Lightning / .ics files

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
Eudiniz

Lightning / .ics files

Post by Eudiniz »

I use Thunderbird, and I have installed Lightning (both in Mac, OsX versions). I've selected, in Preferences, for ics files to be opened with thunderbird (there is not an option of opening it with Lightning) However, when I receive .ics files attached in e-mail and I click on it, it is not automatically added in the Calendar. I've had to turn to ical for managing .ics files, but I'd pretty much rather be using Thunderbird/Lightning. Can anyone help me?
SK.

Re: Lightning / .ics files

Post by SK. »

This topic belongs in the Calendar forum. However, you need to be registered to post there. Please register, return to this thread to let us know and we can move this thread to the appropriate forum. Please don't just crosspost this question there.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
eudiniz

Post by eudiniz »

Ok. I've registered as eudiniz.
What should I do now?
All the best,
eudiniz
SK.

Post by SK. »

You need do nothing. I will move this thread to the Calendar forum.

Thanks for registering!
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
bvdbos

Post by bvdbos »

You need to set "display attachments inline", then you can accept or decline invites though a button at the top oif the email-preview. You can also drag the ics-attachment to the calendar-button in the mode-toolbar. Lightning doesn't register itself as the default program for ics-files (yet).
eudiniz

Post by eudiniz »

bvdbos wrote:You need to set "display attachments inline", then you can accept or decline invites though a button at the top oif the email-preview. You can also drag the ics-attachment to the calendar-button in the mode-toolbar. Lightning doesn't register itself as the default program for ics-files (yet).

Thank you for that! I`ve just tried it, and it worked. You`re a life saver!
All the best,
eudiniz
jaycummings

Post by jaycummings »

This works. However, I do not want generally to have inline attachments, because I receive many large non-text or graphics file attachments. Why can't Lightning just add the item to the calendar when the item is opened by Thunderbird? Opening the file with T-bird doesn't do anything now. Okay, so I can just enable inline attachments temporarily, then disable them again when I go on to the next message, but that is a couple extra unnecessary clicks.

Also, I found that when I did not disable inline attachments, went on to the next message, and it happened to include one of these massive files, I got the whole file in the message even after disabling inline attachments again (it seems to fail to recognize it as an attachment anymore after downloading it from the IMAP server in order to display it inline). This specific file was a .fits file, a NASA standard for astronomical imaging, spectral and table data.
madBoP

Post by madBoP »

Somehow I cannot find the accept button you have mentioned ... even with inline display of attachments activated.
kinemax

Post by kinemax »

madBoP wrote:Somehow I cannot find the accept button you have mentioned ... even with inline display of attachments activated.

I am having a similar problem: the Calendar "toolbar" above the email preview (with or without Accept/Decline/Tentative buttons) would show up for one message but not others. Any hint/pointer on what I need to do for a proper setup would be appreciated. FWIW I am running Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 and Lightning 0.9.

TIA.
kinemax

Post by kinemax »

I have resolved the previously reported problem with the toolbar buttons (it appeared to be caused by the mail forwarding operation of my previous email client). However, I now experience another problem in that event updates or cancellations do not get reflected in the calendar. The toolbar (above the preview pane) would display a message saying "this message contains an event cancellation" -- there is no button to click whatsoever, and the affected event remains intact. I would like to know how event updates or cancellations are supposed to be handled/processed and what I need to do to fix the problem I just described.

TIA.
schwabenschwede

Post by schwabenschwede »

Hello kinemax,

I found your last post here and I have the same problem:
The event cancellations do not get reflected in the calendar. The toolbar displays a message saying "this message contains an event cancellation", but there is no button to click and the affected event remains in the callendar.
Did you or anybody else find any sollution to this?

Markus
kinemax

Post by kinemax »

I "upgraded" to Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 and the "latest" Lightning version, and I am now able to process Event Cancellation/Update correctly. Beware however that the newer Lightning version (database) is not backward compatible with older versions that run with Thunderbird 2, so you will not be able to roll back to earlier versions after the upgrade.

My new wish-list feature is to be able to properly forward and receive forwarded calendar events to/from Outlook.
aravamudan

Post by aravamudan »

Hi ALL

I am trying Thunderbird v 3.1.7 (today 3.1.8 also) with lightning 1.0b2 and face the following problems
When I invite through an event, mails are sent to respective attendees. However, the acknowledgment from the attendees do not reflect whether it is accepted , declined or tentative .
I simply get a message "The message contains an update to an existing event" and an update button only

Which combination (TB-LIGHTNING) provides the right acknowledgment ?

Thanks
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

aravamudan,
Please check the date before posting to these old threads.
Start a new one, stating your problem. Thank you.
Sorry but locking this oldie.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)