Firefox closes immediately after I try to open

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
hunter1801

Firefox closes immediately after I try to open

Post by hunter1801 »

I was surfing the internet, then alt tabed to a game I was playing. I noticed that the browser was no longer opened, and it had closed all my tabs

I reopened and it gave me the "start new session" "restore previous session" message. I tried both and the browser does not open. It shuts down in a split second.

I have reloaded Firefox completely, and i was able to have it stay open for about a minute, then it closed again while I was looking through the options menu (where you can clear private data, ect).

As soon as I try to open Firefox, it shuts down immediately. Don't know what else to do. I have completely unistalled and reinstalled, I ran CCleaner, and Ad-Aware.
SK.

Re: Firefox closes immediately after I try to open

Post by SK. »

Does this knowledge base page offer any assistance? Does this knowledge base article help?
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
hunter1801

Post by hunter1801 »

Nope, already looked at those. They don't really provide solutions for this problem.
Edit: Same problem occurs when trying to open in safe mode. Screen shuts down right after I try to open.
SK.

Post by SK. »

When you stated "completely uninstalled," did that include deleting the program directory? Have you tried creating a new profile?
Vlad2008

Post by Vlad2008 »

SK wrote:When you stated "completely uninstalled," did that include deleting the program directory? Have you tried creating a new profile?

Same thing happens to me, I was browsing some pages with firefox opened some page and it crashed, since then I've tried reopening and it automatically closes everytime. Yes, I have tried starting new session, I've also tried uninstalling it and removing every bit of data firefox left on my computer, I've even tried installing 5 different versions and still no luck, since then everytime I open firefox it closes immediately, in like 0.5 seconds, no time to do anything.
SK.

Post by SK. »

Vlad2008 - Did you review the links I provided above?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

What kind of game was that?
Does it use an internet connection?

You can try to disable Java to see if that helps: Tools > Options > Content : Enable Java
See also How do I clear the Java cache? - 1.5.0, 6.0

You can also try to disable the other plugins (Tools > Add-ons > Plugins).

(edit: fixed link)
Last edited by dickvl on November 2nd, 2008, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deefees

Post by Deefees »

I have this same problem since yesterday, i just reinstalled ff. But it didn't help.
I was surfing, playing game to (game can be played online but i was playing single player), alt-tabbed etc. At one point visual studio JIT debugger appeared but i didn't rly payed attention to it, since i have had this debugger-thingy few times before (but for a game that crashes or something), but apperently it was for firefox this time. It asked me if i wanted to use the JIT debugger and i said 'no' and returned to my game. After this moment it doesn't wanne open anymore. Max i get is 3 sec. The process immediately shuts down..
SK.

Post by SK. »

Did you review the links I provided? That which dickvl provided?
Deefees

Post by Deefees »

Not rly anything that helps in there. I didn't do anything special when this problem started. I was just surfin sites i surfed millions of times before (and alt-tabbing warcraftIII)
I uninstalled firefox, deleted the c:/program files/mozilla map manually and reinstalled, but still the same thing. I can't go to tools > options etc cause it never even gets the time to launch. It's not rly a crash either, its like someone klicks the X even before it can launch.

*Just tried something*

Waaw lol, it's like i thought, that debugger thing or something must have a vault or something, and it has 'firefox.exe' in it i guess.. i just renamed the firefox.exe thing to firefoxx.exe and now it works lolol!

Thanks anyway!
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

If renaming the Firefox program works then you may have malware on your computer.

You should check your computer with a few programs: viewtopic.php?p=4057885#p4057885
hunter1801

Post by hunter1801 »

UPDATE:
I resolved the day after I stopped posting. I guess I had a bunch of malware and viruses on my computer. I downloaded a program for free since I didn't want to pay for one (I'll leave the name out so it doesn't sound like I'm trying to promote that one). It found like 35 infected files. I ran it, and still had the problem, but when I turned my computer on the next day it was fine.
LucienT7

Post by LucienT7 »

Just changing the name works :)
dsadfsda

Post by dsadfsda »

hunter1801 wrote:UPDATE:
I resolved the day after I stopped posting. I guess I had a bunch of malware and viruses on my computer. I downloaded a program for free since I didn't want to pay for one (I'll leave the name out so it doesn't sound like I'm trying to promote that one). It found like 35 infected files. I ran it, and still had the problem, but when I turned my computer on the next day it was fine.

Name it anyways, as some free ones are scum ware(and pretend to find lots of stuff).
But there are many good free ones out there.