Configuring a Send-Only Account in Thunderbird

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
cheisser

Configuring a Send-Only Account in Thunderbird

Post by cheisser »

Hi everyone, I have been wondering if there is any way to configure an Account in thunderbird to only send email but not receive.

I have this gmail account which I share with other coworkers and for some reason if we all configure POP3, even if we all set it up to leave copies on the server, apparently the first one to download new incoming mail leaves the others unable to download the same mail. No error message is displayed it only appears as if there were no new email.

Now, this is not the problem since we have sorted it out defining a forward for the gmail account, what I want to now is if there is any way to setup this gmail account in thunderbird to Only SEND and not receive. You can do that in Outlook and I was wondering if there is a chance to do it in thunderbird, what I have been doing until now is entering a deliberately erroneous POP name server like "pop.gmail.com" (quotes included), but I would like to know if there is a better way to do this.

Im using, Windows XP SP3, Thunderbird 2.0.0.17 spanish version.
Plugins installed: mailtweak and minimize to tray.

Thnx for all your help.
Rocketman

Re: Configuring a Send-Only Account in Thunderbird

Post by Rocketman »

Have you tried unchecking "Automatically download new messages" in Account Settings/Server Settings? I would also uncheck "Check for new messages at startup" & "Check for new messages every __ minutes."
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Ben Franklin
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

But, you can all receive the same messages from a GMail account. Either set it up as IMAP instead of POP or use GMail's Recent mode: https://mail.google.com/support/bin/ans ... topic=1556
cheisser

Post by cheisser »

Daifne wrote:But, you can all receive the same messages from a GMail account. Either set it up as IMAP instead of POP or use GMail's Recent mode: https://mail.google.com/support/bin/ans ... topic=1556

Thnx alot Daifne, actually this solves my problem from the very source, and I will try it out right now. Still I was wondering if there is a way to configure an account to SEND only.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Rocketman's answer tells you how to do that.
kevang

Post by kevang »

No it doesn't. Thunderbird will still try to download messages from the account when you click "Get Mail".
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

A Thunderbird account is only for receiving mail. It cannot send mail at all.

To send mail in Thunderbird, you use an identity, not an account. Unfortunately, Thunderbird's user interface makes the relationship between accounts and identities confusing.

Add an identity to your default account, and if necessary add a separate SMTP server for the new identity. The new identity can send mail independently of the account, and it will never try to receive mail.
Rod
palswim

Post by palswim »

Rod Whiteley wrote:A Thunderbird account is only for receiving mail. It cannot send mail at all.

To send mail in Thunderbird, you use an identity, not an account. Unfortunately, Thunderbird's user interface makes the relationship between accounts and identities confusing.

Add an identity to your default account, and if necessary add a separate SMTP server for the new identity. The new identity can send mail independently of the account, and it will never try to receive mail.

Thank you from a year in the future! I needed that distinction between "Accounts" and "Identities".

Can I only access/manage "Identities" within the Account Settings area?