couldn't load XPCOM.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jmelson

couldn't load XPCOM.

Post by jmelson »

I had some problems with thunderbird 2.0.0.16 pausing in the compose window, so installed 2.0.0.17 in a different directory. (It MAY have fixed the original problem, too!) But, now when I click on a URL in Thunderbird, nothing happens. If TB was started from a terminal window, I get the message "Couldn't load XPCOM."

This is on Linux CentOS 5.2, and Mozilla Firefox 3 Beta 5. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jon
steviex

Re: couldn't load XPCOM.

Post by steviex »

Check that Firefox is designated as the Default Browser.... http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_Browser#Linux

Are you using GNOME or KDE ?? KDE needs a bit more persuading to cooperate.....

Also you may find it helpful to update to a Production version of Firefox.... It is possible that this may have been a bug in the Beta 5 version of Firefox, that has been corrected in the actual release versions. We are now at 3.0.4 !

Check your Repository for a more up to date version...
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
3p8kh68

Post by 3p8kh68 »

Well, I tried everything in the above link. I have both 2.0.0.16 and 2.0.0.17 installed. It FIXED 2.0.0.16, but I still get the same non-response and "couldn't load XPCOM." message from 2.0.0.17 2.0.0.17 seems to have less of these one-minute pauses while in the compose window, so I'd like to use it, but the no URL response is kind of a pain.

Thanks,

Jon
jmelson

Post by jmelson »

Oh, and it is a Gnome desktop.
jmelson

Post by jmelson »

I've updated to 2.0.0.18, still same problem. I changed the Firefox to 3.0.4, so no beta version anymore. I just have no idea how to track this down. I have made Firefox the designated browser.

Thanks,

Jon
jmelson

Post by jmelson »

OK, new data. I allowed CentOS to apply all updates, including new Firefox and Thunderbird, and the problem has gone away. So, installing 2.0.0.18 from the thunderbird download page causes this problem, but having the update installed by CentOS does something extra that makes it work.
ogneton

Post by ogneton »

jmelson said: "I allowed CentOS to apply all updates"

how did you did that??... i have the same problem.... im running centos 5.2 on vmware and im having the same problem... i read all msgs posted in this windows i dont see any solution to the problem... could you please post your solution step by step... please...
ogenton

Post by ogenton »

i found in application -> system tools the software updater section... ... i bealive this is the answer we where hoping for to find... right now the job isnt done yet but when its done then i´ll tell you ...
ogneton

Post by ogneton »

its done but it didnt work for me... i now you´ve posted this msgs a lot of time ago but could anybody give a solution... thanxs