new email messages will not download to inbox

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
morrissette_d

new email messages will not download to inbox

Post by morrissette_d »

Why is it that when my Firefox history has a lot of address it prevents new email on my server from being downloaded to my in box?
I hope this make sense but whenever I can't download new message to my mail inbox I go and clear Firefox history and my mail comes in.
Is there a way that I can clear my history automatically every few days?
Daifne

Re: new email messages will not download to inbox

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Thunderbird Support

Since Firefox and Thunderbird are completely separate programs, it makes no sense at all.

How recently have you compacted your folders? Compacting is something that needs to be done regularly in any email program. We recommend weekly, but many of us do it daily. When done often enough, it can be an extremely fast process. Not doing so can lead to problems like those you are experiencing. See this about how to and why it's so important: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders

If you haven't been doing that before, and 'compacting' them now (and leaving a long enough time for the process to complete) doesn't fully resolve the problem then do the following on each account:

Close Thunderbird. Find and delete all of the files with the .msf file extension in your profile folder/Mail http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird including your Local Folders, especially if you are using the global inbox. You must have "View hidden files and folders" on http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=272 and you need to set "hide extensions for known file types" off (just below View Hidden) if you are using Windows. For VIsta, use the XP instructions. These are your mail summary files and do not hold any messages themselves. They will be rebuilt the next time you open each folder in Thunderbird. Compact all your folders when you have completed this. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders

To avoid this happening again, see the tips in these articles:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keep_it_worki ... derbird%29
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_%28Thunderbird%29
clarkpd6

Post by clarkpd6 »

Have performed all the suggestions, email will still not download from server.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

* Which version of Thunderbird? Check Help>About for the version number.
* What operating system?
* What is the exact wording of the error message you are receiving?
* Do you have any extensions installed?
* What kind of mail - POP, IMAP?
* Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which ones?
* Without divulging your e-mail address or account name, what are your server settings, including server name and port number for:
+ Tools>Account Settings>*account*>Server Settings?
clarkpd6

Post by clarkpd6 »

Firstly, thank you to responding to my query, even though my query is short.

In answer to your queries:

Thunder version is 2.0.0.17 (20080914)

OS is Win XP SP2

Error Message - There is no error message. Last message (bottom of screen) states "Downloading 1 of 9". No emails are dowloaded.

Extensions Installed: Asertiva Thunderbird Extension for Windows 0.9.9.1. This is Disabled
CA Link Advisor 1.1.0.15. This is Enabled.
Mail Tweak 0.15. This is Disabled.
Talkback 2.0.0.9. This is Diabled.

Mail Type: POP

Mail Service: ISP

Firewall/Antivirus: Computer Associates Internet Suite Plus 2009

Server Settings: mail.bigpond.com, Port 110, Security: TLS, if available, Ticked are "Check for new messages at startup", "Check for new message every 10 mins", "Automatically download new message".

As an aside, I also have another PC with W2K installed. This PC have same version of Thunderbird with same settings, aside from email account and a different firewall, and have never had a problem.

I greatly appreciate you help. I am about to give up on TB on the XP machine and use Outlook.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You probably have a message stuck on the server. Login with webmail and move or delete the oldest message not downloaded.

Post by Guest »

Sorry to say that I have already tried this.

As a last resort I disabled my Computer Associates Internet Suite Plus 2009. TB could then download emails. I then re-enabled CA.

I will now have to work my way through the various configuration items in CA to ascertain which one is blocking mail.

The issue is not resolved, however I now know where to start.

Thanks for your help and I will post a note when I determine what the issue is.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You're welcome.
clarkpd6

Post by clarkpd6 »

Daifne wrote:You're welcome.
I have found the source of the problem.

To recap (as noted above) when I disabled the Firewall, I could then download emails and when completed, I re-enabled the Firewall. For a few days after that I could download emails, no problems, however as of today (11th Nov 08) I have the problem back.

As noted, my Antivirus/Firewall is Computer Associates Internet Suite Plus 2009.

Resolution is thus: I had to create a network rule for the Firewall to allow traffic for "PO3 Out" on Port 110.

emails then promptly downloaded.

Hope this helps others with Computer Associates Internet Suite Plus 2009 and TB.

Cheers....
cpopp

Post by cpopp »

I'm also experiencing this same issue on my computer using Thunderbird and my wife's laptop using Outlook Express. She has Kaspersky and I'm using an old corporate version of Symantec A/V. The problem started when my personal webhost provider migrated to a new server architecture. When the mailboxes were migrated, all the emails on the server were recaptured by by gmail account but Thunderbird refuses to download any new emails. I can send emails through SMTP. I can receive new emails through my webmail client and gmail. I just can't get Thunderbird or Outlook Express to cooperate. I don't believe it's a firewall issue because the port hasn't changed and I didn't need to configure a firewall exclusion for this in the past.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

cpopp,
You have a different problem. Please start a new topic. These issues can get quite involved and helping more than one person in a topic just confuses everyone. Thanks.
cpopp

Post by cpopp »

new topic started as requested... thanks
lynnann50

Post by lynnann50 »

Hi all, This past Saturday night, I downloaded and read my email as I always do before going to bed. Then...yesterday, Sunday morning, my program wouldn't download mail from my pop3 server...it says..."Connect: Server found, sending login info...." but that's it...nothing else. I've let it sit like that for hours, and nothing ever happens...not error messages...nothing.

I used to get my email through Outlook Express, so went to my other computer to check to see if Frontier was the culprit...and nope...the mail downloaded to OE just fine.

I've scoured the help forums...to no avail. The only difference between Saturday night and Sunday morning was the Daylight Savings time change...could that be it??? and what can I do? I've come to LOVE Thunderbird....and don't want to lose all of the mail I've got in it...HELP! love and peace..lynnann
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

lynnann50,
You have a different problem. Please start a new topic. These issues can get quite involved and helping more than one person in a topic just confuses everyone. Thanks.