a while)
neilj

Post by neilj »

Yes, there are plans to add resume functionality before 1.0 is released.
Dan201

Post by Dan201 »

I reckon the tweak should have the option of closing the manager after a certain period of time after the download completes, i.e. like what you have set up for opening the manager. I think that it would be much more useful there than when opening the manager.

Just a thought.
-Daniel
LordDeath

Post by LordDeath »

sasquatch wrote:http://dmextension.mozdev.org/

this extension doesn't work for me. but i wrote ajlanzone a mail about this with two screenshots...

edit: here the shots on my webspace: http://mitglied.lycos.de/ld86/extension%20shots.rar