Can't dismiss reminder in lightning

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
ssitter

Re: Can't dismiss reminder in lightning

Post by ssitter »

grzz76 wrote:Is this a problem with just Lightning? Here at work, most people use Zimbra for mail and calendar. The problem of not being able to dismiss an event is happening within Zimbra also. One of the admin assts who uses only Zimbra, has reminders of old events popping up.
Lightning Bug 432540 mentions this issue and refers to Zimbra Bug 28057. You might check what Zimbra version is used in your location.
arbitrary

Post by arbitrary »

This is a "me too" post.

Windows XP SP3
Thunderbird 2.0.0.17
Lightning 0.9
Provider for Google Calendar 0.5.1

I have one event with an alarm and am unable to dismiss the reminder window. However, when I disabled the caching feature and restarted Thunderbird, the reminder went away.
dennis3484

Post by dennis3484 »

arbitrary wrote:Windows XP SP3
Thunderbird 2.0.0.17
Lightning 0.9

I have one event with an alarm and am unable to dismiss the reminder window. However, when I disabled the caching feature and restarted Thunderbird, the reminder went away.

Some configuration here except for Windows XP. It seems that the Cache is VERY EXPERIMENTAL! 8-[
tochiro

Post by tochiro »

Windows XP SP2
Thunderbird 2.0.0.17
Lightning 0.9

Same problem here. I had to uninstall Lightning because I could not get rid of the reminders :-(
Tanker Bob

Post by Tanker Bob »

Kubuntu Linux 8.04.1
Thunderbird 2.0.0.17 (Build 20080925)
Lightning 0.9 (Build 2008091718)
Provider 0.5.1

Same problem here. The cache is not read-only. I cannot dismiss reminders. I have to edit the original appointments to delete the reminder to get rid of them. We need an interim release to fix this.
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's PDA Page
AaronLBorg

Post by AaronLBorg »

I'm getting the same problem on Ubuntu Hardy.
TBird: version 2.0.0.17 (20080925)
Lightning: 0.9
Provider for Google Calendar: 0.5.1

Seems to me it's a permissions issue with the xml being sent from Google.

I don't know enough about xml files....but perhaps someone could tell me where this file lives on my local computer so I could chmod it to the correct permissions level.

It'd be nice to get this one squared away.

Thanks!
Tanker Bob

Post by Tanker Bob »

Aaron,

The lightning calendar cache file is under your thunderbird profile: /home/[user]/.mozilla-thunderbird/[profile].default/calendar-data/ . It's not an xml file, but an sqlite database file. I looked at mine and its permissions were correct. Always have been. That wasn't the issue.

I think that I finally got the reminders to work correctly by disabling the cache and restarting thunderbird.
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's PDA Page
AaronLBorg

Post by AaronLBorg »

Thanks TBob.

I chmodded the storage.sdb file to 777 and that at least let me "dismiss" a reminder that refused to go away.

Another funny thing though is the fact that I'll change a calendar item in gmail and it still won't change in my local version in Thunderbird. It's like there's a cached version locally that refuses to be overwritten.

I have no idea what's causing this.
Tanker Bob

Post by Tanker Bob »

AaronLBorg wrote:Thanks TBob.
Another funny thing though is the fact that I'll change a calendar item in gmail and it still won't change in my local version in Thunderbird. It's like there's a cached version locally that refuses to be overwritten.

I have no idea what's causing this.

Same here. That's why I've stopped using the cache. It is EXPERIMENTAL anyway, so I'm not complaining. Calendar loading seems faster with these newer versions of Provider and Lightning.
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's PDA Page
jameslarking

Post by jameslarking »

i have the same problem and although it isn't a solution i have disabled reminders in my google calendar which stops the reminders coming up. ok, it's not ideal but at least gets rid until the issue is fixed
jameslarking

Post by jameslarking »

sorry, that should be disable alarms in thunderbird
arbitrary

Post by arbitrary »

Another update. I uninstalled the Google Calender Provider and connected to google calender using CalDAV. I still see the same problem, being unable to dismiss reminders. Caching is not enabled for this calender instance.

This really makes lightning unusable.
thecomputerguy74

Post by thecomputerguy74 »

I had this same issue, as early as this morning. I have Windows Vista SP1, with Thunderbird v2.0.0.18 and Lightning (the latest version released version). I use GCalDaemon to sync my Lightning with my Google Calendar. I have been having the same issue, where I could not dismiss appointments, and they would pop up every x minutes.

I right-clicked on the calendar in Lightning on the left side, and chose Properties. Caching was already turned off, but read only was turned on. I unchecked Read Only, and was finally able to dismiss my appointments. I reloaded the remote calendars, and they did not popup any more. I will have to monitor to verify if they no longer return, but so far it looks promising.
jonstrong

Post by jonstrong »

This must be connected in some way to Google Sync... I had been using Lightning before with Google Sync and it worked fine for a while with single and repeating appointments -- until I installed the latest Google Sync update. Then I started seeing the endless popups that cannot be dismissed.

I checked the calendar properties, and found that I had, indeed, turned on caching (despite the warning that it was experimental!). I unchecked this, restarted Thunderbird. It seems to take a bit longer to start up now -- I guess it's checking with Google calendar to get a current view, instead of relying on the cached copy for start up? Anyway - with caching turned off, the "popups of doom" have finally stopped. Thunderbird and Lightning are usable once again, and I'm happy because I won't have to revert back to Outlook.

- Jon
LudoA

Post by LudoA »

Same problem here. TB version 2.0.0.19 (20081209), Lightning 0.9, Provider for GC 0.5.1.

Cache is turned off. It's not my main Google calendar, but a secondary one which I created in my account. Using URL http://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/bl ... blah/basic

I did use GooSync on my mobile, not sure if this could be related to it. I didn't use it on the calendar causing me problems though, as I can only use GooSync on my main calendar, not secondary ones. (Though it's possible the problem also exists on my main calendar, I haven't had a reminder pop up for that one yet, so I haven't dismissed one yet.)

Any suggestions? This suddenly started happening to me today...