Sorry to ask this, but...

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
jesspro

Sorry to ask this, but...

Post by jesspro »

I know this is a real dumb question, but momma always said that there are no dumb questions -- just dumb people (me), so:

When I go to mail.yahoo.com or to hotmail and try to create mail, I am limited to basic composition functionality...

Are these sites (especially Yahoo) created for IE only??? I LOVE Pheonix so far, and I am dying to ditch IE -- but I hate losing my composition functionality when accessing Yahoo or Hotmail (yuck). If it's just a matter of the correct plug-in or settings, can someone PLEASE let me know?

Thanks,

JD
JC

Post by JC »

What do you mean by basic composition functionality? I get basically the same page and functionality using yahoo mail in Phoenix as I do in IE6.
djst

Post by djst »

I think he means the formatted editing control that is displayed when you're using IE. I guess this is either an ActiveX or just plain proprietary M$ code.
jesspro

Yahoo Mail

Post by jesspro »

djst wrote:I think he means the formatted editing control that is displayed when you're using IE. I guess this is either an ActiveX or just plain proprietary M$ code.

Yes -- I guess that's exactly what I mean. ActiveX -- ugh! And I'm guessing that ActiveX is MS only, right? So I guess I'm SOL as far as getting the same interface.

As far as what interface? You can create HTML/RichText based messages (Yahoo/Hotmail respectively) when using IE. In Mozilla/Pheonix, you only get plain text composition. The page also displays "nicer" under IE.
pepp5

WFM

Post by pepp5 »

I just checked and I get what looks to be the identical same web page and content under Mozilla 1.1 and IE 6.0 on this win2k system. <shrug>
Robert W

Re: Sorry to ask this, but...

Post by Robert W »

jesspro wrote:When I go to mail.yahoo.com or to hotmail and try to create mail, I am limited to basic composition functionality...

Do you have the java plugins installed. It has been a while since I used Yahoo mail but if I remember corretly the Advanced stuff is all Java Applets. Try installing the latest <a href=http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html>JRE</a> from java.sun.com. Make sure you get the plugins into Phoenix\Plugins.

-Robert W.
jesspro

Re: Sorry to ask this, but...

Post by jesspro »

Robert W wrote:Do you have the java plugins installed. It has been a while since I used Yahoo mail but if I remember corretly the Advanced stuff is all Java Applets. Try installing the latest <a href=http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html>JRE</a> from java.sun.com. Make sure you get the plugins into Phoenix\Plugins.

-Robert W.

Thanks for the help -- but I'm goofing something up. I have J2SE 1.4.1 installed (I already had it, but I re-installed to be sure). During the install, it never specifies that it is installing plugins for Pheonix -- and the only file in phoenix\plugins is npnul32.dll. Am I missing something?!?

TIA

JD
General E

I have the same problem as Jesspro

Post by General E »

On 3 different machines (all running Win2K, two of them running Mozilla 1.2, and my home machine running Phoenix 0.4) I have the same problem. My girlfriend, my parents, and my sister all use Hotmail, and when I switched them to Mozilla the only problem is that some features don't carry over. I have 2 hotmail windows open now to "compose a message" --- the IE one has extra buttons, like "add, edit attachments." I'm using the latest JRE, but I did nothing except install it and point it to my Plugins folder. Should I (and/or Jesspro) be taking an extra step?

Thanks!
jesspro

how to install Java plugin?

Post by jesspro »

uh, when I run the Java install I get no options to choose to install plugins... In advanced mode it let's me choose a browser -- IE -- nothing else!!!

FYI: I copied all of the files out of my mozilla plugins dir and restarted Pheonix -- just to see if it made a difference... Nope.

And to add to General's post: when in hotmail (using IE) there is a tools menu (when composing a message). Under this menu there is an option for Rich Text. When you're using Mozilla / Pheonix, the menu is there, but that Rich Text option is not.

Thanks again for all of the help/feedback.
Nate

Post by Nate »

You can see which plugins are loaded by typing about:plugins in Phoenix -- look for the Java plugin(s).
jesspro

I've got Java...

Post by jesspro »

thanks for the help with the rookie questions!

I still can't solve my original problem -- I guess it's just an Active X thing. :-(

Thanks anyway!
flx

Post by flx »

The answer has nothing to do with ActiveX or Java. Microsoft implemented a way for inline content to be editable. There are Java Applets that do something similar that enable NS4+ and Moz, and one company simply encapsulates an activex control via a NS plugin. There are a few FlashMX versions starting to pop up as well.

This is planned to be implemented in Mozilla, and was targeted for 1.2beta. I'm not sure if it made it though. Here is the bug you want though.
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=97284