Removing the Java Quick Starter Add-on

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
L.A.R. Grizzly

Removing the Java Quick Starter Add-on

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Here's a tip:

If you install the latest Java Runtime (Java 6 Update 11), it automatically installs an add-on in Firefox without asking you. It's called Java Quick Starter. You can't uninstall through Firefox. Go to Control Panel, double click Java. In the Java control panel, click the Advanced tab. Click the + in front of Miscellaneous and uncheck the Java Quick Starter box to remove the add-on.
Last edited by LoudNoise on February 2nd, 2009, 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Desticky
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
Ed1

Re: Removing the Java Quick Starter Add-on

Post by Ed1 »

What is the purpose of the Java Quick Starter add-on for Firefox?
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

I don't see doing that removes the add-on, disables it yeah, but it's still there in 'extensions' and clicking 'uninstall' doesn't work here?
Don't see it in the profile extensions folder either. :-k
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

mightyglydd wrote:I don't see doing that removes the add-on, disables it yeah, but it's still there in 'extensions' and clicking 'uninstall' doesn't work here?
Don't see it in the profile extensions folder either. :-k

It completely removed it from my FF installation. Did you restart FF?
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Yeah, it only goes away if Java's uninstalled.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

mightyglydd wrote:Yeah, it only goes away if Java's uninstalled.

Did you do a clean install of Java or did you update? I did a clean install.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Yeah, also noticed with the 'next generation' plug-in activated the java console in tools doesn't work, also after uninstalling it left a file in about:plugins.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Ed1 wrote:What is the purpose of the Java Quick Starter add-on for Firefox?

Not sure why Firefox needs the add-on but I found this on Java Quick Starter:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/jweb/otherFeatures/jqs.html
Java(TM) Quick Starter for JavaSE 6u10

According to a post by jpj-fr in this thread, the Java Quick Starter Firefox extension is installed via the Windows Registry, (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Firefox\extensions\). There's some information about uninstalling such add-ons here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_add-ons#Windows_Registry_extension
Alice Wyman
Alice

Post by Alice »

mightyglydd wrote:Yeah, also noticed with the 'next generation' plug-in activated the java console in tools doesn't work,

There's a bug on that:
Bug 460244 - Unable to open Java Console after installing JRE6u10

mightyglydd wrote: also after uninstalling it left a file in about:plugins.

What was the name of the plugin file?
Alice Wyman
Myhro

Post by Myhro »

Just remove it from registry.
Now it's ok to me.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

It seems from my 2 computers, one XP and one Vista, and from the information posted by Alice, that the Java Quick Starter add-on is only installed on XP systems, not on Vista systems as Vista has its own prefetching method.

Is this correct?
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Alice wrote:What was the name of the plugin file?

I'm not 100% sure but I believe it was this one: npdeploytk.dll, also unchecking 'enable next generation plugin' pretty much doubles the amount of files in about:plugins, check it and they go away.
Thanks for the heads up Alice.....I hunt :)

@^ It's also installed on Win2k.
Alice

Post by Alice »

mightyglydd,

I found some information on the "next generation" plugin in the Java 6 Update 10 release notes. Apparently when you disable the "next generation" plugin it enables the "old style" Java plugins (I'm still using JRE 6 Update 7 and I have seven Java plugins in about:plugins.)
Ref:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/6u10.html
Note that as of this release, the next generation Java Plug-in is provided. The next generation Java Plug-in is the default for IE and Firefox 3. The original (old) Plug-in remains the default for Firefox 2. On Windows, you can switch between the old and new Plug-ins by using the Java Control Panel.
Alice Wyman
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Alice
I can confirm npdeploytk.dll was the Java plugin left behind after uninstalling Java 6 Update 10.
Went back to Update 7 after discovering the Java Quick Starter was repeatedly activating (checking) itself after I'd unchecked it in the Java control panel! (with the Add-On disabled)
Java Quick Starter also showed up in Win Patrol 'services' under startup automatic.
Oh.....the Add-On is gone.
Alice

Post by Alice »

mightyglydd wrote:Alice
I can confirm npdeploytk.dll was the Java plugin left behind after uninstalling Java 6 Update 10.

Thanks, I appreciate that information, which may come in handy. Here's what I found out:

The Java 6 Update 10 release notes say, under Next Generation Java Plug-in, that the new plugin implementation, among other features, has
ability to select a particular version of the Java Runtime Environment for an individual applet.

The release notes link to https://jdk6.dev.java.net/plugin2/ for more information, where it says that the new Java Plug-In for Firefox is npjp2.dll on Windows (libnpjp2.so on Unix platforms).

Someone here posted a list of installed plugins, which included:
*Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U10: npdeploytk.dll - Java(TM) Platform SE binary
*Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U10: npjp2.dll - Java Plug-in 1.6.0_10 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

I did a google search on npdeploytk.dll and found a JavaWorld article, The new applet experience - Applet development with JavaFX Script and Java SE 6u10 which says,
You'll also discover the Deployment Toolkit Plugin, a browser plugin designed to interact with deployJava.js. The idea is for runApplet() to access the plugin to obtain a list of installed JREs, install a specific JRE or the latest JRE, and perform other tasks.
<snip>
Two Deployment Toolkit Plugin implementations
There are two implementations of the Deployment Toolkit Plugin. The Mozilla Firefox Netscape API-based implementation is contained in npdeploytk.dll, which is located in the browser's plugins directory, and is identified by MIME type application/npruntime-scriptable-plugin;DeploymentToolkit. Similarly, the Internet Explorer ActiveX Control-based implementation is contained in deploytk.dll, which is located in the windows\system32 directory, and is identified by ClassID CAFEEFAC-DEC7-0000-0000-ABCDEFFEDCBA.
As I figure it, npdeploytk.dll is used when a webpage is coded to call for it, to get information on installed JRE versions and possibly select which one to use or prompt you to install a needed JRE.

I found that npdeploytk.dll can cause Firefox 3 to crash on Vista, if it's left behind after you uninstall Java:
Sun's Bug ID: 6720641 Firefox 3.0 crashes with Deployment Toolkit in UAC enabled Vista
How to reproduce:
Install FF3.0 (if not there)
Install JRE (b27 PIT)

Un-instll JRE and Make sure that npdeploytk.dll exists in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins directory. (b527 version)
Load this page : (or any page which use deployment toolkit java script)<snip>
Alice Wyman