Jar:File not found error

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
krodvix

Jar:File not found error

Post by krodvix »

Sometimes when I type in a keyword, firefox gives me the following error:

File Not Found:

Firefox can't find the file at jar:file:///C:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/chrome/en-US.jar!/locale/browser-region/region.properties"abcd"

* Could the item have been renamed, removed, or relocated?
* Is there a spelling, capitalization, or other typographical error in the address?
* Do you have sufficient access permissions to the requested item?

Where "abcd" is the keyword used. Please help me resolve this. It is really annoying.
dickvl

Re: Jar:File not found error

Post by dickvl »

Maybe one of your extensions is causing problems.
If you installed new extensions or updated some of them recently then try to disable those.

You can start Firefox in Safe mode to check if your problem is caused by an extension or theme (try the DEFAULT theme).
If starting in Safe-mode works then disable your extensions (Tools > Add-ons > Extensions or use the option in the Safe-mode window) and re-enable them one by one until you find which one is causing it.
Close and restart Firefox after each change.
bullduck

Post by bullduck »

dickvl wrote:Maybe one of your extensions is causing problems.
If you installed new extensions or updated some of them recently then try to disable those.

You can start Firefox in Safe mode to check if your problem is caused by an extension or theme (try the DEFAULT theme).
If starting in Safe-mode works then disable your extensions (Tools > Add-ons > Extensions or use the option in the Safe-mode window) and re-enable them one by one until you find which one is causing it.
Close and restart Firefox after each change.
Nah, i've got the exact same issue but i don't ven have any add-on installed as i just did a clean re-install of XP. I think this is some kind of annoying nasty bug.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can try to create a new (test) profile to check if it is caused by your current profile.
See Standard diagnostic: Profile issues
First test the new profile without making changes and if that works then you can transfer some files to the new profile or you an try to fix the original profile. Be careful that you do not copy corrupted files.

See Transferring data to a new profile - Firefox

If it still happens with a new profile then probably another program or service that runs on your computer is the cause of it.
dav4is

Post by dav4is »

I get the same error when attempting to browse with no connection to internet:
jar:file:///C:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/chrome/en-US.jar!/locale/browser-region/region.propertieswww.google.com.

And, I have Java disabled!

These errors just started happening recently, i.e. in the last two weeks or so -- after installing the last update, I think.

Running FF 3.0.3
-R.
(HP Pavilion m6 notebook, Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, latest updates)
dav4is

Post by dav4is »

The culprit seems to be the add-on Ask.com toolbar 2.1.0.3. Disabling that made the error go away.

Now, where did that add-on come from? Did it come with the COMODO security package?
-R.
(HP Pavilion m6 notebook, Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, latest updates)
Vyksin

Post by Vyksin »

Does it have anything to do with Google Chrome? I have it installed as well, but I've had too many problems with it (it's still in beta I believe).
Btw, I'm running Vista and I've got v3.0.4 of Firefox.
michel S

Post by michel S »

i have got the same problem. and yes, only sincs i have installed COMODO firewall...

what can i do now? :)

thanks
dav4is

Post by dav4is »

Anonymous wrote:i have got the same problem. and yes, only sincs i have installed COMODO firewall...

what can i do now? :)

thanks
Delete the Ask.com toolbar add-on, using tools/add-on's from FireFox toolbar. If in doubt, you can just disable it using same access.
-R.
KaKtusSs

Post by KaKtusSs »

dav4is wrote:The culprit seems to be the add-on Ask.com toolbar 2.1.0.3. Disabling that made the error go away.

Now, where did that add-on come from? Did it come with the COMODO security package?

Had the same problem, removing the ask.com toolbar solved the problem.
Thanks !
bullduck

Post by bullduck »

but... i have no ask.com ttolbar
dav4is

Post by dav4is »

Start Firefox in safe mode:

WINDOWS+R [opens a "RUN" window]
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode [assumes this is where you installed FF]

If problem disappears, the cause is one of your FF add-on's.
To discover which one: Restart FF normally and disable your add-on's one by one until you observe the problem disappears. The last add-on you disabled was the culprit. You should uninstall that add-on.

One hopes that is is not a /combination/ of add-ons that is the cause! [-o<
-R.
vipereejay

Post by vipereejay »

got the same problem. if the rest won't work, try uninstalling firefox and reinstall it again, but this time, not on the default directory (C:\Program Files\Firefox...), but customize it to be installed in other directories apart from the default one..worked well for me..

Post by Guest »

had the exact same issue, ask.com toolbar was the culprit.
Vaidia

Post by Vaidia »

I am recieving the same message, but I cannot get online at all, even with explorer or any other internet-enabled software. This happened after trying to install a wireless Canon printer drive. Any suggestions?